Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The Situation with Bell Drags On

I’m not sure if the rules stated above are correct but as far as would anyone sign him- I sure fuckin would. A year rested Le’Veon Bell, one of 3 special backs in this league? Hell ya I would

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    all it does is piss fans off and limit players ability to get paid.
    That's kind of the point. Owners like it, players agree to it because it only affects a few. We''ll see in 2021 if they want to give up something else instead.

Blog Entries

Franchise tag existing is okay to me, but it should be limited to a year only and the intent of it should be strictly to secure a long term deal with the player - NOT how it is often used, to get 1-2 more years out of the player then let them go (such as how it has been used with Bell or Cousins IMO). Maybe give some sort of salary cap credit if you sign your tagged player prior to the start of the season to intice the team to work something out with the player.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Franchise tag existing is okay to me, but it should be limited to a year only and the intent of it should be strictly to secure a long term deal with the player - NOT how it is often used, to get 1-2 more years out of the player then let them go (such as how it has been used with Bell or Cousins IMO). Maybe give some sort of salary cap credit if you sign your tagged player prior to the start of the season to intice the team to work something out with the player.
    I imagine they'll keep it but may tweak it some. Totally agree on usage. Ravens used it on Suggs because they wanted to resign him, Steelers are using it on Bell because they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjacks View Post
    I think he qualified for being a UFA after this year if he sits out.

Yes the Jets have seriously tried to trade for him, so yeah he seems like he will have suitors at his asking price.
    (c) If any Franchise Player does not play in the NFL in a League Year, his Prior Team shall have the right to designate such player as a Franchise Player or a Transition Player the following League Year, if such designation is otherwise available to the Team, except that the applicable Tender must be made and any 120% Tender shall be measured from the Player’s Prior Year Salary. If such a player is redesignated as a Franchise Player for the League Year following the League Year in which he does not play, the player may be designated only under Section 2(a)(i) above, except that Draft Choice Compensation of only one first round draft selection and one third round draft selection shall be made with respect to such player in the event he signs with the New Club. If such a player is designated as a Franchise Player for a third time, the terms of Section 2(b) above shall apply.

Read more: http://www.thefootballeducator.com/n...#ixzz5U79fLg7P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    If true, why all the talk earlier in the year about him reporting by the Tuesday after Week 10 to get credit for this year? The rules are different for players under contract who hold out, vs. players who've been tagged. How do you get credit for a year in which you're never under contract?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...k-11-to-report

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...rough-week-10/
    You are correct. Bell can't become a UFA if he isn't on the roster for 6 games. It's possible the Steelers wouldn't bother with this any more and not tag him next year but that's up to them. Bell wouldn't be the one making that decision and I can't imagine that's what he wants.

If he really doesn't want to play this season he should report after week 10 fat and out of shape. They won't be playing him in that condition.

The Steelers used the Franchise Tag in bad faith- like others have said, it's not there to be taken advantage of in order to sign an RB to a short deal or 2 and then use them up before letting them go with a ton of wear and tear on them. That's not what it's designed for, it's to extend the deadline on major players (hence the 'franchise' name) who you want to sign long term.

The thing is, if Bell misses 10 weeks, that's 10 weeks the Steelers haven't had to pay him. Everyone's assumed they wouldn't tag him again next season as it would be ridiculous money, but given they've saved 10/16ths, why wouldn't they just factor that into next years tag number?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblue View Post
    The Steelers used the Franchise Tag in bad faith- like others have said, it's not there to be taken advantage of in order to sign an RB to a short deal or 2 and then use them up before letting them go with a ton of wear and tear on them. That's not what it's designed for, it's to extend the deadline on major players (hence the 'franchise' name) who you want to sign long term.

The thing is, if Bell misses 10 weeks, that's 10 weeks the Steelers haven't had to pay him. Everyone's assumed they wouldn't tag him again next season as it would be ridiculous money, but given they've saved 10/16ths, why wouldn't they just factor that into next years tag number?
    It would have to be a grievance hearing to determine if it was in bad faith. Personally I think the Franchise Tag needs to go since this isn't 1997 anymore and free agency is well established. However these are the current rules which means that it would have to be proven that the Steelers violated them. Bell isn't the only players to get tagged multiple years. We just went through the same thing with Kirk Cousins. How is this any different?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    You are correct. Bell can't become a UFA if he isn't on the roster for 6 games. It's possible the Steelers wouldn't bother with this any more and not tag him next year but that's up to them. Bell wouldn't be the one making that decision and I can't imagine that's what he wants.

If he really doesn't want to play this season he should report after week 10 fat and out of shape. They won't be playing him in that condition.
    Did you see that pic of him on the jet ski? He has that covered.
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    Did you see that pic of him on the jet ski? He has that covered.
    That was a month ago. He should be fatter by now

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    (c) If any Franchise Player does not play in the NFL in a League Year, his Prior Team shall have the right to designate such player as a Franchise Player or a Transition Player the following League Year, if such designation is otherwise available to the Team, except that the applicable Tender must be made and any 120% Tender shall be measured from the Player’s Prior Year Salary. If such a player is redesignated as a Franchise Player for the League Year following the League Year in which he does not play, the player may be designated only under Section 2(a)(i) above, except that Draft Choice Compensation of only one first round draft selection and one third round draft selection shall be made with respect to such player in the event he signs with the New Club. If such a player is designated as a Franchise Player for a third time, the terms of Section 2(b) above shall apply.

Read more: http://www.thefootballeducator.com/n...#ixzz5U79fLg7P
    I likely was incorrect in that he's free and clear. However what you posted there makes me think it's unclear since this year is his second tag and would next year be a second, second tag or a third tag? It doesn't seem clear in just the text you posted. Plus in the florio article you cited earlier even he says it's unclear what happenes if he sits the entire year. That actually was the article that I misremembered when I first posted. To me it seems like the steelers hold him if he sits the entire year but how he is treated will be complex.

Good catch.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That was a month ago. He should be fatter by now
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell