Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Khalil Mack Hindsight

Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    I don't know man, you can't pin SB hopes on one guy.

I don't think Chi is sniffing the playoffs this year without him. He is giving them the chance to compete right now.
    The whole SB or bust is some made up media narrative.

It’s a win if Chicago starts actually winning, contending, and starts putting fans back in the seats. People actually buying Mack jerseys outside of the hardcore Chicago fanbase.

The franchise is now bringing in boatloads if revenue, more of their games will be nationally televised.

So if all that happens behind acquiring Mack and they don’t win a SB it was a failure? There is much more to it than that.

Rams haven’t won a Super Bowl in LA yet. But did you see the stadium vs the chiefs? Sell out crowd. That’s because they are winning.

Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    I don't know man, you can't pin SB hopes on one guy.

I don't think Chi is sniffing the playoffs this year without him. He is giving them the chance to compete right now.
    But this isnt about pinning it on one guy. It's more about what they couldve done with the haul and cap room they gave up by acquiring one guy.

Mack gives you a big margin of error on drafting any position on defense for the next half decade at least.

And for the people saying the Bears were in a good situation to take on Mack and his salary, we aren’t in that different a situation ourselves. We have a young QB who looks promising and at worst should be able to duplicate Mitch’s success with a good offensive coach. The D also has some solid young players.

An offseason purge is all we need to move on from the old players...Except Williams who we’re probably stuck with at least another year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ReedInTheWind View Post
    With what we would've had to give up to sign him...
    Right, we'd have to back up one of these :

and fill it with $$$ ... Bc

Blog Entries

Aside from whether or not I would have traded for him, there is no doubt that Khalil Mack has changed that team in Chicago. The coaches have talked about how he's changed the culture. The players have talked about it. Schematically, you can see it on the field. I mean, you can count the ways.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by Tottenham Raven View Post
    But this isnt about pinning it on one guy. It's more about what they couldve done with the haul and cap room they gave up by acquiring one guy.
    Thats if those picks pan out. Even the best GMs miss. You need a QB, a tackle to protect your QB, and a guy to get to their QB. For a team with a QB on a rookie contract it was a good move.
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jfoh View Post
    Our roster is filled with just another guy type players. No Ed Reeds, no Ray Lewis type players. If we had Mack teams would be forced to game plan differently. It would make other around him much better. We need that star player we’ve lacked since Ray retired.

But did we have what it takes to get him? Draft picks. They gave up a 1 in 2019, a 1 in 2020, a 3 and 6 in 2020. We are already missing our 2 in 2019. That would mean no pick higher than middle round three this next draft. And 1/2 the following draft gone as well. Big price but one I’d pay.

I think they plan on trading their first to recover a second and extra 3 and maybe 4. GM like picks, sometimes too much. Trade back and get a decent 2 player and pickup a 3 and 4 to be inactive on game day. Yeah, that’s our plan.

Then there is the cap space issue. 23 million a year. About ten million more a year than we have. Redo a few contracts. Cut a few vets and you could do it but you will be strapped for cap space for the next five years. Nothing new there. Been there and done that.

I’d still do it. He gives you a three to four window you could compete for a SB shot.
    This is the difference in our defense. We don’t have that generational talent on defense like we’ve used to.

Quote Originally Posted by BMORERavens View Post
    This is the difference in our defense. We don’t have that generational talent on defense like we’ve used to.
    *Derwin James is loving it here in SoCal*
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    *Derwin James is loving it here in SoCal*
    ugh. Please don't remind me.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    ugh. Please don't remind me.
    Sorry, im still salty as fuck on that pick

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    Sorry, im still salty as fuck on that pick
    Call me the King of Salty. We all called that on draft night. Passing on a possible generational talent for another JAG. That's going to sting for a long time.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Call me the King of Salty. We all called that on draft night. Passing on a possible generational talent for another JAG. That's going to sting for a long time.
    I feel like that has happened quite a bit on the O side of the ball, but i was shocked as hell when we didnt take him. Most Ozzie move of all time....or would have been.