Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Do running QBs really take more of a punishment?

It's not necessarily going to be the big hit that hurts him. Sometimes it's just a flukey kind of thing like...the kick to the jaw he took last week...or like the "minor" hit Wentz took last year diving on a meaningless play....or the leg whip fracture that got McCoy in last nights game. Running the way he does he exposes himself to waaaayyy more different types of hits.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Lamar clearly hasn’t learned to slide. He does seem to get out of bounds more than Cam. He maybe be more elusive than Rovers and not take AS many hits as that type of QB but he’ll still get sacked and take hits running.

At the end of the day he needs to slide more and not take hits if he’s going to grow into a long term solution
    He hasn't learned to slide well. He definitely had at least one regular slide and a couple going down head first this last week. He looks worse than Flacco doing it though.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Russell Wilson should probably be the model here. He averages like 6 rushes per game for his career (fewer this year), Lamar Jackson should probably be closer to 10ish as he is a better runner, but nobody is better than Wilson at either getting out of bounds or sliding to avoid a hit.

The reality is that with his current running style Jackson has already gotten nicked up twice, tweaking his ankle once and then being evaluated for a concussion. That's 2 minor injuries or injury concerns in 3 games. I don't see him lasting a full season like that.

Taking hits in the pocket vs. hits as a runner is totally different because runners have no protection whatsoever. QBs in the pocket can't be hit high or low, yes there are some crushing hits handed out in the pocket but it's nothing compared to a defender flying into your knees at full speed or going helmet to helmet in the open field.
    That’s gotta be the one thing I’m worried of, Lamar’s 2 little injuries haven’t even come off big hits, that’s the risk with a running QB.

But I’m not so sure about the no protection thing. Qbs in the pocket are literally a still standing target. Their only protection is “feeling the pocket” collapse. As a runner you can at least see defenders coming.

What’d I’d like to see is a comparison between guys Lamar’s size taking hits in the pockets vs on the run. Because I think a lot of it has to do with how much bigger pocket QBs usually are. They can withstand more damage no matter the circumstance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    The only reason he is playing is because our pocket-bound pass first QB got injured...
    Right, the same pocket QB that, prior to this year, had missed 6 games total in 11 seasons.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Flacco gets hit a lot and he just stands there. QBs have the ball more than anyone else. Continue to build the OL around Lamar. He'll be fine. And slide five or whatever to not take the hit. Flacco got injured sliding.

Blog Entries

Somebody tell me that they expect Lamar to only miss 6 games in 11 seasons playing anywhere close to this. Somebody tell me he'll even last that long in the league playing like this. Tony Gonzalez has matter-of-factly said he isn't going to last, and Tony isn't one to be that blunt.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Nobody slides worse than Flacco. He blew out at least two knee braces trying to slide. Looks like a freaking giraffe trying to take a drink.

How are you calling a kick to the jaw an “injury”. Lmao he was in mandatory concussion protocol and was cleared... meaning he wasn’t injured.

Getting hit in the pocket is 100 times more dangerous than getting hit on the run. That’s why they had to make so many rule changes. For one when QBs get hit in the pocket it’s usually right after a throw so they are in awkward positions and not able to brace themselves before the hit.

Also many times the hit comes from behind.

A QB on the run if smart can make himself very low risk to injury by sliding, running out of bounds, and most of all not trying to run over a defender. Lamar has been good at not taking but hits, but there are still some plays he tries to get extra yardage when he should be going down.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Russell Wilson should probably be the model here. He averages like 6 rushes per game for his career (fewer this year), Lamar Jackson should probably be closer to 10ish as he is a better runner, but nobody is better than Wilson at either getting out of bounds or sliding to avoid a hit.

The reality is that with his current running style Jackson has already gotten nicked up twice, tweaking his ankle once and then being evaluated for a concussion. That's 2 minor injuries or injury concerns in 3 games. I don't see him lasting a full season like that.

Taking hits in the pocket vs. hits as a runner is totally different because runners have no protection whatsoever. QBs in the pocket can't be hit high or low, yes there are some crushing hits handed out in the pocket but it's nothing compared to a defender flying into your knees at full speed or going helmet to helmet in the open field.
    These are my views too. Wilson gets beat up too but not nearly as much as Cam, Mariota or Rodgers. He’s really smart with the way he protects himself. LJ has some of that in identifying the out of bounds but needs a in field body protection plan. Russell Wilson should be the model.

I must've imagined the Bengals game where he took loads of hits, include a bit of 'extra treatment' from Kirkpatrick when he was already down. Whenever a defensive player sees a QB running at them their eyes light up as it's an opportunity to put the opponent's back up QB into the game. It's why so many defenders cut it so fine when a QB slides and they hit him anyway.

To say a running QB isn't a greater risk for injury than a pocket QB is asinine. Sure any QB can get hit, but a hit at speed in the open field, without the QB protections he enjoys in the pocket is dangerous. It's also not just the risk of a big 'immediate injury' hit, it's the constant abuse that will wear them down (there's a reason teams have 3/4 RB's on a roster...), or maybe he takes a helmet to the throwing arm or hand- all things that add up to make games and seasons tougher as they go on.

Cam has had plenty of injuries and he's built like a tank.

The things is, fans hold on to one thing and never let it go until they get what they want. Multiple people will come on talking about him not sliding after every game. They did it after the Raiders game without realizing he ran out of bounds on every run except, I think, 2.

I don't put much into the body size argument because there's a lot more to that. Brett Favre wasn't some rare QB in terms of body size, but he played the same pocket style as many QBs and took way more hits than a lot of guys who spent more time missing games with injury than he did. Lamar has been running a similar style his whole life without injury. The catch with him though is you can just watch and see how he avoids hit. Defenders can rarely square up and lay into him because he's too shifty.

I'd rather see him run out of bounds every run, but I'm not losing my mind when a defender wraps him up for a tackle

There is a risk, but i would argue the risk isnt as bad as it used to be. If you pay attention, you will notice a lot of defenders are mostly trying to scare the qb into going down or out of bounds because the refs are looking to protect the qb. That said, it doesnt mean there arent kiko alonsos out there.