Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
  1. Re: I'm nervous about this election

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    No. And neither are the PACs that make and pay for ads
    True. And when it's all said and done, people still have the right to go into the voting booth and make a choice. I see both sides of this, as most do. But, some people don't even want to address the fact that it's all found to be constitutional. Then......what to do to change it? Suggestions? Is that crickets I hear.....?

Re: I'm nervous about this election

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    True. And when it's all said and done, people still have the right to go into the voting booth and make a choice. I see both sides of this, as most do. But, some people don't even want to address the fact that it's all found to be constitutional. Then......what to do to change it? Suggestions? Is that crickets I hear.....?
    I see both sides too, and it’s all constitutional. As blah said...this is a classic case of wanting a rule/law simply based on “I don’t like that”...freedom of speech be damned.

What would be the solution? How is it handled? What’s the cap? Who determines? What are the parameters?

3. Re: I'm nervous about this election

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    I see both sides too, and it’s all constitutional. As blah said...this is a classic case of wanting a rule/law simply based on “I don’t like that”...freedom of speech be damned.

What would be the solution? How is it handled? What’s the cap? Who determines? What are the parameters?

I wonder just how many people who steadfastly argue about Voter ID laws being "unfair" and claim those laws are "suppressing the vote" flip right around and jump right in to claim people are "buying" our politicians. I guess they don't mind free speech being "suppressed". Funny how that works.....

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    I don't know what that means. Care to elaborate?
    Super pacs allow people to anonymously donate money to then run whatever political ads. We are always talking about how freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences of speech on this forum, and that is exactly what people seek to do funneling money in this way.

Either make them transparent or eliminate them, and let people speak for themselves, or at least be traceable to their representative do to speak.
    Once again, that little thing called the Constitution keeps getting in the way of how some people think things should be. We don't all have to agree w/it all, but there it is. Unless and until enough people and their respective States want to get together to amend it, it's what we have. Like it or not. It's the only way to move past the Scotus.
    100%. Agree or disagree, citizens United settled this. It will take a constitutional amendment to change things (and maybe add term limits while we're at it).

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Super pacs allow people to anonymously donate money to then run whatever political ads. We are always talking about how freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences of speech on this forum, and that is exactly what people seek to do funneling money in this way.

Either make them transparent or eliminate them, and let people speak for themselves, or at least be traceable to their representative do to speak. 100%. Agree or disagree, citizens United settled this. It will take a constitutional amendment to change things (and maybe add term limits while we're at it).

Main reason i backed Gary Johnson. Guy is a weirdo for sure.
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Blog Entries

this could be the same argument for abortion. its been found constitutional by scotus. doesnt stop the argument on whether or not it should be any less. people just want to appoint scotus judges that agree with them to change that ruling. Why would this be any different?
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    Main reason i backed Gary Johnson. Guy is a weirdo for sure.
    He is weird, but some really weird and odd people have done good. sometimes it takes an eccentric, at least to make the initial spark.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post

Either make them transparent or eliminate them, and let people speak for themselves, or at least be traceable to their representative do to speak. 100%. Agree or disagree, citizens United settled this. It will take a constitutional amendment to change things (and maybe add term limits while we're at it).

I have no problem making them transparent. But the funny thing is, they exist because there are limits you can give to individual candidates.
    Eliminate limits and make everything transparent.

9. Re: I'm nervous about this election

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    this could be the same argument for abortion. its been found constitutional by scotus. doesnt stop the argument on whether or not it should be any less. people just want to appoint scotus judges that agree with them to change that ruling. Why would this be any different?
    It's not any different. We are trying to move the discussion forward, if possible, by asking what people would suggest to remedy it. Or, we can all collectively keep bitching about it and all the other subjects. Yes, the Scotus has become way too political, as we all know. For the most part, the Scotus just sits back and decides what the Framers "intended". I call bullshit. Ok......next step? Ideas? Maybe one day.....enough people will say enough. I'm ready.....are you? Amend the Constitution to reflect modern day America. Or.....not.

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    I have no problem making them transparent. But the funny thing is, they exist because there are limits you can give to individual candidates.
    Eliminate limits and make everything transparent.
    That's an interesting thought. Hadn't heard that before. Also means the candidate has to throw their name on the attack ads too.