Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Good And The Bad (Week 9)

The good:

1. We are two games ahead in the division.

2. Jamal was huge running the ball. He did not get huge yards today, but he ran that ball much better than he did last week.

3. Mark Clayton. This kid is coming into his own.

4. Todd Heap. What more can be said about HEEEEAAAPPPPP.

5. Demetrius Williams. You can see the talent in this kid. He may not be having a Marques Colston type season, but DW could have just as huge a huge career in the NFL.

6. Steve McNair. He is the QB we have lacked over the last couple of seasons.

The bad:

Nothing really. Was not a perfect game, but nothing stood out as a major concern.

Why didn't Billick challenge that Mason endzone catch? It looked close enough to at least challenge. Oh well.

WE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Blog Entries

Re: The Good And The Bad (Week 9)

the only negatives i'd highlight are

1) We let teams hang around so the win comes in the last minute
    2) Giving up the big throw to Henry and almost losing Ray AND Reed!
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Yeah that long reception to Henry was almost a complete unmitigated disaster almost losing Lewis and Reed both plus the huge reception which put them within range of pulling out a win.

I also wasn't too thrilled with some of the clock management. The end of the first half we had time to get into FG range which turns out would have made a HUGE difference. And toward the end of the game so of the play calling was a little questionable where we should have run a few more times to run the clock down.

Overall though I'd say there's a TON of things I liked about this game. Cinci is probably the best 4-4 team in the NFL right now. They've had an absolutely brutal schedule so far.

- C -

Also:

Good - O-line play, except for Flynn stepping on the QB as usual and one bad snap that McNair had to chase down and fall on. Other than that, no sacks and McNair seemed to have a bunch of time to throw on a lot of plays.

Bad - still settling for fieldgoals far too much. If we had gotten even one more TD, we would not have had to sweat it out at the end.

I didn't mind the passing too much at the end, although I would have preferred that Heap was involved in that.

The stuff at the end of the first half drove me crazy. No way, you sit on two time outs like that, especially when you get the ball back with 1:06 left.

They've got to get the ball into Musa Smith's hands more often.

Still, very happy with the offensive performance today, a step up from last week's performance.

On defense, there's still very much an issue with giving up the big passing play that simply has to be addressed or it's going to be the downfall of this team.

They did get good pressure on Palmer and outside of a couple runs, were able to keep Rudi Johnson in check.

Half-way through the season with a 6-2 record, a two-game lead (with a head-to-head advantage over the second place team) in the division and the third easiest (by %) remaining schedule.

Life is good.

BAD......

The spot of the ball when they did not measure when Billick was pissed!! Billick should have challenged the spot of the ball as the refs took a good 2 feet away from us.

GOOD.............

GAME SPEED! That non call for interference on 4th down was good. At game speed, the defender got there when the ball got there.

Why didn't Billick kick the field goal to go up by 9 at the end and clinch the game? I was at a bar without sound, but no one could figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenDavey View Post
    BAD......

The spot of the ball when they did not measure when Billick was pissed!! Billick should have challenged the spot of the ball as the refs took a good 2 feet away from us.
    I agree with that too. If you watched it on TV, you heard Billick drop the F bomb to the referee.

As for more BAD:

Still the secondary getting burned like they do. Chris McAlister said on the post game show on MASN that he was out of position on that reception and run that Henry had going down the sidelines. They played better today then they did the past couple weeks, but they need to continue to communicate with each other. If not, our secondary could be our downfall.

The Bengals only got 50 offensive plays and 22:36 in TOP. Great job by the offense to shorten the game and keep our defense fresh. The O racked up 374 net yards of offense and held the ball for 37:24, very nice output even if it did take 69 plays.

The D only allowed 275 yards, right around our game average. They got the two picks and limited the big plays of the Bengals.

+3 Turnover ratio.

It seemed to me that the Bengals D was selling out to stop the run and was suffering in their pass defense. Our running game was just good enough (actually very good at times) to make the Bengals continue to respect it and try to stop it.

Consider this.. even if the Ravens go 4-4 the rest of the way, the Bengals would have to go 6-2 just to TIE us with tough games against the Chargers, Saints, Ravens, Colts and Broncos left on their schedule. I think it is more likely that the Bengals finish 7-9 or 8-8 with that schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave52 View Post
    Why didn't Billick kick the field goal to go up by 9 at the end and clinch the game? I was at a bar without sound, but no one could figure it out.
    I would assume Billick made that call because of the worry of a blocked field goal getting returned for a touchdown or to help set up a touchdown (btw, something along these lines did happen at the end of the Redskins/Cowboys game today). I still think I might have considered going for the field goal, although I understand why Billick didn't.

Speaking of that spot on that ball deep in the Bengals end that Billick didn't challenge, I'm not one who likes going for 4th down plays, but in that situation I think I would have.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenDavey View Post
    BAD......

Love hearing coach drop the f-bomb loud and clear!
    Does he get fined for that or CBS?
    Actual user comment from a yahoo sports article:

On this given sunday you will witnesses why we'll called steeler nation!!!