Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: I Just Developed a Newfound Respect for John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    Analysts don't play football.
    Coaches don't either.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

There is no perfect coach and every coach is prone to human error. It's whether they learn from their mistakes and grow personally and professionally that matter. And this even applies to Bill Belichick. (Belicheat).

3. Re: I Just Developed a Newfound Respect for John Harbaugh

Hey, preaching to the choir here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon King Onaga View Post
    Payton knew that once the Ravens get to a certain advantage in points, Harbaugh likes to shrink the game. So, instead of waiting for Harbaugh to do it on his terms, Payton came right out of the gate trying to shrink the game. The Ravens hung in there and had the lead, but by then Harbaugh's usual approach failed him, because the defense was gassed from Payton's approach. Payton saw it coming and unraveling before Harbaugh did.
    What exactly does shrink the game mean in this context, and how did Payton "come out of the gate trying to shrink the game"? I just can't put my finger on what this means, for some reason.

5. Re: I Just Developed a Newfound Respect for John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    What exactly does shrink the game mean in this context, and how did Payton "come out of the gate trying to shrink the game"? I just can't put my finger on what this means, for some reason.
    Prolonged drives to wear down the defense, so that Harbaugh couldn't rely on them late in the game, because they would be gassed. It was tough sledding for three quarters, but it paid off. John likes to shrink the game once he gets a lead, and lean on his defense. Payton beat him to the punch with lengthier drives early on that paved the way for what happened in the end.

6. Re: I Just Developed a Newfound Respect for John Harbaugh

Some have.

Prolonged drives to wear down the defense, so that Harbaugh couldn't rely on them late in the game, because they would be gassed. It was tough sledding for three quarters, but it paid off. John likes to shrink the game once he gets a lead, and lean on his defense. Payton beat him to the punch with lengthier drives early on that paved the way for what happened in the end.
    He made a gutsy call to go for it on that fake punt. Other than that I can't say any of what he did was too "strategic." It's easy to be aggressive when your QB is Drew Brees. He erases alot.

So you're saying that Sean Payton used the Cutting Edge strategy of long drives to wear down the opposing defense? Maximizing time-of-possession?

Wow, it's a shame John Harbaugh never thought of that.

9. Re: I Just Developed a Newfound Respect for John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    So you're saying that Sean Payton used the Cutting Edge strategy of long drives to wear down the opposing defense? Maximizing time-of-possession?

Wow, it's a shame John Harbaugh never thought of that.
    Sean Payton did it, knowing he had a running game to be successful with it. John Harbaugh tried it with a poor running game, against the top run defense in the league.

Blog Entries

Going for 2 isn’t a bad call. Like we saw a pat is not a guarantee. Albeit the chance of missing a pat is low, there’s also 0% chance of winning in regulation by kicking two pats and tying it up. If you go for 2 and make it and then score another td, there’s a 46% of winning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sean Payton did it, knowing he had a running game to be successful with it. John Harbaugh tried it with a poor running game, against the top run defense in the league.
    Are you referring to the possession where they ran it on 2nd and 1 and 3rd and 1 and failed? While I disagree with the play (they should have run a sneak with Flacco on 3rd instead of the pitch to Collins), I can't say that somehow Harbaugh got it wrong.

They've been quite good at picking up those short yardage first downs all season. I'd have run it too. Marty just called a bad 2nd down play and a bad 3rd down play.

And if you wanna say Harbaugh told Marty to run it your full of it because they passed on first down the play before that.

Give it up man, Harbaugh coached a good game Sunday. Save your powder for a game when there's actually some support for your position re Harbs.

12. Re: I Just Developed a Newfound Respect for John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    Are you referring to the possession where they ran it on 2nd and 1 and 3rd and 1 and failed? While I disagree with the play (they should have run a sneak with Flacco on 3rd instead of the pitch to Collins), I can't say that somehow Harbaugh got it wrong.

They've been quite good at picking up those short yardage first downs all season. I'd have run it too. Marty just called a bad 2nd down play and a bad 3rd down play.

And if you wanna say Harbaugh told Marty to run it your full of it because they passed on first down the play before that.

Give it up man, Harbaugh coached a good game Sunday. Save your powder for a game when there's actually some support for your position re Harbs.
    I don't know why you would assume that I'm purely talking about one specific sequence.