Page 1 of 13 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This is not why I watch football

Whatever this product is, I don't like it. I want to know how many of you like it.

I'm a guy that likes competitive games, where defenses have a chance to shine, and offenses are balanced between the run and pass.

Today, just in games so far, here are your leading rushers and passers:

RUSHING
    107 Tevin Coleman, ATL
    84 Joe Mixon, CIN
    77 Austin Ekeler, LAC (yep)
    75 Kareem Hunt, KC
    68 Lamar Miller, HOU

PASSING
    452 Ben Roethlisberger, PIT
    425 Kirk Cousins, MIN
    402 Ryan Fitzpatrick, TB
    376 Joe Flacco, BAL
    335 Cam Newton, CAR

That's three 400 yard games. Does this really have to be commonplace? BTW those five leading passers went 1-1-3.

I want to highlight something today. Green Bay and Minnesota played to a 29-29 tie. Green Bay would have won the game if not for this play:

https://twitter.com/OllieConnolly/st...17898831605760

Many times a controversial play happens, and you can say "the game did not hinge on that one play; team X needed to play better to win". Well, this was a play that had a direct effect on the game. The Packers got an INT on the play, and would have kneeled for the win, if it were not for that flag. The game plays on, the Vikings tie the game, and neither team scores in overtime. So instead of 2-0, the Packers are 1-0-1. Because of that one play.

THIS IS NOT WHY I WATCH THE NFL

Tell me - please tell me what Clay Matthews did there. Leading with the helmet? No. Hitting the QB high? No. Hitting the QB low? No. Hitting the QB late? No. Driving the QB in the turf? No.

Please if anyone on this board has any kind of clout, beg the competition committee to do something to give defenses a break. I get the targeting stuff - I really do - and the Matthews play right there has nothing to do with it!!

I am off my soapbox. Thank you.

Re: This is not why I watch football

Bullshit call.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Considering there are 5 ways to commit a foul when sacking a quarterback, there are five chances for a ref to see something incorrectly. Which of those 5 things did the refs see on that hit, I couldn't tell you. It was bad.

While we are talking about bad refs - the Steelers Chiefs game had some atrocious moments. Big Ben clearly stepped across the line of scrimmage on one of his TD passes and even upon review they didn't change it. James Connor appeared to be down on his TD run but they ruled him in. A clear TD by the Chiefs was ruled incomplete, forcing Andy Reid to challenge in order to get the points. It was sketch.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post

While we are talking about bad refs - the Steelers Chiefs game had some atrocious moments. Big Ben clearly stepped across the line of scrimmage on one of his TD passes and even upon review they didn't change it..
    Yeah, that one was even called "confirmed", and not "stands", which means the replay official clearly saw it as being legal, not that it was too close to overturn. Anyone watching that play in real time or in replay could see Ben was over. At best, it was too close to call. But "confirmed"? Horsecrap, and a reason fans think teams like the Steelers get the good treatment by the league office and the officials.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Yeah, that one was even called "confirmed", and not "stands", which means the replay official clearly saw it as being legal, not that it was too close to overturn. Anyone watching that play in real time or in replay could see Ben was over. At best, it was too close to call. But "confirmed"? Horsecrap, and a reason fans think teams like the Steelers get the good treatment by the league office and the officials.
    I saw the play and was surprised that the announcers did not clarify why that was a legal forward pass. According to the rules, a QB's body counts in the analysis.

"Note: It is a forward pass from beyond the line of scrimmage if the passer’s entire body and the ball are beyond the line of scrimmage when the ball is released, whether the passer is airborne or touching the ground. The penalty for a forward pass thrown from beyond the line is enforced from the spot where the ball is released." Rule 8, Section 1, Article 2.

The ENTIRE BODY AND THE BALL have to be past the LOS, and I believe that the heel of his foot was still technically at the LOS and not over. I have seen that before and thought it was a penalty until it was explained in detail.
    Captain Offense

6. Re: This is not why I watch football

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    I saw the play and was surprised that the announcers did not clarify why that was a legal forward pass. According to the rules, a QB's body counts in the analysis.

The announcers didn't clarify because the announcers (including Hall of Fame QB Dan Fouts) did not know the rule! Fouts spent a minute or two discussing how the ball was past the LoS, meaning that the play should have been a penalty. It was hilarious.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Considering there are 5 ways to commit a foul when sacking a quarterback, there are five chances for a ref to see something incorrectly. Which of those 5 things did the refs see on that hit, I couldn't tell you. It was bad.

While we are talking about bad refs - the Steelers Chiefs game had some atrocious moments. Big Ben clearly stepped across the line of scrimmage on one of his TD passes and even upon review they didn't change it. James Connor appeared to be down on his TD run but they ruled him in. A clear TD by the Chiefs was ruled incomplete, forcing Andy Reid to challenge in order to get the points. It was sketch.
    It has gotten to the point where the NFL should put flags on the QB's and defensive players are not allowed to hit them. There is such a small area that can be considered a "legal" hit the flag would be easier to grab. How many yards would a Dan Marino or Dan Fouts put up in a year with the rules in place today? I can remember Johnny U getting hit in the head with a forearm and Bert Jones piled driven into the ground.

This is what the NFL wants. It will only change when it hurts their bottom line.

Casual fans like high scoring games. Hardcore fans will watch no matter what (for the most part).
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Casual fans like high scoring games. Hardcore fans will watch no matter what (for the most part).
    I think that with any form of entertainment, hardcore fans have their place are important too -- even if they're not high in number. The people who are passionate are more likely to be drivers of the base, and will get people more excited. If your customers are only casual but high in number, that spells problems for the future, and your ability to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackmaster View Post
    I think that with any form of entertainment, hardcore fans have their place are important too -- even if they're not high in number. The people who are passionate are more likely to be drivers of the base, and will get people more excited. If your customers are only casual but high in number, that spells problems for the future, and your ability to grow.
    I've encountered more people encouraging others NOT to watch the NFL. Instead of "Join me. It's a great. You'll have fun," it's becoming, "Ugh. Don't watch that. Flag fest. Can't hit anyone. The anthem. You know it will come down to penalty, don't you?"

The game needs fans, but it also needs fanatics: cheerleaders whose intensity works like gravity attracting other people.
    Recently, the number of repellents is growing.
    Last edited by Coram_Nobis; 09-17-2018 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coram_Nobis View Post
    I've encountered more people encouraging others NOT to watch the NFL. Instead of "Join me. It's a great. You'll have fun," it's becoming, "Ugh. Don't watch that. Flag fest. Can't hit anyone. The flag. You know it will come down to penalty, don't you?"

The game needs fans, but it also needs fanatics: cheerleaders whose intensity works like gravity attracting other people.
    Recently, the number of repellents is growing.
    That's my point. By them messing with the rules, they're losing the drivers that should be working for them and not against them. I don't see people who would be obsessed with a flag football/AFL type product.