Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Don't Start Lamar Under This Regime

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    To me, all of this has been as perfect for Lamar as can be expected under Harbs.
    He didn't have to come in and start right away.
    He had all of training camp and preseason...and then 8 games of real game experience...seeing and feeling the speed of the game which to my understanding is WAY faster at the pro level and was great for Lamar to experience already.
    He learned how to prepare for the pro game, and learn the playbook. It can all be quite overwhelming for any rookie.
    So for him to have been able to take his time and ramp up...because that's exactly what he has been doing, I look forward to seeing him start.
    And I am a big Flacco fan, but I can see it is time...and this might actually be perfect timing.
    Just when everyone is counting them out...and their backs are to the wall...
    The entire team is getting healthy at the precise moment he steps behind center. It's time and a spark is surely needed.
    We might even witness the beginning of something very special.
    Short of him sitting the whole season I agree that coming in after the bye is ideal in terms of his ability to get coached up and get acclimated to NFL game speed.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I agree with the OP but maybe for slightly different reasons. Even if we had Andy Reid or another great offensive minded HC, Lamar Jackson isn't ready. IMO he shouldn't be active at all this season much less playing--bringing him in for the gimmick package only forces him more into a mindset that he is a "running QB" instead of a "QB who can run."

He needs to be focused on fixing his mechanics and learning the offense. Asking him to play significant snaps or start right now hampers his development and helps no one; the team will likely still be 8-8 and miss the playoffs. There is literally no upside to starting Lamar Jackson right now unless you believe he can win 1-2 more games than Flacco, which I doubt.
    Cmon man, you still in that training camp mindset that he's not even close to being an NFL QB which IMHO was absurd then and even more so three months later. Your last sentence says it all, we can win more games with Lamar at this point than Joe, I mean that remains to be seen, but given what Joe's given us for 5+ years it doesn't take that much imagination to consider that that is precisely the upside that even as a rooke, LJ offers the team...improving your chance to win games. Given the injuries along the line, and Marvin's dominance of Joe even in his best years, and of course Joe's bad hip...starting Lamar should be a no-brainer but we'll just have to see what Coach Harbaugh decides to do come 1 pm Sunday.
    "Did Ed Reed get the respect that he deserves? No he did not...Am I gonna get it? Probably won't. Hopefully he do. If I don't, then, hey, man, I'm alright with me." - Ed Reed

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    What mechanics are they trying to fix with him? I know he throws the ball sideways sometimes, usually when throwing lanes dictate it, or are you talking footwork?
    He needs a complete mechanics rebuild, he throws the ball flat-footed far too often and his throwing motion is very inconsistent. His lower body is too uninvolved, he makes up for it because he does have very good arm strength, but he will never be accurate without completely overhauling his mechanics. Vick was the same way coming into the league and never progressed, which made him the player he was: a runner who could throw the ball sometimes, but not a true passer.

Lamar Jackson is more advanced than Vick was as a passer coming into the league, but he needs a lot more work.

He needs a complete mechanics rebuild, he throws the ball flat-footed far too often and his throwing motion is very inconsistent. His lower body is too uninvolved, he makes up for it because he does have very good arm strength, but he will never be accurate without completely overhauling his mechanics. Vick was the same way coming into the league and never progressed, which made him the player he was: a runner who could throw the ball sometimes, but not a true passer.

Lamar Jackson is more advanced than Vick was as a passer coming into the league, but he needs a lot more work.
    I think the lower body mechanics is mainly what he needs to work on. I dont remember much about Vick as a rookie.
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Blog Entries

It's going to be hard not to play Lamar Hater given how many Flacco Haters are on his bandwagon.

Interesting that excuses are coming out even before he's started a game.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

He needs a complete mechanics rebuild, he throws the ball flat-footed far too often and his throwing motion is very inconsistent. His lower body is too uninvolved, he makes up for it because he does have very good arm strength, but he will never be accurate without completely overhauling his mechanics.
    you talking about Flacco?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Lamar's stance was too narrow at times affecting his accuracy and power. Carson Wentz had similar mechanics issues and fixed them in his rookie season while playing. Flacco still has footwork issues. Some fix it, some don't.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    It's going to be hard not to play Lamar Hater given how many Flacco Haters are on his bandwagon.

Interesting that excuses are coming out even before he's started a game.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Why's it gotta be either/or? Why can't we just root for the starting QB to get us a W come Sunday, even if that's Griffin? I mean damn. I love Jackson's potential but I equally love what Joe has meant to this franchise and what he's done for us in his first six years. In a perfect world he's our QB through 2019 but that doesn't look good right now. I also love Griffin's role on this team even though so many still can't figure out his value...but that's on those fans, not on the Ravens to explain. Most importantly, just stop hatin' and just accept all our QBs have flaws and Jackson has the highest upside CLEARLY. Surely we'd agree on that?
    "Did Ed Reed get the respect that he deserves? No he did not...Am I gonna get it? Probably won't. Hopefully he do. If I don't, then, hey, man, I'm alright with me." - Ed Reed

8. Re: Don't Start Lamar Under This Regime

Quote Originally Posted by Jam31 View Post
    Short of him sitting the whole season I agree that coming in after the bye is ideal in terms of his ability to get coached up and get acclimated to NFL game speed.
    Didn't they not practice over the bye? Coaches basically threw out any advantage they would have had in "coaching up" LJ/adjusting the offense to fit his style. They have the same exact number of practices (3+ Sat walkthrough) as they would any other week.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Quote Originally Posted by Jam31 View Post
    Why's it gotta be either/or? Why can't we just root for the starting QB to get us a W come Sunday, even if that's Griffin? I mean damn. I love Jackson's potential but I equally love what Joe has meant to this franchise and what he's done for us in his first six years. In a perfect world he's our QB through 2019 but that doesn't look good right now. I also love Griffin's role on this team even though so many still can't figure out his value...but that's on those fans, not on the Ravens to explain. Most importantly, just stop hatin' and just accept all our QBs have flaws and Jackson has the highest upside CLEARLY. Surely we'd agree on that?
    Its against the rules to be objective here
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

10. Re: Don't Start Lamar Under This Regime

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    To me, all of this has been as perfect for Lamar as can be expected under Harbs.
    He didn't have to come in and start right away.
    He had all of training camp and preseason...and then 8 games of real game experience...seeing and feeling the speed of the game which to my understanding is WAY faster at the pro level and was great for Lamar to experience already.
    He learned how to prepare for the pro game, and learn the playbook. It can all be quite overwhelming for any rookie.
    So for him to have been able to take his time and ramp up...because that's exactly what he has been doing, I look forward to seeing him start.
    And I am a big Flacco fan, but I can see it is time...and this might actually be perfect timing.
    Just when everyone is counting them out...and their backs are to the wall...
    The entire team is getting healthy at the precise moment he steps behind center. It's time and a spark is surely needed.
    We might even witness the beginning of something very special.
    I'll add to your list - the team we are playing against is "perfect for Lamar" as well.

While Marvin's zone D has confounded Joe for years, they are on pace to be a historically bad defense this year, surrendering yards at an unprecedented level.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    Didn't they not practice over the bye? Coaches basically threw out any advantage they would have had in "coaching up" LJ/adjusting the offense to fit his style. They have the same exact number of practices (3+ Sat walkthrough) as they would any other week.
    They're not allowed to practice during bye week but that doesn't stop the coaches from building the offensive plan and getting that info to Lamar. The advantage is that they knew about Flacco's hip and had an extra week to game plan

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

12. Re: Don't Start Lamar Under This Regime

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    They're not allowed to practice during bye week but that doesn't stop the coaches from building the offensive plan and getting that info to Lamar. The advantage is that they knew about Flacco's hip and had an extra week to game plan
    Where did you get this information from?

edit: Can confirm that statement is at best incomplete.

Quote Originally Posted by NFL CBA
    Section 2. Bye Weeks: During any regular season bye week period occurring during the term of this Agreement, players will be given a minimum of four consecutive days off. Such four-day period must include a Saturday and a Sunday unless the Club is scheduled to play a game on the Thursday following the bye week, in which case players may be required to report to the Club on the Sunday preceding the Thursday game. In such an event, the four-day period shall be Wednesday through Saturday. Any injured player may be required to undergo medical or rehabilitation treatment during such four-day period provided that such treatment is deemed reasonably necessary by the Club’s medical staff
    Last edited by organizedchaos21; 11-15-2018 at 12:37 PM. Reason: added source data
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)