Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: OT: A Day of Happiness and a Thanks to the Board.

Hang I there Ex, and keep it weird.
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

2. Re: OT: A Day of Happiness and a Thanks to the Board.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    Hang I there Ex, and keep it weird.
    I'm not going to lie, I'm a weirdo. Always have been. And my goal is to come out of the gym looking like Scott Steiner. So there's that too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon King Onaga View Post
    I'm not going to lie, I'm a weirdo. Always have been. And my goal is to come out of the gym looking like Scott Steiner. So there's that too.
    LOL, like we didn't know that already! We luv ya for it... Bc

Glad to hear your doing well Sword. You’re absolutely right. PTSD is no joke. My wife is a CCRN and she was attacked by a patient. She’s been battling ever since. What a change to our family dynamic. She also damaged her back at L4-S1. Multiple surgeries. And of course like you said ..Workers Comp is a joke. Anyway ..keep the faith brother. Take it one day at a time and keep posting. Love reading your posts Brother. # RavensFlock. #RavensFamily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you and I have similar backgrounds.

I was able to keep working and training after my C spine fusions although I still have terrible pain from damaged nerves. I was doing behind the neck presses with 225 and my disc just ruptured and lost my left arms feeling. Had to have emergency surgery. Got some strength back and some feeling but still have ridiculed syndrome making my tricep and hands feel like they are on fire.

Whatever you have disability wise games a full year after surgery. You're stuck with whatever is still there.

After 5 years of being successful dealing with the neck my L spine started degenerating horribly. 4 herniated discs, severe stenosis, etc..
    Lost my career because having both L and C so screwed up was just too much to handle. I keep fighting every single day and I was also a monster in the gym and with fighting( NOT STREET PEOPLE!!). Except for those couple of...

None of that compares to the hell I'm going through at this exact time. Figures NFL cursed me talking about getting ahead of shit diagnosis.
    Right now until my text Monday there are 3 possible reasons for growths found on my Kidneys.
    The best outcome is just simple Kidney cysts. Cool, no biggie there
    Next, polycystic kidney disease. I got the MRI because of increased pain I thought was my L Spine. It's my Kidneys.

The worst, 50 % chance the growths are cancer. My wife just lost her 49 year old sister 3 months ago to melanoma. Same thing, had back pain, and 3 months later she was gone.

There is no way any good entity above would allow my wife to go through that again. Especially with our 16 yr old beautiful daughter so whatever the result of the tests show it won't matter, Sword led the way and I'll best down anything like I always have. Fuck these Pussy ass health problems!!

Sorry for venting people

6. Re: OT: A Day of Happiness and a Thanks to the Board.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Glad to hear your doing well Sword. You’re absolutely right. PTSD is no joke. My wife is a CCRN and she was attacked by a patient. She’s been battling ever since. What a change to our family dynamic. She also damaged her back at L4-S1. Multiple surgeries. And of course like you said ..Workers Comp is a joke. Anyway ..keep the faith brother. Take it one day at a time and keep posting. Love reading your posts Brother. # RavensFlock. #RavensFamily.

In my experience, my situation was very difficult on my family and friends, because it was so hard for them to understand. Let's say you have a girlfriend and she breaks up with you. As a guy, I don't necessarily have to have experienced the same thing to understand how it would make your feel. Trauma is different, because it legitimately 'Changes the wiring of the brain' as I like to say. Until you've experienced it, you really can't understand it. However, family and friends want to help. They want to be there. They just don't know how to and that makes them feel powerless. Which can lead to frustrations of their own. A lot of the advice they gave, for example, was meant with good intentions. Their hearts were in the right place. However, subconsciously, they were overwhelmed by their own fear and worry about, not just the situation itself, but how easily it could have been much worse. Which is something they don't want to think about. However, what they didn't understand is that I had to think about it, because I had to face it. Some of the worst things you can say to someone who has PTSD are that they are normal and that nothing is wrong. Friends and family want to normalize you, because that's what works in general in society. However, unbenounced to them, what they were doing was telling that I'm crazy, because I know that I'm not right. I know that something's wrong. I don't feel normal at all. I was a man who never wanted to go near a weapon and, all of a sudden, I began answering the door with a butcher knife behind my back or a smaller knife hidden under my sleeve. So don't tell me nothing's wrong. You know what I mean? That just made me even more frustrated. Subconsciously, the advice they gave was what they felt was best for their own worry and concern to be alleviated, not what was best for my recovery. I eventually provided them with reading material specifically for family members of those with PTSD, that they found very helpful and it made a HUGE difference. All of a sudden, they were more patient. Gave me more space. Didn't question my doctors if they saw that I was satisfied with them.

How long ago did this happen to her?

sword you need one of those massages i recommended for ravenmainac - he is different man now. hit me up for a good time!

In my experience, my situation was very difficult on my family and friends, because it was so hard for them to understand. Let's say you have a girlfriend and she breaks up with you. As a guy, I don't necessarily have to have experienced the same thing to understand how it would make your feel. Trauma is different, because it legitimately 'Changes the wiring of the brain' as I like to say. Until you've experienced it, you really can't understand it. However, family and friends want to help. They want to be there. They just don't know how to and that makes them feel powerless. Which can lead to frustrations of their own. A lot of the advice they gave, for example, was meant with good intentions. Their hearts were in the right place. However, subconsciously, they were overwhelmed by their own fear and worry about, not just the situation itself, but how easily it could have been much worse. Which is something they don't want to think about. However, what they didn't understand is that I had to think about it, because I had to face it. Some of the worst things you can say to someone who has PTSD are that they are normal and that nothing is wrong. Friends and family want to normalize you, because that's what works in general in society. However, unbenounced to them, what they were doing was telling that I'm crazy, because I know that I'm not right. I know that something's wrong. I don't feel normal at all. I was a man who never wanted to go near a weapon and, all of a sudden, I began answering the door with a butcher knife behind my back or a smaller knife hidden under my sleeve. So don't tell me nothing's wrong. You know what I mean? That just made me even more frustrated. Subconsciously, the advice they gave was what they felt was best for their own worry and concern to be alleviated, not what was best for my recovery. I eventually provided them with reading material specifically for family members of those with PTSD, that they found very helpful and it made a HUGE difference. All of a sudden, they were more patient. Gave me more space. Didn't question my doctors if they saw that I was satisfied with them.

How long ago did this happen to her?
    About 4 yrs now. She still works , because she loves what she does. Just wrapping the workers comp case up now. She basically still works inspite of her back pain and mental anguish. She’s only mildly medicated since she wants to work. She’s tough. She does acupuncture for pain and stress relief and she meditates. Her Neurologist suggested both ( he’s very into holistic healing). It seems to work. She comes home a new woman. . She actually has the same “fight or flight “ response as you. She now is “armed” where ever she goes. She has mace , several knives and she spends as much time as she can at the range shooting( that used to be my personal escape , now she wants to go more than me ).

9. Re: OT: A Day of Happiness and a Thanks to the Board.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    About 4 yrs now. She still works , because she loves what she does. Just wrapping the workers comp case up now. She basically still works inspite of her back pain and mental anguish. She’s only mildly medicated since she wants to work. She’s tough. She does acupuncture for pain and stress relief and she meditates. Her Neurologist suggested both ( he’s very into holistic healing). It seems to work. She comes home a new woman. . She actually has the same “fight or flight “ response as you. She now is “armed” where ever she goes. She has mace , several knives and she spends as much time as she can at the range shooting( that used to be my personal escape , now she wants to go more than me ).

My case hasn't taken that long, but it's approaching three. One thing I think I figured out is that the way your react during the incident is a deeper mirror of who you truly are. So, you saying she's tough makes sense. In a situation like that, she's a fighter. That added extra challenge to me missing the gym, because, in my mind, I'm still alive, because of the training at the gym. 7 minutes is a long time to fight, whether the two guys you are facing can fight or not. So, to be blasted in the head with a radio and already bleeding out in the first, minute, and then fight for another six, you have to be physically capable of handling it. So, me not having the gym, to me, meant I was vulnerable, because I couldn't keep up with my training. That was something else that nobody could understand.

