Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

How do you build the team?

Say Bisciotti gives you free reign to build this team in the offseason. A blank check and free autonomy to build the Ravens back to winners. How do you do it? Do you prioritize defense and if so which position groups? Or do you prioritize offense? And if so, how do you implement an offense? Do you go with a WCO or an ACO? I'd love to hear what you guys think.

Blog Entries

Re: How do you build the team?

Dominant OL and a Dominant Front 4 on the Defensive Line.

If you can consistently get to the QB with 4, that leaves 7 guys behind you that are able to capitalize on errant throws and miscues.

As far as WR's my biggest trait is route running and guys that can make contested receptions. I dont want guys that drop open passes and I want guys that can make the tough catches with defenders around them. Think Alshon Jeffery on one side and a Julian Edelman in the slot.

As far as TE's are concerned, I think you need a TE that can block and essentially be an extension of the OL; however, I think you also need a dynamic TE capable of being a legitimate red zone threat and chain mover.

Defensively, if you have a dominant front-4, I think you can get away with lesser talent at LB and in the secondary. However, I would put a big emphasis on at least one stud corner or a stud coverage safety. You need to be able to take away parts of the field and you can't do that without a good corner and/or good safety.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

If you can consistently get to the QB with 4, that leaves 7 guys behind you that are able to capitalize on errant throws and miscues.

As far as WR's my biggest trait is route running and guys that can make contested receptions. I dont want guys that drop open passes and I want guys that can make the tough catches with defenders around them. Think Alshon Jeffery on one side and a Julian Edelman in the slot.

As far as TE's are concerned, I think you need a TE that can block and essentially be an extension of the OL; however, I think you also need a dynamic TE capable of being a legitimate red zone threat and chain mover.

Defensively, if you have a dominant front-4, I think you can get away with lesser talent at LB and in the secondary. However, I would put a big emphasis on at least one stud corner or a stud coverage safety. You need to be able to take away parts of the field and you can't do that without a good corner and/or good safety.
    Dominant front 4 Dline + Great Safety play is the key to a dominant defense IMO. That makes up for average CB and LB play in space. ( You cant have scrubs, but you dont need elite talent at CB or LB with safeties)

Innovative offensive mind, top 10 RB and a WR core that is well above average
    Burn it down

It all starts with an elite QB. Everything becomes easier with that in place. Unfortunately I don't think LJ is going to be elite.

A lot of good a blank check does when the bank account is depleted (cap space) and you've maxed out your credit cards (restructures).

Time to consolidate the debt (cut the over the hill vets) and cut back on the luxuries (signing FAs with marginal talent to big contracts) for a year or two. Invest draft picks wisely.

You start by identifying what your long term talent is on this team and you build around it. We have a couple of good bookend offensive tackles in Stanley and Zeus Jr. We have a young athletic QB in Lamar. We have a star in the making #1 CB in Humphrey. We have the best Kicker in the NFL. We have a couple of good young TE.

To me that looks like the offense has more long term prospects than the defense which only has Humphrey and what remains to be seen of the 2018 draft class. So you need to find an offensive minded HC who is going to work with Lamar and know how to get the most out of him. Harbaugh is not that guy. He doesn't know how to tailor a system around his talent. He is the personification of jamming a square peg into a round hole.

As far as drafting philosophy goes, we need to get back to what originally made our FO one of the best in football. Pure, raw, BPA on either side of the ball. We need elite talent everywhere we can get it. Hoarding a bunch of day 3 picks to fill out the roster with a bunch of JAGs ain't getting it done. What that gets you is a high floor/low ceiling team that will never get over the 8-8 hump as we've seen here in Baltimore the past 6 years.

As a team you need to figure out what your strength is and maximize that while hiding your deficiencies. Trying to build a complete team from top to bottom isn't feasible in the NFL. We're honestly one good interior lineman away from having an elite OL. That's something that can be achieved with as little as a day 2 draft pick. From there, to have a legit offense, we just need a WR to work the boundary/stretch the field along with a RB that holds onto the ball.

On defense just go for pure speed and athleticism and simplify the defensive system. I'm tired of drafting guys who are athletic but don't have what it takes between the ears to get on the field to run these complex defensive systems we have here in Baltimore. It's a huge waste of draft capital. KISS - Keep it simple stupid. Our coaches are constantly putting our guys in a position to react instead of being able to rely on instincts and athleticism.

Yup. I agree with all of that.

If all EDC addressed in 2019 was OL and D-front, I'd be happy.

If we go from this iso route nonsense, and back to option routes (like in 2015 when Joe had a nice YPA despite crap WRs and TEs under the age of 36) then I think JBrown, Snead, Crab, et al. are fine.
    Pick up a big-body, big radius guy like Metcalf, Butler or Harry, if one falls to you, sure, but again...OL and D-front.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

I can't do a detailed post right now, but in general, my philosophy would be if it doesn't impact the passing game, it's not a priority. I would carry that across all aspects of player acquisition...the draft, FA, re-signing my own guys. No more of this "we gotta stop the run" bullshit this organization has made a priority for years.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Dominant front 4 Dline + Great Safety play is the key to a dominant defense IMO. That makes up for average CB and LB play in space. ( You cant have scrubs, but you dont need elite talent at CB or LB with safeties)

Innovative offensive mind, top 10 RB and a WR core that is well above average

With a much improved OL, the top 10 RB or RBBC will come--and for not much draft or UFA capital.
    On top of that, with an innovative HC/OC, the passing game can evolve from liability to a constant threat.

Just need a QB that can read defenses, remain cool and make smart decisions with the ball.
    Today's best young QBs weren't "top-era" talent as prospects, but they do have competent management on their side.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    It all starts with an elite QB. Everything becomes easier with that in place. Unfortunately I don't think LJ is going to be elite.
    I wouldn't even say an elite QB. I think if you have a dominant OL and decent skill players, you can still produce a heck of an offense.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    With a much improved OL, the top 10 RB or RBBC will come--and for not much draft or UFA capital.
    On top of that, with an innovative HC/OC, the passing game can evolve from liability to a constant threat.

Just need a QB that can read defenses, remain cool and make smart decisions with the ball.
    Today's best young QBs weren't "top-era" talent as prospects, but they do have competent management on their side.
    Really think we need to spread teams out more. NFL is going to trend more and more into the college look. I'd have a lot of 3WR, 1 TE pistol sets if Im coaching lamar.

Spread them out, make the reads as easy as possible, slam them up the middle when they neglect neglect the run threat
    Burn it down

Blog Entries

Scheme wise on offense I think they should be modeling it after what the Patriots used to do when they had Gronk and Hernandez. Not sure what other teams today use 2 TEs in that fashion. I think moving forward the next 3-4 years, TE is going to be a major strength on this team, with Andrews already playing very well and you can see Hurst's potential too. You have Snead who can do some of what Edelman and Welker used to do and then Brown, who should be re-signed, as the deep ball guy. This is, of course, if Lamar can handle it.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

co-sign.

dominance in the trenches is where games are won and lost. Makes everything else better.
    When specifically talking about this team. I think you need to upgrade the interior of the OL, and depth. Our DL is solid and deep, but we lack a stud. I look for a blend of strength and agility on both sides of the ball. ability to bend means getting lower and winning with leverage. long arms for OL is a plus. quick hands and burst for DL is a plus.

our QB situation is murky, imo. Ive not been impressed with LJ so far and think these part time plays have been disruptive to our offense more than anything. Im not sold on him if a better option becomes available, mostly because im not sold on a RPO offense being dominant in the NFL, than his ability to run on effectively. I wouldnt have gone down that path to begin with. I think we have to see it out for a few years to see if he can progress into more, but I think thats a gamble as well. I prefer pocket passers.

I think were set at WR and TE, more so TE. I like Hurst, but I think Mark Andrews is going to be the real deal, total package. he plays like a WR, but with the size to be able to block effectively. WR I like what we have and think it makes sense. we need to use them better. Id like to see us get younger, and finding a guy that can win one on one consistently is always a goal.
    -JAB