Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: I Still Don't Trust This Team

I discount the Cinci game. It was a Thursday night game, early in the season and they often are garbage.

We gave up four TDs after C.J. went down. Do you know how many TDs the defense has given up since? One to Cleveland, zero to Tenn, two to Denver and one to Pittsburgh. Four total over four games. And the defense is shutting teams down in the second half unlike the Pees years where we watched endless games lost in the fourth quarter because we could not stop anybody. Prevent defense and soft zones suck.

The other improvement is on the offensive side. We came with in one play last year of making the playoff with a group of wr which were putrid. I don’t think our best three last year have caught a single pass in the NFL this year. We have good, four functional wr, four good TEs and a qb not playing with a herniated disc in his back. This team will score a hundred more points than last year and give up a hundred less. What more do you want?

This is a week-to-week league. Not like it used to be when you could count on heavyweights to run roughshod over weaker opponents. Every week you see at least one result that has you saying "What the hell happened there?".

You are not likely going to get the assurance you want until the season is over, when you can look back and assess success or failure.

The best advice I can give is to strap yourself in and enjoy the ride.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It sure doesn't sound like the OP enjoys watching the Ravens. If you get to that point then I agree it's time to start finding a team that better fits your views.
    I agree sounds like he should have been a pats fan as they have been the only consistent team the last 5-10 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    This is a week-to-week league. Not like it used to be when you could count on heavyweights to run roughshod over weaker opponents. Every week you see at least one result that has you saying "What the hell happened there?".

You are not likely going to get the assurance you want until the season is over, when you can look back and assess success or failure.

The best advice I can give is to strap yourself in and enjoy the ride.
    The Rams would differ with that assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    I agree sounds like he should have been a pats fan as they have been the only consistent team the last 5-10 years
    I was going to mention this earlier, but left it alone lol.
    NEP is the only team in the league that should be "trusted".

I get the OP's sentiment, but not the detail at all.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by dscola31 View Post
    This!!!!!Enjoy the ride. I'd rather have fun now and be disappointed in the end, than not have fun now and miss a great season waiting for the bottom to fall out.
    Yes, what's this "trust" stuff about? Sports are not only entertainment, it's unpredictable - in fact it's entertaining because of the unpredictability. They don't sign a contract to win games, only to perform. If you don't enjoy it, find something else that you do.

7. Re: I Still Don't Trust This Team

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    Until the Ravens start running the ball on 1st and 2nd down and make it 3rd and 2 instead of 3rd and 8, how can you truly trust them. Yesterday converting all those 3rd and longs was a big anomaly.

Many people want run/pass balance. If you are averaging 2ypc on 1st down running the ball, screw the run. 3rd down is the money down but you have to succeed on 1st and 2nd to get into 3 and manageable. You will never see another 12 for 17 conversion rate again when it seemed like 3rd and 8,9,10 every time (even crazier, 3rd and 17). My idea of run/pass balance is throwing the ball a majority of the time early in the game in order to get the lead, play good defense, and then run the crap out of the ball and the clock in the 4Q.
    24% (23/96) of their 3rd down plays have come on 3rd and 1 or 2. 45% (20/45) of their 3rd down conversions came on those plays.

40% (38/96) have come on 3rd and 5 or less. 56% (25/45) of their 3rd down conversions came on those plays.

They've done a pretty good job of gaining yards on 1st and 2nd down in spite of their inability to run the ball. Their 3rd down conversion rate is still largely due to converting 3rd and 5 or less, not due to Pees 3rd down "defense."

I also think Marty has been substituting short passes for the run in certain situations, but I only have anecdotes to back that up, not hard data. As an example, look at the 3rd drive on Sunday, starting at (Q2, 7:06). They threw two quick passes to Snead in the flat (the first was caught 2 yards behind the line, the second 3 yards behind the line). Marty knows the run isn't working, and he's trying other methods to substitute for the run. In this instance, it didn't work well, but he's not Mike McCoy (the Cardinals can't run the ball, but insist on continually running up the middle on 90% of their runs).
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

We have the second biggest point differential in the NFL, 76 to 78 for the Rams
    When was the last Ravens team that was actually blowing out lesser opponents?

Would Jackson be any better- doubtful, he would run and get clobbered.

Quote Originally Posted by 21xxxv View Post
    The Rams would differ with that assessment.
    They barely got past what looks like a bad Denver team on Sunday. They aren't Goliaths. They are ripe.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

I'm buying into the hype 100%! I still think the Super Bowl is Ravens vs Rams.

Quote Originally Posted by dscola31 View Post
    This!!!!!

Enjoy the ride. I'd rather have fun now and be disappointed in the end, than not have fun now and miss a great season waiting for the bottom to fall out.
    100%. but I'm usually a live in the moment, don't dwell on the past person... it's why I ignore/scroll past the posts lamenting who we could've taken in the 20whatever draft

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk