Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Mark Andrews and Hayden Hurst

Quote Originally Posted by ravenray View Post
    Ozzie just doesn't have it anymore but I'm afraid Decosta won't be any better.
    Ozzie has had 3 good hauls in back to back to back drafts. The Ravens are universally regarded as a top 10 team this year and roughly 55-60% of the roster are draftees/UDFAs from 2016-2018.

Hurst, Andrews, Lamar, and Orlando Brown Jr were all viewed as top 40 prospects pre-combine. We somehow were able to draft all four and still had the draft equity left to nab Kenny Young and Elliott. Ozzie is CLEARLY losing it!!!
    Last edited by camdenyard; 10-26-2018 at 08:56 AM. Reason: edited out unnecessary content

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Ozzie has had 3 good hauls in back to back to back drafts. The Ravens are universally regarded as a top 10 team this year and roughly 55-60% of the roster are draftees/UDFAs from 2016-2018.

Hurst, Andrews, Lamar, and Orlando Brown Jr were all viewed as top 40 prospects pre-combine. We somehow were able to draft all four and still had the draft equity left to nab Kenny Young and Elliott. Ozzie is CLEARLY losing it!!!
    Realistically...none of those 4 guys have the same ceiling as Derwin James. Dude will most likely win Rookie if the Year and he has All Pro potential. Showing it right now. He the safety Ravens have needed since Reed.
    One out of those four guys plays every week. Lamar looks like a minimum 2 yr project. Same with Brown Jr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by camdenyard; 10-26-2018 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    none of those 4 guys have the same ceiling as Derwin James. Dude will most likely win Rookie if the Year and he has All Pro potential. Showing it right now. He the safety Ravens have needed since Reed.
    One out of those four guys plays every week. Lamar looks like a minimum 2 yr project. Same with Brown Jr.
    So, what helps your team more: one great player or 4 good-to-very-good players? And the question is not over their rookie season, but over several seasons. This is one of the classic questions in team-building; probably always will be.

But none of that matters. It's Biscuit's fault that Ozzie couldn't draft Derwin James. After Biscuit said at the State of the Ravens that we were going to upgrade our passing attack with our first round pick, there was no way in hell Ozzie could use that pick on a defender. No way in hell: I don't think even Biscuit fully understands how seriously Ozzie took that directive. Because Rule #1 is always that you don't embarrass The Boss. Ozzie knows that deep, deep in his bones.

DaCosta will probably feel that less strongly in the coming years, than Ozzie always did. Very different background.

Quote Originally Posted by AQKingRaven View Post
    ... and FS that runs like Lonny Baxter.
    Damn I loved Lonny Baxter.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    So, what helps your team more: one great player or 4 good-to-very-good players? And the question is not over their rookie season, but over several seasons. This is one of the classic questions in team-building; probably always will be.

But none of that matters. It's Biscuit's fault that Ozzie couldn't draft Derwin James. After Biscuit said at the State of the Ravens that we were going to upgrade our passing attack with our first round pick, there was no way in hell Ozzie could use that pick on a defender. No way in hell: I don't think even Biscuit fully understands how seriously Ozzie took that directive. Because Rule #1 is always that you don't embarrass The Boss. Ozzie knows that deep, deep in his bones.

DaCosta will probably feel that less strongly in the coming years, than Ozzie always did. Very different background.
    Even though im not a huge fan of LJ, but i will be patient for the process, i would of been happy coming out of that draft with Derwin James, LJ, Brown JR, Kenny Young, Bozeman. I dont have an issue with giving up the picks, i just have a issue with passing on James and taking Hurst. I think most of us wish we took James.
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post

I get that .....but when it looked like James was gonna be there at 16....ya gotta try and sell Biscuit on him before the trade down. And I agree with USMC ...we still coulda drafted the other 3 guys ...just swap James for Hurst. Then we don’t get Young or Bozeman ...but we also don’t get Lasley or any other JAG later. When it comes to sure fire , absolute Home Run picks ...I’m for Quality not the quantity picks Oz likes. Gimme 3-5 great picks over 10 jags all day.

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    Even though im not a huge fan of LJ, but i will be patient for the process, i would of been happy coming out of that draft with Derwin James, LJ, Brown JR, Kenny Young, Bozeman. I dont have an issue with giving up the picks, i just have a issue with passing on James and taking Hurst. I think most of us wish we took James.
    Ozzie got scared of taking another safety IMO. The biggest issue on defense was safety play and interior pass rush, we couldnt continue to draft DT's. I wanted Moore, Washington, but would have been happy with James. I still dislike the Hurst pick
    Burn it down

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Ozzie got scared of taking another safety IMO. The biggest issue on defense was safety play and interior pass rush, we couldnt continue to draft DT's. I wanted Moore, Washington, but would have been happy with James. I still dislike the Hurst pick
    Derwin James is a can’t miss prospect and Weddle is almost done as a starting safety in the NFL. Ozzie drafts James ten years ago no doubt. Neglecting the offense for years led to this outcome.

Hurst was a mediocre prospect on tape and he's looking like he'll be a mediocre NFL player. I thought Andrews was a better prospect straight up, but projected both of them as 2nd rounders. It's too early to say definitively but Hurst will likely be the worst pick of that draft--which isn't anywhere near as bad as it sounds, given how good the class has been overall.

Blog Entries

I’m all about offense but the pick should have been James

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Hurst was a mediocre prospect on tape and he's looking like he'll be a mediocre NFL player.
    Based on what? He has what, 7 targets in his NFL career on a surgically repaired foot.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Hurst was a horrendous pick before they took Andrews. He was/is an unpolished prospect without elite physical tools at a position where players almost never make an impact as a rookie.....and he's 25. There are TEs of his quality on the FA market every year.

Taking Andrews just compounded there mistake, by investing two high picks at the position.