Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Do running QBs really take more of a punishment?

Quote Originally Posted by grerhat View Post
    Pocket passers take a beating too and they DONT have the luxury of sliding to avoid 300 pound linemen.

The harsh reality is the 'league' is dangerous, its basic physics coupled with strength of material.

Should LJ run less than his first game? Absolutely. Should LJ slide (or run for the sidelines)? Absolutely.

Does being an EXCLUSIVE pocket passer protect you from the "normal force" associated with a 300 pound lineman landing on you? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Parting shot: It would be disingenuous to start JF when he is healthy. If would do more to adversely affect the morale of the team then starting LJ and him having a bad game (leading to a loss).
    Of course not, but that whole '300lb lineman landing on the QB' has literally had a rule put on it showing how much additional protection QB's get within the pocket. Anyone can get an injury on any play of course, but running QB's are more likely to get hit more, as well as faster collisions in open field.

Haven’t Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, and Josh Allen all been hurt?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblue View Post
    Of course not, but that whole '300lb lineman landing on the QB' has literally had a rule put on it showing how much additional protection QB's get within the pocket. Anyone can get an injury on any play of course, but running QB's are more likely to get hit more, as well as faster collisions in open field.
    Did they call a penalty on the play where Pitt hurt Joe's hip?

Blog Entries

Don't fall into the trap of judging a hit by how forceful it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    Did they call a penalty on the play where Pitt hurt Joe's hip?
    I'll post part of my post again seeing you only read the first bit apparently- "Anyone can get an injury on any play of course, but running QB's are more likely to get hit more, as well as faster collisions in open field"

It doesn't change the facts that a huge number of new rules have been put in place to protect QB's. Those rules don't protect running backs which is what Lamar (and anyone else) becomes when he runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblue View Post
    And yet a horse-collar is illegal if somebody is running, but is not if the QB is in the pocket.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules.../horse-collar/
    Captain Offense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    And yet a horse-collar is illegal if somebody is running, but is not if the QB is in the pocket.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules.../horse-collar/
    Horse collar is a lot worse while running then standing still ask Musa Smith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Lamar clearly hasn’t learned to slide. He does seem to get out of bounds more than Cam. He maybe be more elusive than Rovers and not take AS many hits as that type of QB but he’ll still get sacked and take hits running.

At the end of the day he needs to slide more and not take hits if he’s going to grow into a long term solution
    Flacco doesn't know how to slide that well either. That's why he almost was beheaded against the Dolphins last year.

Quote Originally Posted by grerhat View Post
    Pocket passers take a beating too and they DONT have the luxury of sliding to avoid 300 pound linemen.

The harsh reality is the 'league' is dangerous, its basic physics coupled with strength of material.

Should LJ run less than his first game? Absolutely. Should LJ slide (or run for the sidelines)? Absolutely.

Does being an EXCLUSIVE pocket passer protect you from the "normal force" associated with a 300 pound lineman landing on you? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Parting shot: It would be disingenuous to start JF when he is healthy. If would do more to adversely affect the morale of the team then starting LJ and him having a bad game (leading to a loss).
    Well said. Again folks are acting as if Flacco was lighting up the league when he was in there. Also Flacco's accuracy was way off, his deep passes were pretty much punts or floaters. Lamar throws a better deep ball. I agree that Lamar has to work on his passing game but the talent is there.

10. Re: Do running QBs really take more of a punishment?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenIsh View Post
    Flacco doesn't know how to slide that well either. That's why he almost was beheaded against the Dolphins last year.
    Wut. He was almost beheaded last year because Alonso refused to stop when Flacco started his slide. Blaming Flacco for that hit is insane.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenIsh View Post
    Well said. Again folks are acting as if Flacco was lighting up the league when he was in there. Also Flacco's accuracy was way off, his deep passes were pretty much punts or floaters. Lamar throws a better deep ball. I agree that Lamar has to work on his passing game but the talent is there.
    Flacco is only above Sam Darnold in deep passing (20+ yards) qb rating with 52.6. He's 12/52 378 yards 3 tds 3 ints.

Remember Bart Scott gloating that he put "some hot sauce" on Mike Vick's ankle? That's all it takes, and defenders relish (condiments!) the chance to knock out the opposing QB.

I said when LJ was drafted that I'd be shocked if he was A) good enough or B) healthy enough to earn a second contract in Baltimore. Nothing I've seen in his three starts so far has made me waver from that in the least.

That said, I'm fine rolling with him, now and next year. I really hope the team can use the newfound cap space of having a rookie-contract QB to build around him sufficiently. On top of that, though it's a topic for another thread, I'd also of course like them to bring in an offensive minded HC who will be able to maximize his talent.