Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

should the ravens do this also?

Re: should the ravens do this also?

Hire her for the fans

Ideally every employment or school or whatever should have this but in reality a lot couldn't afford it. In the uk mental health is a major issue, biggest killer of men, but if you wanted an appointment you'll wait months

Blog Entries

Not only should they hire someone, but I would go so far as to say they should hire someone who has experience with the pressures of being an NFL player if that person it out there and credentialed. While education is important, often times, it can be a game-changer to have someone who has experienced what you've experienced and has personally felt the feelings you've felt. Some are good at recognizing that life is not in a book, but others lean on the book too much.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Not only should they hire someone, but I would go so far as to say they should hire someone who has experience with the pressures of being an NFL player if that person it out there and credentialed. While education is important, often times, it can be a game-changer to have someone who has experienced what you've experienced and has personally felt the feelings you've felt. Some are good at recognizing that life is not in a book, but others lean on the book too much.
    Or at least a therapist that has been a college athlete. Athletes understand athletes. It is a different mindset than the non-athlete.

Remember - we live in a world where mental issues are a sign of weakness. No matter if it is at the level of the professional athlete or Joe and/or Jane Sixpack going to their jobs and/or housekeeping responsibilities.

I still believe Breshad Perriman could have had a career, if someone had helped manage his depression.

I have exactly zero evidence in support of this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsKickButt View Post
    Or at least a therapist that has been a college athlete. Athletes understand athletes. It is a different mindset than the non-athlete.
    Very good point. Athletic pressure is unique.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I would think almost every team or high end *insert business industry* does this. If you ever watch Billions (wall street douchebag stock brokers, great show) , they have a in house therapist, i think shes called a performance coach, cant remember. But the Psychology of sports is a huge aspect, if not THE aspect.
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    I still believe Breshad Perriman could have had a career, if someone had helped manage his depression.

With zero clinical evidence myself, I'd definitely put Trent Richardson on that list.

No doubt in my mind that 100s of current and former players could be diagnosed.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Not just the Ravens, I think every team should do this. The NFL and the teams have the $ to afford it. The players - and coaches - would benefit greatly from having a qualified individual available and present.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post

Don't doubt it, and The Bank I worked for had confidential/free therapy if an employee asked for it. Likely it was given on their lunch hour (?) However Jimmy, you wrote "if someone had helped manage his depression." How about he/himself initiating it? Why is it seemingly today that someone else has to take up the responsibility? There are so many jobs that have pressure, even are life threatening (police, firefighters, etc.). So now pro athletes, who make millions, need their team to also supply psychological help? Keep in mind I'm pretty much along in years, so my background comes from a different era of self-responsibility... Bc