Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: What About Orlando?

The decision to not start Brown from day 1 may have cost this team, because James Hurst really didn't make an impact in pass protection from Right Tackle anyway. They still had to keep in too many extra blockers to take shots down the field. It has been shown that if the protection holds up, Flacco is fine. When the protection doesn't hold up and he doesn't have a legitimate weapon who can bail him out, you get a very different Flacco. Even with average pass catchers, the offense was doing better than expected until.....................you guessed it, there were injuries on the offensive line. Now, we'll never know how much better the run blocking would have been early on with Hurst at LG and Brown at RT.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Co-sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's Fabian Washington/Lardarius Webb all over again.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    He hates playing young guys unless they sre a unique talent. The only one that started without injury that i can think off is humph.

Everyone else even lamar has been due to injury
    Hump didn’t really “start”. He played behind Jimmy and Carr until they went Nickel.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    It's Fabian Washington/Lardarius Webb all over again.
    That’s his College coach mentality. Freshmen don’t start. Period. Joe wouldn’t have started. Rice didn’t start. It’s a good thing Harbage wasn’t here Year One or who knows how JO and Ray woulda turned out!

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Even though we all made fun of him, that combine was a blessing in disguise for us and we didn’t even know.
    Just because I was interested, I dug back and found the Zeus Deuce thread from Draft Season...

https://forum.russellstreetreport.co...lando-Brown-Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Just because I was interested, I dug back and found the Zeus Deuce thread from Draft Season...

https://forum.russellstreetreport.co...lando-Brown-Jr
    I still stand by what said when I started that thread. His lack of leg strength is still apparent to me along with some of his other weaknesses. I feel like his strengths and weaknesses are still very present and we got exactly what I saw in the film. I'm just glad that its working so well for the offense

Quote Originally Posted by purple_city39 View Post
    Brown has been great. How about Eluemunor though? He's filled in for Stanley very well more than once with no noticeable drop off (to me anyway). I wonder if he could play as well inside.
    For me, this is one of the big under-the-radar stories of this season so far.

To my (very untrained) eye, Eluemunor has played quite well at left tackle when called upon.

When he first went in, I expected disaster. But disaster did not arrive.

So I waited. Still no disaster. Granted, my expectations were modest, but Eluemunor met them, and then some.

I don't mean to say that we should let Stanley go or anything like that. I like Stanley and, when healthy, he should remain our starting LT. But Eluemunor is turning into a very happy surprise backup/swing tackle, and that has tremendous value because you never know when one of your starting tackles will go down. IMO he's playing his way into owning a roster spot.

Quote Originally Posted by BRfan96 View Post
    I still stand by what said when I started that thread. His lack of leg strength is still apparent to me along with some of his other weaknesses. I feel like his strengths and weaknesses are still very present and we got exactly what I saw in the film. I'm just glad that its working so well for the offense
    Bad pick at 16, tremendous pick at 83. I don't think that's changed either.

and of course the Ravens traded out of 16 and passed on Derwin James, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Teavo View Post
    For me, this is one of the big under-the-radar stories of this season so far.

To my (very untrained) eye, Eluemunor has played quite well at left tackle when called upon.

When he first went in, I expected disaster. But disaster did not arrive.

So I waited. Still no disaster. Granted, my expectations were modest, but Eluemunor met them, and then some.

I don't mean to say that we should let Stanley go or anything like that. I like Stanley and, when healthy, he should remain our starting LT. But Eluemunor is turning into a very happy surprise backup/swing tackle, and that has tremendous value because you never know when one of your starting tackles will go down. IMO he's playing his way into owning a roster spot.
    I wonder if Eluemunor could play Guard if needed... if he can then maybe finding a replacement for Yanda (not that you can really replace him) in the future would be less troublesome.

Stanley Hurst ___ Eluemunor Zeus2

Find that center and that's a sweet line.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensforce83 View Post
    Not to keep piling on the coaching staff but its very likely we don't even see OB2 playing if Hurst didn't get hurt.
    Lewis was stinking it up. No way to know with hypotheticals, but I think Harbs would have shuffled the O-line at the bye, with Hurst to LG.

The other thing is, Zeus Deuce might not look so great in practice. Posters have pointed out his knee bend / high pad level. Without game speed, coaches may have been concerned how he would handle pass rushers. It turns out he's a gamer and is able to compensate: but with Hurst playing well, I can see them not being highly motivated to risk a change.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    He hates playing young guys unless they sre a unique talent. The only one that started without injury that i can think off is humph.

Everyone else even lamar has been due to injury
    Flacco too.

But Michael Oher started right off the bat. Kelechi Osemele. CJ Mosley. Ronnie Stanley.

I think the issue is that our teams have usually been decent to good; so there's not always an easy path to winning a starting job for a rookie. So Harbs works them in, they build muscle in the weight room, and they start in year 2 or so.

How many "unique talents" have we drafted in the last several years, anyway? Even LJ, who definitely is a "unique talent" (ready or not), he had a decent starter in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by beavery View Post
    Begs the question why Brown Jr. didn't start the year at RT and we could have moved Hurst inside to guard where he played well last year.
    And what has Filmstudy said about how Hurst has played this year, at RT?