Did you notice a constant theme at first of 'You don't understand?' At the time I didn't realize I must have said it a thousand times. I guess the approach depends on what works for that specific person. If the person is a thinker, help them think. If the person thrives on positive energy, accentuate the positive aspects of the survival itself. If the person is hard on themselves, let them be hard on themselves and allow them to see out all of their options. Don't try to stop them. Because once they become mentally exhausted, which will happen, they will become more open minded.

Oh, does she ever struggle with knowing when to give herself a mental break?

One exercise that is great for L-S issues is Pilates. The breathing technique involved with Pilates allows the muscles of the core to strengthen from the inside out and keep the discs in place.

10. Re: OT: A Day of Happiness and a Thanks to the Board.

Quote Originally Posted by BearArms View Post

I was able to keep working and training after my C spine fusions although I still have terrible pain from damaged nerves. I was doing behind the neck presses with 225 and my disc just ruptured and lost my left arms feeling. Had to have emergency surgery. Got some strength back and some feeling but still have ridiculed syndrome making my tricep and hands feel like they are on fire.

Whatever you have disability wise games a full year after surgery. You're stuck with whatever is still there.

After 5 years of being successful dealing with the neck my L spine started degenerating horribly. 4 herniated discs, severe stenosis, etc..
    Lost my career because having both L and C so screwed up was just too much to handle. I keep fighting every single day and I was also a monster in the gym and with fighting( NOT STREET PEOPLE!!). Except for those couple of...

None of that compares to the hell I'm going through at this exact time. Figures NFL cursed me talking about getting ahead of shit diagnosis.
    Right now until my text Monday there are 3 possible reasons for growths found on my Kidneys.
    Next, polycystic kidney disease. I got the MRI because of increased pain I thought was my L Spine. It's my Kidneys.

The worst, 50 % chance the growths are cancer. My wife just lost her 49 year old sister 3 months ago to melanoma. Same thing, had back pain, and 3 months later she was gone.

There is no way any good entity above would allow my wife to go through that again. Especially with our 16 yr old beautiful daughter so whatever the result of the tests show it won't matter, Sword led the way and I'll best down anything like I always have. Fuck these Pussy ass health problems!!

Sorry for venting people
    Did you have any blood work done to check your kidney function, before getting the MRI? If so, did it reveal anything?

My case hasn't taken that long, but it's approaching three. One thing I think I figured out is that the way your react during the incident is a deeper mirror of who you truly are. So, you saying she's tough makes sense. In a situation like that, she's a fighter. That added extra challenge to me missing the gym, because, in my mind, I'm still alive, because of the training at the gym. 7 minutes is a long time to fight, whether the two guys you are facing can fight or not. So, to be blasted in the head with a radio and already bleeding out in the first, minute, and then fight for another six, you have to be physically capable of handling it. So, me not having the gym, to me, meant I was vulnerable, because I couldn't keep up with my training. That was something else that nobody could understand.

Did you notice a constant theme at first of 'You don't understand?' At the time I didn't realize I must have said it a thousand times. I guess the approach depends on what works for that specific person. If the person is a thinker, help them think. If the person thrives on positive energy, accentuate the positive aspects of the survival itself. If the person is hard on themselves, let them be hard on themselves and allow them to see out all of their options. Don't try to stop them. Because once they become mentally exhausted, which will happen, they will become more open minded.

Oh, does she ever struggle with knowing when to give herself a mental break?

One exercise that is great for L-S issues is Pilates. The breathing technique involved with Pilates allows the muscles of the core to strengthen from the inside out and keep the discs in place.
    Oh def. There were a lot of arguments just because I didn’t understand that she needed to work shit out. Nothing I could do. But we pushed through. She finally reached a point where she could talk about it and then I actually help the most by just listening.
    She’s OCD on top of this so she def has had many times of “thinking herself exhausted”. The meditation has helped a lot for her to “focus “ her thoughts.
    She does some light yoga now at the Y by our house. I’ll recommend the Pilates to her. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BearArms View Post

Sorry for venting people
    Don’t be sorry brother. That’s why we’re here. Hoping the best for you man.