Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rush yards before contact

Not a surprise the Ravens are at the bottom. Wonder what was last years number.

Re: Rush yards before contact

https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/1052272886428381184

Good stuff here from Baldinger. The scheme in the run game is bad most of the time.

It works when it's simple (For example when we just ran outside zone against the Browns it was more effective).
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

3. Re: Rush yards before contact

It's 2013 all over again.

Blog Entries

A lot of that is garbage time clock running.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post

Good stuff here from Baldinger. The scheme in the run game is bad most of the time.

It works when it's simple (For example when we just ran outside zone against the Browns it was more effective).
    The ROMAN empire........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Re: Rush yards before contact

Quote Originally Posted by ravenray View Post
    Not a surprise the Ravens are at the bottom. Wonder what was last years number.
    This is from December 2017. Ravens are not visible (so between 1.99 and 2.63 yards before contact last year). Looks like they were at least slightly better (1.9 this year, which would have made bottom 5 last year).

From January 2018. We know Collins had 212 carries for 973 yards (yards per carry total = 4.59). 4.59 yards per carry total - 2.11 yards per carry after contact = 2.48 yards per carry before contact. He only had ~45% of the carries last year, but that's probably the best answer you'll get without directly asking @NFLmatchup. Anyway, there's no way Collins is even close to 2.48 YPCBC this season.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Man, this is...something. Hard to say what to make of it. In general, we trust Roman a lot more than say, Castillo (the 2013 comment above was cringe-inducing) when it comes to putting this run game together, right?

I wonder how this compares to his much more successful schemes of the past. Are we having a personnel issue?

I obviously don't know the answer. This is the kind of thing that you'd like to think they could self-scout and correct. The scary thing is to think they might wait until the bye week to do so. I wonder if the OL shake-up that's coming (assuming Lewis is out) will impact the scheme any. Maybe simpler is better.

Blog Entries

Rush yards before contact

Id like to get Filmstudys take on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Our run blocking is as bad in q1 as it is q4. Its just shit and one of the worst in the league

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Our run blocking is as bad in q1 as it is q4. Its just shit and one of the worst in the league
    https://twitter.com/NFLMatchup/statu...930038272?s=19

Blog Entries

I put a little more blame on scheme than personnel, but personnel is a big part of it.

I'm not seeing holes for Collins, and while he runs angry he's not quick enough to be patient. Buck's had a little more success at times because he's more patient. I know, the overall numbers don't show that. It's just what I'm seeing.

Gus Edwards looked better than either of them, but it was a very small sample.

There have been more hits in the backfield this year on Ravens RB's than I ever remember seeing. If a few big runs- like Collins's 19 yard scamper on the first play of the Browns game or the 13 yard touchdown- were taken out of the equation the yards before contact would look a lot worse.

On one play against the Titans, Scura blocked left and a TE was supposed to pull inside and trap Casey. Instead, Casey sliced through, shrugged off the TE, and tackled Collins for a loss. If Collins was a more patient runner (like Forsett), maybe the trap block still creates the hole, but if that's the case the scheme isn't matching the personnel. Collins isn't going to be effective running like Forsett.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I just saw this and immediately came to this broad. Wonderful analysis!