Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Khalil Mack Hindsight

So I feel there's a sort of consensus on this board that we have a very deep roster but are in need of some top of the line playmakers. I also see a lot of people correctly noticing our pass rush is incredibly feast or famine, and that might be the biggest inconsistency on our pretty darn good defense. So I ask you this, do you think that if we had traded for Khalil Mack at the beginning of the season we would be in first place in the AFC North right now?

The Bears, the team that pulled the trigger on acquiring Mack, are currently in first in the NFC North and Mack has been as advertised for them. Last season they were a fairly mediocre team, and I know Trubisky has come on as well, but Mack has been a huge part of this team's success. It doesn't look to be a mirage either, they got a very convincing win on Sunday Night Football against a very good division rival. I know pass rush also helps create turnovers when you have a good secondary, which I think we do have. You have to think an elite playmaker like Mack would have tipped the scales in close games like @Cleveland and vs New Orleans. Who knows, maybe he makes the difference in some other games too. I think we'd be squarely in the playoff picture, and not looking to just limp in, if we had traded for Khalil Mack.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Re: Khalil Mack Hindsight

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    So I ask you this, do you think that if we had traded for Khalil Mack at the beginning of the season we would be in first place in the AFC North right now?
    We'd be in first place if we had drafted Juju over Bowser last year, and Calvin Ridley over H Hurst this year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    We'd be in first place if we had drafted Juju over Bowser last year, and Calvin Ridley over H Hurst this year.
    Preach!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

His contract includes $90M in guaranteed money. It was never a consideration

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    His contract includes $90M in guaranteed money. It was never a consideration
    If we wanted him we could have made it happen.

He's not a defensive tackle or a slow, small SS. Nope
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Can't imagine the difference that would make in our offense. Juju, Brown, Ridley, Snead would be very solid. That would be a group that could definitely help the offense score more than 20 points against decent football teams. That would like have been the difference in at least 2-4 of our losses this season.

Mack is a generational player. So yes, i would have traded for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamal55 View Post
    Mack is a generational player. So yes, i would have traded for him.
    this
    Burn it down

I think I would have traded for him to, and I think if we did we would be winning the AFC North. I don't know, just my thoughts.

Our roster is filled with just another guy type players. No Ed Reeds, no Ray Lewis type players. If we had Mack teams would be forced to game plan differently. It would make other around him much better. We need that star player we’ve lacked since Ray retired.

But did we have what it takes to get him? Draft picks. They gave up a 1 in 2019, a 1 in 2020, a 3 and 6 in 2020. We are already missing our 2 in 2019. That would mean no pick higher than middle round three this next draft. And 1/2 the following draft gone as well. Big price but one I’d pay.

I think they plan on trading their first to recover a second and extra 3 and maybe 4. GM like picks, sometimes too much. Trade back and get a decent 2 player and pickup a 3 and 4 to be inactive on game day. Yeah, that’s our plan.

Then there is the cap space issue. 23 million a year. About ten million more a year than we have. Redo a few contracts. Cut a few vets and you could do it but you will be strapped for cap space for the next five years. Nothing new there. Been there and done that.

I’d still do it. He gives you a three to four window you could compete for a SB shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfoh View Post
    Our roster is filled with just another guy type players. No Ed Reeds, no Ray Lewis type players. If we had Mack teams would be forced to game plan differently. It would make other around him much better. We need that star player we’ve lacked since Ray retired.

But did we have what it takes to get him? Draft picks. They gave up a 1 in 2019, a 1 in 2020, a 3 and 6 in 2020. We are already missing our 2 in 2019. That would mean no pick higher than middle round three this next draft. And 1/2 the following draft gone as well. Big price but one I’d pay.

I think they plan on trading their first to recover a second and extra 3 and maybe 4. GM like picks, sometimes too much. Trade back and get a decent 2 player and pickup a 3 and 4 to be inactive on game day. Yeah, that’s our plan.

Then there is the cap space issue. 23 million a year. About ten million more a year than we have. Redo a few contracts. Cut a few vets and you could do it but you will be strapped for cap space for the next five years. Nothing new there. Been there and done that.

I’d still do it. He gives you a three to four window you could compete for a SB shot.
    I find that those draft picks are usually better in our minds before we actually pick. So many 1st rounders are bounced out.