Trivia: Top-Rated High Schoolers, 2010

I happened to be thinking about college recruiting today with the news that Mike Locksley has been named head coach at Maryland. I was going back to look at what sort of job he did as a recruiter when he held the same job at New Mexico, 2009-2011.

I was looking specifically at rankings of the 2010 high school seniors--it's amazing how many names never developed. But there are some who definitely lived up to the billing.

That led to a fun observation about four members of the top-250 high schoolers from that class of 2010 who eventually signed with the Ravens as NFL rookies.

Without looking up the ratings from that year, see if you can guess who the players are, based on these clues:

1. They were nationally ranked at # 15, 37, 59 and 220 in the class of 2010.
    2. Only two came into the league four years later, however, in 2014. One came to the Ravens in '13 and one '16.
    3. Two were drafted by the Ravens as first rounders, one was a third rounder, and one was undrafted.
    4. Three play defense and one plays offense.
    5. Two are still with the Ravens, and the other two are not.
    6. Three are still in the NFL, and one is in the CFL.

Who are they?

Re: Trivia: Top-Rated High Schoolers, 2010

Too hard! lol
    I had to at least look at the Ravens draft for reference and only guessed one correctly.

3. Re: Trivia: Top-Rated High Schoolers, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I happened to be thinking about college recruiting today with the news that Mike Locksley has been named head coach at Maryland. I was going back to look at what sort of job he did as a recruiter when he held the same job at New Mexico, 2009-2011.

I was looking specifically at rankings of the 2010 high school seniors--it's amazing how many names never developed. But there are some who definitely lived up to the billing.

That led to a fun observation about four members of the top-250 high schoolers from that class of 2010 who eventually signed with the Ravens as NFL rookies.

Without looking up the ratings from that year, see if you can guess who the players are, based on these clues:

1. They were nationally ranked at # 15, 37, 59 and 220 in the class of 2010.
    2. Only two came into the league four years later, however, in 2014. One came to the Ravens in '13 and one '16.
    3. Two were drafted by the Ravens as first rounders, one was a third rounder, and one was undrafted.
    4. Three play defense and one plays offense.
    5. Two are still with the Ravens, and the other two are not.
    6. Three are still in the NFL, and one is in the CFL.

Who are they?
    Elam, 2013 1st rounder (I cheated and looked up if he was in the CFL. Could not believe he was still playing football).
    Mosley, 2014 1st rounder.
    Pierce 2016 undrafted.

Leaving a 2014 3rd rounder on offense who is still in the league. Looking up 2014 draft now...which leads me to Crockett Gillmore, who I think is out of the league.

edit: shakes fist at BYU
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

No more clues until someone gets them all correct.

(I'll be tied up until later tonight.)

I did not look this up, but did take the hint from OC21

2016 3rd Rounder is Bronson Kaufusi
    2014 1st Rounder is CJ Mosley
    2013 1st Rounder is Matt Elam

leaving a 2014 undrafted free agent on offense who is still on the Ravens...

I did not look up the HS Prospect Rankings but did look at the 2014 draft and the current roster.

2014 - James Hurst

However...you missed one who signed as free agent for the Ravens. And plays defense.

Never forget.

"The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    I did not look this up, but did take the hint from OC21

2016 3rd Rounder is Bronson Kaufusi
    2014 1st Rounder is CJ Mosley
    2013 1st Rounder is Matt Elam

leaving a 2014 undrafted free agent on offense who is still on the Ravens...

I did not look up the HS Prospect Rankings but did look at the 2014 draft and the current roster.

2014 - James Hurst
    This is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    However...you missed one who signed as free agent for the Ravens. And plays defense.
    Yes. Tony Jefferson was the fiftieth overall prospect coming out of high school in 2010. After an injury-riddled junior year that ended with Tony getting burned by a West Virginia team that featured Tavon Austin, Jefferson entered the 2013 draft. And he went undrafted.

Makes you wonder had the Ravens not taken Elam in the first round (and taken, oh, I don't know, Le'Veon Bell instead, who went 16 picks later) if Jefferson might have been the type of UDFA they might have signed after the draft instead of him going to Arizona?

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Never forget.

Made a thread on the old br.com board about a month before the draft how i didnt want elam at all. Wasn't well received.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Made a thread on the old br.com board about a month before the draft how i didnt want elam at all. Wasn't well received.
    I remember that, funny enough...
    Hated the pick too, wanted Cyprien instead.

Quote Originally Posted by horus13 View Post
    I remember that, funny enough...
    Hated the pick too, wanted Cyprien instead.
    So did i, neither were good