Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Hurdling on field goal

Posted link in game thread. The whole point is not requiring the snapper to raise up and potentially get kicked in the face. Looked illegal to me. Luckily wasn’t a game breaker

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

As was stated in a post above (but here is the link):

Section 3, Article 1, part j. - Unsportsmanlike Conduct, 15 yard penalty

"Running forward and leaping across the line of scrimmage in an obvious attempt to block a field goal or kick, or apparent kick, unless the leaping player was in a stationary position on the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped. A player, who is behind the line of scrimmage before or at the snap, may run forward and leap, provided he does not cross the line of scrimmage or land on players."

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules...ulebook/#rule9

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    NFL Rules, Section 3, Article 1r (Unsportsmanlike conduct):

"Running forward and leaping across the line of scrimmage in an obvious attempt to block a field goal or Try Kick, or apparent kick, unless the leaping player was in a stationary position on the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped. A player, who is behind the line of scrimmage before or at the snap, may run forward and leap, provided he does not cross the line of scrimmage or land on players."

So it doesn't matter where he begins his leap if he's not "in a stationary position on the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped". And he clearly wasn't. He was moving when the ball was snapped, therefore it's a penalty.

And no doubt, the Ravens will get the obligatory worthless apology from the league office.
    I was coming here to say exactly that. Thanks for beating me to it.

If the refs are going to call every penalty where a guy even touches someone who maybe slightly behind them I wish more guys would Kenny Bell or Hines Ward their ass might as well get their moneys worth out of all these ticky tack block in the back fouls.

They'll get the lame "I'm sorry we were wrong" message from the league later this week.

That was a terrible call...common sense terrible...you can only jump vertically even if he was on the LOS, you can't jump forward and over people no matter where he's lined up.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    They'll get the lame "I'm sorry we were wrong" message from the league later this week.

That was a terrible call...common sense terrible...you can only jump vertically even if he was on the LOS, you can't jump forward and over people no matter where he's lined up.
    Not quite correct. The rule was posted earlier. You can jump forward or hurdle ONLY if you are at the LOS and stationary at the snap. That's why all of those down linemen can leap forward, or even jump over the offensive guys, and even land on top of them. The rule doesn't even mention hurdling people, because it doesn't matter. The only things that matter are where you are and whether you're moving at the snap.

The refs simply didn't know the rule, which is pathetic. It's not like they had to make a difficult interpretation, like the catch rule or "roughing" the passer.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

you can't have a running start and leap over the line which what dude did, you have to be standing still at the LOS and not over the center. what he did was illegal and should have been a penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

You can, if you are stationary on the line at the snap. That means no running start. This isn't even a judgement call - that block was illegal by both the letter and spirit of the rule.

We've been burned on this play twice in the past three years if not more. I remember that Patriot game where they did the same thing against us and that was Tucker's only missed kick that season I believe. If the refs won't enforce the rule, Harbaugh needs to just teach the offensive lineman to react and stand-up when the defense does this so that the refs can't miss it and we get our 5 yards and potentially a first down.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackmaster View Post
    We've been burned on this play twice in the past three years if not more. I remember that Patriot game where they did the same thing against us and that was Tucker's only missed kick that season I believe. If the refs won't enforce the rule, Harbaugh needs to just teach the offensive lineman to react and stand-up when the defense does this so that the refs can't miss it and we get our 5 yards and potentially a first down.
    It's an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. 15 yards and automatic 1st.

It's kind of funny in light of the fact that so many Denver fans are whining about the refs costing them the game yesterday. I got quite a few chuckles reading one of the Mile High Report threads last night. It reminded me of how they blasted the refs after the Mile High Miracle game years ago.

To be fair, a lot of their fans also blamed their team (coaching, lack of discipline, etc.). But the idea that the refs favor Baltimore seems to resonate with many of them. Which, to a Ravens fan, is downright hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    It's kind of funny in light of the fact that so many Denver fans are whining about the refs costing them the game yesterday. I got quite a few chuckles reading one of the Mile High Report threads last night. It reminded me of how they blasted the refs after the Mile High Miracle game years ago.

To be fair, a lot of their fans also blamed their team (coaching, lack of discipline, etc.). But the idea that the refs favor Baltimore seems to resonate with many of them. Which, to a Ravens fan, is downright hilarious.
    Ravens would have had 1st and 10 at the Denver 12 if the correct call had been made. And they've scored a touchdown on every red zone trip this year.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell