Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Ravens RB's Are Practice Squaders

How in the hell are there 8 teams with a worst rushing attack than ours?
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

2. Re: Ravens RB's Are Practice Squaders

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    How in the hell are there 8 teams with a worst rushing attack than ours?
    5th most rushing attempts in the league (I believe the 24th ranking used rush yards/game). If you run the ball 50 times more than the other bad teams, you're going to outgain them, even when you're only getting 3.4 YPC.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Quote Originally Posted by iceman43 View Post
    OLine not complete and the coaches dont stick with the run

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    I agree that the line sucks, but we run like top 7 attempts in the league...We arent bad at rushing because we dont stick with it. We suck at it and force it for no reason.

Fix the line and an Average RB can put up 1000- 1200 yards. I honestly dont care about RBs unless you have an elite (top 3-5) back....

the line is the #1 issue for our offense, they cant run block and we stall drives facing 3rd and long
    Burn it down

4. Re: Ravens RB's Are Practice Squaders

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    the line is the #1 issue for our offense, they cant run block and we stall drives facing 3rd and long
    I'm definitely in agreement that the Ravens should avoid 3rd and longs because their offense is not designed to convert them, but aren't they doing a good job of avoiding them?

To Go Conversions Plays % of 3rd Downs Cumulative %
    Total

I have one more 3rd down than the official NFL stats do, looks like it was either 3rd and 1 or 2, not sure where it came from yet (found and edited table, was 3rd and 10 field goal attempt).

Also, don't have anything to compare it to. I could make the 3rd down distance distributions for the Ravens weekly opponents if that would be a useful comparison.
    Last edited by organizedchaos21; 10-23-2018 at 12:20 PM. Reason: found the extra play (3rd down field goal attempt)
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    I'm definitely in agreement that the Ravens should avoid 3rd and longs because their offense is not designed to convert them, but aren't they doing a good job of avoiding them?

To Go Conversions Plays % of 3rd Downs Cumulative %
    Total

I have one more 3rd down than the official NFL stats do, looks like it was either 3rd and 1 or 2, not sure where it came from yet. I believe it was a 3rd and 1. Also, don't have anything to compare it to. I could make the 3rd down distance distributions for the Ravens weekly opponents if that would be a useful comparison.
    interesting. Maybe the reason we stall so many drives really is the "flow" or Momentum aspect of the game thats hard to track.

Because we are tied for 5th according to NFL.com for attempts. (1-5 Rams, Houston, NE, Tie -Cleveland / baltimore)
    Burn it down

6. Re: Ravens RB's Are Practice Squaders

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Bo Smolka@bsmolka 21m21 minutes agoMore

Ravens updated offensive rankings:

Overall -- 9th
    Rushing -- 24th
    Passing -- 9th

Others of note:

Rushing yds/carry -- 31st
    3rd-down pct. -- 5th
    Red zone pct -- 4th

Scoring -- 15th
    The bolded surprise me. That is a testament to Flacco, because they've been running on first down a lot. OrganizedChaos provided the numbers from Sunday's game and over half of their first down passes came on the two half ending drives when they decided to hurry up.
    Last edited by Dragon King Onaga; 10-23-2018 at 12:29 PM.

7. Re: Ravens RB's Are Practice Squaders

What more can they do when they are 5th in the league in rushing attempts? This is sort of what some of us have been discussing. The league is changing. It'd still be nice if we could run the ball and we are all in agreement that if it were clear they could, then by all means be 5th in the league in rushing. However, it's very clear that they can't. Yet, the offense is still ranked 9th overall and they've only scored less than 20 points once. At some point, you have to see that things are not 'completely' as they always were.

8. Re: Ravens RB's Are Practice Squaders

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    interesting. Maybe the reason we stall so many drives really is the "flow" or Momentum aspect of the game thats hard to track.

Because we are tied for 5th according to NFL.com for attempts. (1-5 Rams, Houston, NE, Tie -Cleveland / baltimore)
    It could be that the third down distribution is not good (hard to tell with nothing to compare it to), but my gut feeling was the opposite of yours (I felt they've done a good job in gaining yards on 1st and 2nd). And they do average 3.4 YPC, so even if they run on 1st and 2nd down, I'd expect 3rd and 3/4 based off of that.

They have so many rushing attempts because they have so many plays, a league-leading 519!

9. Re: Ravens RB's Are Practice Squaders

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon King Onaga View Post
    The bolded surprise me. That is a testament to Flacco, because they've been running on first down a lot. OrganizedChaos provided the numbers from Sunday's game and over half of their first down passes came on the two half ending drives when they decided to hurry up.
    Looks like the formatting got lost in the quote block. What was supposed to be bold?

10. Re: Ravens RB's Are Practice Squaders

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    Looks like the formatting got lost in the quote block. What was supposed to be bold?
    I just fixed it. I bolded the 3rd Down and RZ %.

I'm in agreement with others on the board. Our backs aren't terrible. They're not great mind you. They aren't going to win the games for us, but they're serviceable and can do somethings in certain moments.
    People are reacting to the season rushing stats. and rightfully so because we've been terrible against everybody, that includes the saints with the best rushing defense and that includes Denver with one of the worst rushing defenses.

But Joe Flacco is in the top 5 for passing yards this year. I think it's a clear indication that the team identity and the week to week game plan is to put Joe out there and let him throw it quite a bit. MM is only committing so many plays and time to the running game. I hate it, but I think it's more playcalling than anything else.

12. Re: Ravens RB's Are Practice Squaders

The sad part is that it's the Jet sweeps that make the numbers even look as good as they do. At least, that's the way it seems when just watching the games. I could be wrong.