Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Troy Smith as a leader

I have been impressed with Troy Smith over the past 8 days. His play today was solid and confident but I am most curious about what he could do as an offensive leader. When he is talking to other players, there is an interesting dynamic. They seem to want to listen and follow. I could see him saying, "hop on my back and let me lead" a lot like Ray does for the defense. McNair couldn't really do that consistently and Boller has never been about appeal to the offensive players in that manner.

I also paid close attention to all of the radio time Smith got this past week. He speaks intelligently and confidently and in a commanding manner. I think he is that kind of guy that needs to prove himself and actually has the kahunas to do it.

He is so comfortable in the pocket and has such a presence. He even seemed to openly disagree with Billicks field goal attempt to tie the game up. Not that I think Billick was wrong and kicking the field goal was the right thing to do but I like the fire and the confidence that says, "Let me do this, i will come through" I think the defense we call it "swagger".

I think he has shown enough to get the starting nod next week.

Re: Troy Smith as a leader

couldn't agrre more, though I have to say I think we should have gone for it, it was on the 6 inch line what the hell do we have to lose.
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

I'm all for giving the kid a shot, but let's not make shit up here. Maybe he's a good leader. he probably is, but you haven't seen anything in his 10 minutes of playing time to convince anyone that this is definitely the case.

Troy will be the main reason to keep believing in this team. You're right the offense seemed to listen to him and they seem to play for him like for lewis.

He should start and the next two games should be fun
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    I'm all for giving the kid a shot, but let's not make shit up here. Maybe he's a good leader. he probably is, but you haven't seen anything in his 10 minutes of playing time to convince anyone that this is definitely the case.

Yea he may have 10 min here in bmore, but he was a leader at ohio state which last time i checked was a major program and he went to a national championship and won some kind of award for best player player in college.

Section 126, Row 33

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    I agree. I liked what he did, but let's not call him Johnny U just yet.

Let's see him beat Seattle on the road, AND THEN we can talk about leadership and yadda-yadda.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayvens52
    and won some kind of award for best player player in college.
    And so did Chris Weinke and Eric Crouch, and Danny Wurffell and Ty Detmer. That award means almost nothing in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    I agree. I liked what he did, but let's not call him Johnny U just yet.

Let's see him beat Seattle on the road, AND THEN we can talk about leadership and yadda-yadda.
    I am not even concerned about a win really. He looks at players and appears to say, "let's do this". There is a certain intangible there. It is not that I am hopping on the bandwagon after a couple drives but listening to him on the radio and then watching his interactions on the field, I think he is the leader that the offense hasn't had in a long time.

And so did Chris Weinke and Eric Crouch, and Danny Wurffell and Ty Detmer. That award means almost nothing in the NFL.
    And then some guys named Palmer, Flutie, testerverde, Staubach won it to and had pretty good careers.

Section 126, Row 33

Quote Originally Posted by Rayvens52 View Post
    And then some guys named Palmer, Flutie, testerverde, Staubach won it to and had pretty good careers.
    Where's Carson's SB ring? Other than one year when has Carson Palmer picked up the Bungles and led them past 8-8?

I don't call that a good career.

Where's Carson's SB ring? Other than one year when has Carson Palmer picked up the Bungles and led them past 8-8?

I don't call that a good career.
    It is not palmers fault his whole team goes to jail every year and they have no D out there, I would love to have him in Bmore and you would be crazy if you didn't want him.

Section 126, Row 33

"It is not palmers fault his whole team goes to jail every year"
    Screw 'em all

Proud Member of BASH - Baltimore Association of Steeler Haters

Quote Originally Posted by Rayvens52 View Post
    It is not palmers fault his whole team goes to jail every year and they have no D out there, I would love to have him in Bmore and you would be crazy if you didn't want him.
    Well, like every other QB to play here, it won't be long before the OL destroys his poise. Carson would get the will beaten out of him too, and he'll become gunshy like everyone else. And it won't even be his fault.