Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Re: Lamar Comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    My worry about Lamar is that, while he's saying all of the right things, he won't want to hear it either. He admitted to Dan Patrick that he doesn't and has never practiced sliding. That's why the Head Coach needs to place emphasis on it, instead of enabling him. Coach doesn't have a problem with it, why should he?
    Then coach is an idiot
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

2. Re: Lamar Comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    I think it was in a different thread, but here you go :

Almost all of his pass attempts were to the middle or right, only 3 to the left and all were incompletions. Is that a sign that Crabtree sucks, or that Lamar doesn't trust him as much as he does Snead and the TEs, or that Crabtree was always his last read going right to left, or that Lamar has issues throwing to his left? Something to keep in mind going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    Is that a sign that Crabtree sucks, or that Lamar doesn't trust him as much as he does Snead and the TEs, or that Crabtree was always his last read going right to left, or that Lamar has issues throwing to his left?
    Flacco has consistently had issues throwing to his left. If you look at breakdowns like those, year after year he is much better throwing to his right then his left. I bet on his career the split is insane.

Which is just a side note, has nothing to do with your question. It may just be that most of Lamar's play fakes were to his right, which leaves him right arm upfield: a natural throwing posture for a righty. That would make his scans on those plays R-to-L, since he would be turned partially to the right sideline on the fake.

I'm just making shit up, I don't really know.

Blog Entries

Here’s Flacco’s passing chart for this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 11-21-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    Almost all of his pass attempts were to the middle or right, only 3 to the left and all were incompletions. Is that a sign that Crabtree sucks, or that Lamar doesn't trust him as much as he does Snead and the TEs, or that Crabtree was always his last read going right to left, or that Lamar has issues throwing to his left? Something to keep in mind going forward.
    Definitely have to see how it all comes along.
    His 2017 heat map was strongest in the short-left zone, so it shouldn't be an issue psychologically.
    Har-weg may want an abnormally high proportion of LJ's throws to his front at this stage.

Does LJ have a strong favor for his front side in scrambling? I can't recall, but that's probably meaningful going forward.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

I'm going to triple-check but they have a video on YouTube of every run and pass from LJ last Sunday and I thought I saw only like 2 passes beyond 10 yards. Is that charting including YAC? I wouldn't think it is, so maybe I need to get my eyes checked.

I don't see how anybody can be impressed with LJ's pocket passing from Sunday. I'm not saying the potential isn't clearly there, he just barely passed from the pocket and when he did, they were relatively easy completions. To be clear, that's what you want in a rookie's first start, I just think we need to moderate our expectations pretty heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I'm going to triple-check but they have a video on YouTube of every run and pass from LJ last Sunday and I thought I saw only like 2 passes beyond 10 yards. Is that charting including YAC? I wouldn't think it is, so maybe I need to get my eyes checked.

I don't see how anybody can be impressed with LJ's pocket passing from Sunday. I'm not saying the potential isn't clearly there, he just barely passed from the pocket and when he did, they were relatively easy completions. To be clear, that's what you want in a rookie's first start, I just think we need to moderate our expectations pretty heavily.
    I mean, bmorecareful, I think we're just saying Jackson passed the test. Did he have a game that made me say he should be the unquestioned starter, Joe Flacco who? No. But he made the throws he was asked to make and he showed legitimate improvement from the last time we saw him in really extended action. He could've gone out there and been a lot worse. I think if we put preseason Lamar out there we wouldn't have won the game. And that's what I wanted to see. Progression. He showed some signs of real promise.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

You hope it is Russell Wilson. He is not as athletic as Vick. He is probably a better passer than Vick. Vick may have been the most athletic NFL player of all time. His speed an elusiveness were insane. He almost took a mediocre VT team to a NC. LJ's first game tells us nothing about what he could be as a QB. I believe he had 0 throws to the sideline. All his throws were short over the middle or on roll outs. The game plan Sunday was not sustainable. It is not until they allow him to make all the necessary throws will we see what he is as a QB.

9. Re: Lamar Comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    His 2017 heat map was strongest in the short-left zone, so it shouldn't be an issue psychologically.
    Har-weg may want an abnormally high proportion of LJ's throws to his front at this stage.

Does LJ have a strong favor for his front side in scrambling? I can't recall, but that's probably meaningful going forward.
    If you made me guess, I'd say that this explains it. The game plan was to ease Lamar into the NFL with a bunch of "easy" reads and throws. That included a lot of routes to the middle of the field, as well as rolling the pocket and cutting the field in half. Typical stuff imo.

Either the video is incomplete, or your memory is inaccurate (in good news, I'm sure your eyes are fine ). They don't include YAC. Here are his 10+ Air Yard throws according to GSIS:

Quarter Time Target Air Yards Complete Gain
    06:56
    M.Crabtree
    14:28
    M.Andrews
    00:19
    J.Brown
    05:06
    W.Snead IV
    04:35
    03:21
    C.Moore
    03:28
    W.Snead IV
    13:47
    W.Snead IV
    11:20
    N.Boyle

The data seem to match pretty well. We see the 4 completions and 2 incompletions over 10 Air Yards. I think the 12 yard targetless pass is missing from the visual chart because it was thrown well out of bounds.

As far as being impressed with LJ, there are a few factors:
    • He's shown stark improvement over his TC, preseason, and early RS results. At this pace, he'll be better than Mahomes! (please click the link before you roast me).

• He matched the (low) expectations for a rookie passer

• He also brought elite play-making skill as a ball carrier/decoy, which this offense simply doesn't have.

I've said elsewhere that what he did Sunday didn't make me instantly anoint him the starter over a healthy Joe. He also didn't give me any reason to think he can't be a starting QB in the NFL. Sure, he only made "easy" throws from the pocket or whatever, but he's completing those passes. I'd argue measuring him solely by his pocket passing is a mistake because one of the main skills he brings to the table is his ability to avoid the rush as the pocket breaks down and still complete passes/make plays., Have you seen this play?! I was astounded watching live, and it's only gotten better on replay. Or how about this one?

TLDR, you may be using the wrong measuring stick. Lamar is not going to play QB like Joe, and that's fine.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Forgot that I saved it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY00...02lm1&index=20

Some things that popped...

If the club stays with LJ, an OL "adjustment" that will be necessary is for guys to constantly look for work in pass-pro.
    If the ball is not downfield in 3+ secs, just get in a guy's way, if nothing else. Let LJ maneuver.

Saw a nice chip by TyMont on Atkins. Bought LJ a bit more time.

Again if he becomes the guy, LJ and the WRs need to have some conversations and about breaking open if LJ scrambles.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Hello, self. Based upon the small sample set from ^^^, he doesn't.

@BigPlayReceiver

12. Re: Lamar Comparisons

Hello, self. Based upon the small sample set from ^^^, he doesn't.
    Were results better scrambling right than left? I can only remember 3 scrambles off the top of my head, and there's definitely some bias in that sample (the 2 to the right were his best plays of the day imo).
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)