INTRODUCTION:

The top six rankings are CURRENT projected playoff seeds. Below the rankings, after comments, you will find my assessment of what needs to happen for the Baltimore Ravens to clinch a playoff berth.

1. New England Patriots (9-3)
2. Kansas City Chiefs (10-2)
3. Houston Texans (9-3)
4. Pittsburgh Steelers (7-4-1)
5. Los Angeles Chargers (9-3)
6. Baltimore Ravens (7-5)
-----------------------------------------------------
7. Denver Broncos (6-6)
8. Indianapolis Irsays (6-6)
9. Tennessee Titans (6-6)
10. Miami Dolphins (6-6)
11. Cleveland Browns (4-7-1)
12. Jacksonville Jaguars (4-8)
13. Buffalo Bills (4-8)
14. Cincinnati Bengals (5-7)
15. New York Jets (3-9)
16. Oakland Raiders (2-10)

ANALYSIS:

The current biggest threat to Ravens capturing the sixth seed is the Broncos. Denver has a ‘cupcake’ of a remaining schedule (@SF, vs Clev, @Oak, vs LAC). By Week 17, the Chargers could very well be locked into the fifth seed (if they don’t take the division) and thereby be in shutdown mode in Denver. If the Broncos ‘run the table’ it would force us to win three of our remaining four (@KC, vs TB, @LAC, vs Clev). That would mean we would have to win in KC or LA.

A. Simplest formula for Ravens to capture a Wildcard berth (sixth seed):

1. Win their remaining home games (Tampa Bay, Cleveland).
2. Win at least ONE of their remaining road games (Kansas City, Los Angeles (Chargers)) OR Denver loses at least one more game.
3. Stay reasonably healthy (i.e., avoid critical injuries).

B. Simplest formula for Ravens to capture the AFC North title (fourth seed):

1. Win their remaining home games (Tampa Bay, Cleveland).
2. Win at least ONE of their remaining road games (Kansas City, Los Angeles (Chargers)).
3. Steelers lose to both Patriots at home and Saints on the road.
4. Stay reasonably healthy (i.e., avoid critical injuries).

Following the above formulae SHOULD get the Ravens in. If they don’t make it, they only have themselves to blame. The loss in Cleveland still haunts them.

CC2