Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens/Saints: Post-Game

Unless the Ravens won the coin toss and scored a TD on the first drive, they were going to lose in OT anyway. It's hard to say this, but the D was gassed and Brees was having his way with them.

The Ravens defense though held the best offense in the NFL to 7 points through 3 quarters. This loss is not on them, and it's not on special teams either. It's squarely on the inconsistent offense. Don't let that final drive fool you. It shouldn't have come to that.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Blowing the challenges was a big factor. On that saints td drive im almost certain the play were the wrs foot was on the white chalk and was missed by the refs was 3rd down
    That's the big problem with the NFL replay system. It puts the onus on the teams to officiate the game and that is just idiotic. The NCAA system gets it right and it doesn't add much time to the game at all. If the play is questionable, it is automatically reviewed in college - like the NFL does in the last two minutes. There is no good reason for the NFL not to use a system like the NCAA and do away with the stupid coaches' challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon King Onaga View Post
    I have to admit that after the Saints stopped us on fourth down, I thought the game was over. Brees throwing on first down did not surprise me at all. I expected that. I felt pretty good about the offense scoring once they got the ball back, because the up-tempo worked very well at the end of the first half too. For everything that Justin Tucker has done for this team, he would have to blow an entire season for me to spend a single sentence shitting on him.

I think the story of the game, in a nutshell, was that Sean Payton coached to win and John Harbaugh coached not to lose. You could just see it in the play-calling. Marty did a poor job today, but all of those first down runs, scream Coach Harbaugh. Harbaugh focused on the fumble recovery, rather than the fact that the Saints took up half the quarter on their first drive. He started believing that he could lean on his defense. Meanwhile, Payton stayed aggressive. Even when they ran the ball, it was at a quicker tempo to at least try and catch the defense off guard. The defense really didn't play terribly. 24 points is about what I expected. The problem is that Harbaugh leans on it too much. He has an offense that can put up big points at home in games like this, but doesn't realize it. He just has to lean on his defense. That's what he knows. We all know that Flacco works best in the Sugar huddle. Brees also works best at an up-tempo pace. One coach put his offense in that frame of mind from the beginning. The other came out trying to establish the run, thinking that he could control the clock and stop Brees from scoring. Then, in a very predictable fashion, when he needed the offense to start keeping up, he'd already shut them down and the rhythm was off. Until the absolute last minute where he had no choice, but to remember that the Saints have one of the worst pass defenses in the league.

This is definitely a better team than the past few years, but if there is one issue that will continue to cause problems for this team, I think it's Harbaugh's mindset. I give him credit for the 4th and 8 in no man's land, but all in all he has to realize that he can't keep switching the offense on and off like a light switch.
    If we lost by passing too much people would say we didn’t run enough and were too aggressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    That's the big problem with the NFL replay system. It puts the onus on the teams to officiate the game and that is just idiotic. The NCAA system gets it right and it doesn't add much time to the game at all. If the play is questionable, it is automatically reviewed in college - like the NFL does in the last two minutes. There is no good reason for the NFL not to use a system like the NCAA and do away with the stupid coaches' challenges.
    There are a lot of NCAA rules that are better than the NFLs

5. Re: Ravens/Saints: Post-Game

Quote Originally Posted by Uli2001 View Post

The Ravens defense though held the best offense in the NFL to 7 points through 3 quarters. This loss is not on them, and it's not on special teams either. It's squarely on the inconsistent offense. Don't let that final drive fool you. It shouldn't have come to that.
    Get outta here with that spin. The offense took a lot of air out of the ball and helped keep that score low. The Saints only had 3 possessions in the 1st half and two of them went the length of the field. In the 2nd half they were able to start finishing off those drives. This defense had no answer in the short yardage situations the entire game.

The offense is inconsistent but they were never considered the star of this show. They did enough to win while the defense, with all its highly paid players and numerous day 1 or 2 draft picks, came up short.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    Get outta here with that spin. The offense took a lot of air out of the ball and helped keep that score low. The Saints only had 3 possessions in the 1st half and two of them went the length of the field. In the 2nd half they were able to start finishing off those drives. This defense had no answer in the short yardage situations the entire game.

The offense is inconsistent but they were never considered the star of this show. They did enough to win while the defense, with all its highly paid players and numerous day 1 or 2 draft picks, came up short.
    I think it's you who is spinning. The Saints D came in giving up 36 points on average and the mighty Ravens offense scored 23 points at home.

7. Re: Ravens/Saints: Post-Game

Quote Originally Posted by Uli2001 View Post
    I think it's you who is spinning. The Saints D came in giving up 36 points on average and the mighty Ravens offense scored 23 points at home.
    Nice punt.

8. Re: Ravens/Saints: Post-Game

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens20002012 View Post
    If we lost by passing too much people would say we didn’t run enough and were too aggressive

They can say what they want. The Saints have one of the worst pass defenses in the league and the best element of the Ravens offense is the pass. Flacco plays best when they go up-tempo. I'm not saying abandon the run. I'm saying attack. As I said in another post, the Saints came out trying to run the ball, but they did so at a quicker pace to try and keep the defense on their heels. It didn't work so well, but they tried.

Blowing the challenges was a big factor. On that saints td drive im almost certain the play were the wrs foot was on the white chalk and was missed by the refs was 3rd down

Also Brees was short on that 4th and 1 play. I was there and saw it short in person, and just watched the replay on GamePass. It was close, but he was short. Also the refs both looked like they had the spot correct based on where they were as they ran in from the sidelines, but seemed to spot it a little bit forward after talking to Brees. I wish they would've just spotted it where it initially looked like they were going to. Attachment 4809

Quote Originally Posted by PTORaven View Post
    Also Brees was short on that 4th and 1 play. I was there and saw it short in person, and just watched the replay on GamePass. It was close, but he was short. Also the refs both looked like they had the spot correct based on where they were as they ran in from the sidelines, but seemed to spot it a little bit forward after talking to Brees. I wish they would've just spotted it where it initially looked like they were going to. Attachment 4809
    Unless im blind he's clearly reached out and made the first down

Unless im blind he's clearly reached out and made the first down
    Yes the reach had the first down IMO. However, if he can reach and pull the ball back in and THEN go down, the ball should be spotted where it is when he goes down. Not on the reach. The announcers claim that isn't the rule, so be it. But then the rule needs changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon King Onaga View Post
    They can say what they want. The Saints have one of the worst pass defenses in the league and the best element of the Ravens offense is the pass. Flacco plays best when they go up-tempo. I'm not saying abandon the run. I'm saying attack. As I said in another post, the Saints came out trying to run the ball, but they did so at a quicker pace to try and keep the defense on their heels. It didn't work so well, but they tried.
    yessir.

adapt barbs....play to your strength.

The nfl is a scoring league now, you cant sit on a 3-10 point lead for 2 quarters
    Burn it down