Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tyus Bowser sighting

So how about ol' Bowser. 2 pressures and half a sack on like 5 or 6 snaps? That ain't so bad. Does the kid get more opportunity if you're the coach? It seems the SAM spot is kinda open with how Z. Smith was lining up there instead of Judon, and that's not exactly his natural position. Seems like they're trying out some solutions there. When does Bowser get a shot?
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Re: Tyus Bowser sighting

Bowser was probably getting TWill's snaps.

I just don't get what's going on with Bowser. Last year he only had 161 defensive snaps. In those limited snaps he had 3 sacks, 3 passes defended, and an INT. That's extremely productive.

To compare, Judon had 787 snaps. That lead to 8 sacks, 3 PDs, 0 INTs, and 2 FF.

I don't get why Bowser isn't getting playing time unless he just can't pick up the playbook like Arthur Brown, but even then he's just been better when he gets a chance than Brown ever was

Quote Originally Posted by purple_city39 View Post
    I just don't get what's going on with Bowser. Last year he only had 161 defensive snaps. In those limited snaps he had 3 sacks, 3 passes defended, and an INT. That's extremely productive.

I don't get why Bowser isn't getting playing time unless he just can't pick up the playbook like Arthur Brown, but even then he's just been better when he gets a chance than Brown ever was
    This is exactly how I feel puple_city. I also feel that Bowser's skill set is so natural for the SAM position. I think Bowser and Williams can be our future SAM and RUSH if we actually gave them playing time.

Blog Entries

Unhappy Re: Tyus Bowser sighting

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    So how about ol' Bowser. 2 pressures and half a sack on like 5 or 6 snaps? That ain't so bad. Does the kid get more opportunity if you're the coach? It seems the SAM spot is kinda open with how Z. Smith was lining up there instead of Judon, and that's not exactly his natural position. Seems like they're trying out some solutions there. When does Bowser get a shot?
    Shrubbsy, I was a Bowser enthusiast in 2017. Even mocked him to us in 2 mock drafts. Yes we passed on Juju S-S, but I did think Bowser could be the OLB/pass rusher we badly needed (especially after the Correa disaster). He had 3 sacks, 1 INT (27 yard return), and 3 PDs in limited playing time in his rookie year. So you'd think our coaching staff would see, and develop, the obvious talent he brought, but NO... it's some sort of dog-house for him. Unless DeCosta brings something different to the table, just watch us lose Za'Smith, Judon, then Bowser and Tim Williams... wasting all those draft choices and still searching for an outside pass rush... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by purple_city39 View Post

Arthur Brown also was not a good player. There's a reason he's not in the league any more. The whole playbook thing was a PR excuse to avoid stating the obvious-- The guy was a bust of a 2nd round pick.

The reason for Bowser's lack of playing time is probably different. Maybe they think Judon plays early downs better and they think Tim Williams is the better pass rusher?

If you ask me I think it's either some sort of dumbass loyalty stunt to the "proven veterans" in Judon and Z Smith so that they get the snaps, or its truly the lack of vision and trust to see that Bowser can do some good things on defense especially in this day and age when second and third level defensive players need to be very quick twitch and mobile.

I'm with a lot of you guys on this. I don't get what it is. I think Bowser could easily be one of our best OLB if given the chance. Like you've said he gets limited snaps and with those snaps he has a knack for making plays. He gets some sacks, gets a pick, makes some plays in the open field. It just baffles me. I actually think Bowser would make for a good ILB as well. I think he has the range to be a guy who covers TE's well. I would definitely love to see him get more playing time. Try to salvage one of those damn early round picks we used.

Bowser can't play the run, period. Until he plays the run well, he's not getting snaps over other guys that can do it better (Judon, Smith).

I'd like to see him split time with Williams more on passing downs though.

Quote Originally Posted by ReedInTheWind View Post
    Bowser can't play the run, period. Until he plays the run well, he's not getting snaps over other guys that can do it better (Judon, Smith).

I'd like to see him split time with Williams more on passing downs though.
    Uuuuh, I've never noticed Bowser having issues against the run. Also isn't that what Suggs, Pierce, B. Williams, Young, Mosely, and Jefferson are supposed to do well? What's so bad about putting him in on obvious passing downs even if that claim is true? He's shown to be a pretty adept coverage linebacker. For my money, I want to see T. Williams and Bowser line up at RUSH and SAM respectively more often because that could be our future at the OLB position.

10. Re: Tyus Bowser sighting

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Uuuuh, I've never noticed Bowser having issues against the run. Also isn't that what Suggs, Pierce, B. Williams, Young, Mosely, and Jefferson are supposed to do well? What's so bad about putting him in on obvious passing downs even if that claim is true? He's shown to be a pretty adept coverage linebacker. For my money, I want to see T. Williams and Bowser line up at RUSH and SAM respectively more often because that could be our future at the OLB position.
    Good article on him: https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/20...verage-athlete

Main weakness: Poor block shedding/physicality leading to struggles against the run

11. Re: Tyus Bowser sighting

He also sucks at special teams and I'm sure that pisses Harbs off enough to sit him over other players

Quote Originally Posted by ReedInTheWind View Post
    Good article on him: https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/20...verage-athlete

Main weakness: Poor block shedding/physicality leading to struggles against the run
    I agree. He's light in the rear, and he doesn't want that sauce when engaging linemen. So, he's not going to get PT in running down/situations over Judon. Meanwhile, he isn't as naturally talented of a pass rusher as Williams, Suggs, and even possibly Smith. So, he isn't getting PT on passing downs. He just doesn't have a role on this roster he can own. Otherwise, he is talented enough to be on the field on Sundays.

If we switch to a 4-3 when we get a new coaching staff next season, he could be a very good SLB. He won't have to engage linemen quite as much in an even front, and he will just be able to flow towards the ball more against the run. Plus, he can be an asset as a pass rusher, and even solid in coverage in that type of role IMO. Honestly, I really think a scheme change would suit him well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk