Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Where was the energy from the crowd?

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimore35 View Post
    I'm a pissed off dude that's mad online. You're exactly right. It's not my right to say who can and who can't. I'm just still pissed that that's what I heard in that moment right after the PAT.
    I get it. I used to be like that. After a loss I'd be pissed for 2-3 days. Now if we lose I just shrug my shoulders and say "well that sucks" and not give it a second thought.

My interest in the NFL has dropped significantly over the past few years. It's just not as fun as it once was. You can't get excited over any big play because there's a 75% chance that a flag is going to be thrown. The reviews of obvious plays completely destroys the momentum. The biggest thing for me is the player safety garbage. The NFL is "so concerned" about player safety and yet they run teams out there 4 days after putting their bodies through hell. The Ravens boring style of football doesn't help matters either.

I hope I get my passion for the NFL back someday. For now I'm having a much more enjoyable time watching college football.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    I get it. I used to be like that. After a loss I'd be pissed for 2-3 days. Now if we lose I just shrug my shoulders and say "well that sucks" and not give it a second thought.

My interest in the NFL has dropped significantly over the past few years. It's just not as fun as it once was. You can't get excited over any big play because there's a 75% chance that a flag is going to be thrown. The reviews of obvious plays completely destroys the momentum. The biggest thing for me is the player safety garbage. The NFL is "so concerned" about player safety and yet they run teams out there 4 days after putting their bodies through hell. The Ravens boring style of football doesn't help matters either.

I hope I get my passion for the NFL back someday. For now I'm having a much more enjoyable time watching college football.
    It's not that I'm pissed off about the loss. I'm actually really proud of how the Ravens played and think that if they play as well as they did yesterday consistently the rest of the year, 11-5, maybe 12-4 is very very possible. I don't think they beat themselves. It was a great football game that if played 10 times, the Ravens and Saints each win 5 of them. Foolish of the NFL for this to not be the big late afternoon game and force much of America to swallow the Cowboys being shoved down their throats again.

You're 100% right about the NFL and what it has become. And quite frankly, there's not really anything that people like us can do to make the NFL and football turn back into the great league it once was. It's just a pretty helpless feeling quite honestly. I too have gotten more into college football than I ever was before. There's just so much that has changed for the worse in the NFL and it's a pretty bad feeling knowing that you can't help change any of it. I love the game of football, like so many of us on here. I used to love everything about the NFL, but not anymore for the reasons you mentioned + any other garbage they make up like the rule changes that favor offenses so much. My love for the Ravens will never change and oddly enough, has grown even stronger with time.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenfever View Post
    It's a culmination of things, listed below are some that play a factor imo.

people rather watch a game at home with friends & family then dealing with drunk foul mouth idiots.

Other things to do then spend hard earned money to watch a game and spend outrageously to do so.

The perception of Baltimore City of not being safe keep some fans away.

Boring brand of football with no notable super stars.
    In defense of my fellow drunk foul mouth idiots, I would much prefer a stadium full of them than an environment that is 8 year old friendly. I certainly am not endorsing violence or anything like that, but some of the best fan experiences for me personally are Sunday night games when everyone has been enjoying some beers through the early games and the place is rocking.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by balbomb View Post
    In defense of my fellow drunk foul mouth idiots, I would much prefer a stadium full of them than an environment that is 8 year old friendly. I certainly am not endorsing violence or anything like that, but some of the best fan experiences for me personally are Sunday night games when everyone has been enjoying some beers through the early games and the place is rocking.
    I agree with this 1000%.

There was a younger couple behind me yesterday and they brought their little boy. He had to be maybe 1 or 2. They said this was his first Ravens game. I thought that was awesome they're bringing him to a game this young, and that he'll fall in love with the experience when he's older. That's exactly what happened with me.

It's not an easy thing to balance. You want to be courteous to the family, but at the same time... If I can have 71,000 people chanting bullshit and throwing up middle fingers (especially against pittsburgh, f them), thats what I personally enjoy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I was disappointed with the empty seats at the start of the game in the upper deck. 4-2 team against a 5-1 team, big game, 4:25 start, it should have been full from the get go. It wasn't a night game, it wasn't freezing, it wasn't raining, there was no excuse for people not to be there. And then there were tons and tons of Saints fans as well. So many that my section may have had more Saints fans than Ravens fans.

I think it's just the way it is now. People aren't invested enough and spending time checking their phones and socializing. The team is better but they still lack star power.
    The light Rail was horrible, I waited 40 minutes and no train came north bound. I ended up splitting an Uber and made it just in time for kick off. I think MTA thought it was a 1pm kickoff instead of a 4:05

6. Re: Where was the energy from the crowd?

Quote Originally Posted by Brtnder81 View Post
    The light Rail was horrible, I waited 40 minutes and no train came north bound. I ended up splitting an Uber and made it just in time for kick off. I think MTA thought it was a 1pm kickoff instead of a 4:05
    Do they adjust the schedule for games?

Also, the tracker has worked well for me (I always use the schematic map). Don't trust the ETAs as anything more than guidelines though.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

I thought it was a pretty good crowd, maybe not compared with five years ago but compared to the last several years. They seemed pretty into if over in my end of the stadium (140's) and there were virtually no empty seats anywhere near me. I actually thought the Saints fan turnout was much less than I expected. They travel well in recent years but there weren't a whole lot near us. Only disappointment was how late arriving this crowd was, especially the upper deck folks. Not sure whey that would happen on a 4:00 start?

I was at the game and can explain the lack of people in the stands at kickoff. The lines to get in the stadium at 3:45 were INSANE. I got to my seat right as the Saints took the field and there had to have been 10,000 empty seats at kickoff. They filled in nicely within the hour. I don't know if it's because they finally had a good attendance number coupled with all the people who still haven't figured out the paperless ticket thing or what. Still a lot of people fumbling around trying to figure out the phone app.

As for the crowd noise... It did seem like a lot of people sat on their hands and did nothing during crucial 3rd downs and at other big junctures. My section had a lot of Saints fans so that may have been part of the problem. The Saints had a strong number of fans attending the game. Not overpowering, but a great showing nonetheless.

I have one other theory.. and it's supported by my age group and seat mates. We are all over 50 now and started doing this thing in 1996 and I think the latest generation of Ravens fan may not be quite as rabid. I know, I know. GET OFF MY LAWN! But I think those of you who have been doing this since the late 90's will attest.. it's a different crowd attending the games these days.

Blog Entries

I could cut and paste this as being from DonNMass.
    The sight of the London kneeling, JH's predictably boring product, flags. I'll just stop, same post.

I will add this anyway; I posted last year that if what we keep getting doesn't get any better and it really hasn't, the downstream consequences will have to force SB to act.
    The crowd is more quiet, my Raven's Flock in Boston doesn't get the crowds anymore which will eventually force the bar not to reserve that space, and I always followed games on RSR heavily to post and share, and RSR was the first app I opened on the day after. Now not so much if at all, and I'm guessing RSR advert revenue is tied to traffic. The NFL has morphed into a mess.

And if SB is willing to ignore all of those wake up calls, he should have been paying attention when last year RWT goes to the bench on game day, someone at that Castle better wake the hell up when they witness this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    I was at the game and can explain the lack of people in the stands at kickoff. The lines to get in the stadium at 3:45 were INSANE. I got to my seat right as the Saints took the field and there had to have been 10,000 empty seats at kickoff. They filled in nicely within the hour. I don't know if it's because they finally had a good attendance number coupled with all the people who still haven't figured out the paperless ticket thing or what. Still a lot of people fumbling around trying to figure out the phone app.
    We walked up to our gate at approximately 3:30 and there was maybe 4 people in our line. We got right in. 15 minutes later, hanging out on the upper deck concourse, we noticed the huge lines that had formed. You don't need to get there when the gates open, but I think expecting to breeze right in 20 mins prior to kickoff is a bit naive.

I have one other theory.. and it's supported by my age group and seat mates. We are all over 50 now and started doing this thing in 1996 and I think the latest generation of Ravens fan may not be quite as rabid. I know, I know. GET OFF MY LAWN! But I think those of you who have been doing this since the late 90's will attest.. it's a different crowd attending the games these days.
    Agree 100%. Good theory.

Blog Entries

These are my exact thoughts, just put better than I probably could have. A Ravens loss used to ruin my week, now i'm just pissed for an hour or 2. I used to watch every game on TV, now I just watch Ravens games and have maybe watched 1 quarter of a game this season that the Ravens havent played in. I'm just not into like I have been in past seasons. But with that said I still go to every home game and cheer full throat on every defensive play and stand on every 3rd and 4th down.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB58 View Post

I expect swaths of empty seats and a large number of opposing fans (for the bigger draw teams) from here on out. Different era...
    Our last 3 home games are Oakland, Tampa and Cleveland. I can hardly wait to see the apathy at those 3 games.. Especially if we are farting around with .500.