Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Nice Jimmy Smith story

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    REALLY. That's interesting all by itself.

Can you say more about it? I've declined some offers for a discounted first month or whatever; but there's often been a piece or two I've been interested in reading, blocked by the paywall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    It's the only site that I subscribe to and it's money well spent. They have some really great stories.
    The Athletic is also the only pub I've ever chosen to subscribe to, although I share Mrs Shas's NY Times subscription.

I mentioned dumping The Sun, which is too bad, because I would have really liked to have supported a local paper. But man, there is a case of a once-strong industry that was absolutely dumbfounded by the challenge of embracing the digital age. They spent hundreds of millions of dollars to open a new printing plant in Port Covington four years ahead of newspapers being offered online--and then never figured out how to adjust their business model: a free, ad-driven approach (see Google) versus a paywall business model. They kind of tried to have it both ways, and that failed badly. They were forced to close the once-great foreign bureaus, drop reporters, and share content with their other papers in LA and Chicago. The result is a terrible online user experience that prioritize ads over weaker and weaker content--who would pay for that?

I digress. The Athletic is ad-free, well written and well designed. If you are looking for next-morning beat-writer game recaps, you'll be disappointed. But the writers are free to instead do long-format deeper looks into whatever topic interests them. Zrebiec does a great job with the Ravens and Connelly with the Orioles. Over time I'm sure they'll add more writers. I find myself reading more about teams in other towns now, so I don't have such a narrow view. Although it allows you to custom-select the sports and teams that interest you.

For me, that means Ravens, Orioles and Terps BB and FB are always near the top, with other stories to follow. Patrick Stevens, who covers the Terps, is not nearly as good. I'm hoping Don Marcus lands there.

The other nice aspect is the "mailbag" columns and comment sections, which are worth reading, without the morons who tended to dwell on the Sun forums, and the authors are pretty active in interacting with the readers there--particularly Connelly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    ...too bad, because I would have really liked to have supported a local paper.
    I've lived in The Corridor all my life: the Washington Post is a local paper.
    I subscribed after the '16 election. Quality journalism is now more important than ever.

If you are looking for next-morning beat-writer game recaps, you'll be disappointed. But the writers are free to instead do long-format deeper looks into whatever topic interests them.
    I can get recaps anywhere: it's the least interesting form of sportswriting, to me. What you describe is much more interesting.

Patrick Stevens, who covers the Terps, is not nearly as good. I'm hoping Don Marcus lands there.
    Terps hoops is my other great consuming sports interest (although much less so since Gary left). A great writer covering would be a big sell, to me.

Thanks v much for the overview, Shas & RWT!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblue View Post
    After an abysmal couple of games against the Saints and Panthers he's certainly turned it around. An at-his-best Jimmy Smith and Marlon Humphrey have been a great tandem to watch lately.
    I agree, and would also give props to the "old" Raven, Brandon Carr. Don't know his contract, but he seems to still be productive @ 32. Those three, plus Tavon Young are a pretty strong CB combo... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsKickButt View Post
    We can also hope that he takes a pay cut instead of being cut. Get his salary down around $6M/year for the remaining years of the contract, maybe giving him incentives instead of base pay.
    I'd rather just see him cut after the season. He's way too fragile to play cornerback and you never know which game will put him out for the season. If we do manage to sneak into the playoffs this year, I can almost guarantee that Smith will not suit up do to another big injury.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Who doesn’t want Jimmy Smith to play well? He’s on the team for 2018 so everyone wants him to be the best he possibly can this year. Obviously though when there is talk of the future there is no way he isn’t going to be included on a cap casualty list being the 2nd highest paid player of the team. It’s a completely seperate issue though from wanting him to be good in 2018.
    My point is that people are quick to bash him (because of the expectations that come from having such a big cap number). He and Weddle and Mosley are popular targets.

So if he takes a pay cut for 2019, would you want him back as a free safety?
    "CARPE LOMBARDI"

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee414 View Post
    yes to answer your question, GKB is on a good path...

Nice Jimmy Smith story

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee414 View Post
    Yes, he’s good in Zone and Man coverage, can run with tight ends still, has ball skills and is a VERY aggressive tackler...perfect replacement for Weddle. He’s not as fast as 2013 Jimmy Smith, but still waaaay faster than Weddle. Plus you know if injuries pile up, Jimmy can play corner. Injuries aside, Jimmy has been one of the only Ravens who are dominant at their position since 2013 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't have enough corners I would keep him and replace the safeties

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    It's the only site that I subscribe to and it's money well spent. They have some really great stories.
    The Athletic is also the only pub I've ever chosen to subscribe to
    Thanks for the overview, guys. I pulled the trigger today, half-off for an anual subscription.

Welcome aboard.

Give it up for Jimmy he had a great game. Our corners didn't play there best but he was solid

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk