Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

weddle/jefferson = waste of money

weddle:
    this cat had one good season and the rest were avg to below average. today he looked slow and hesitant.
    last year he missed a bunch of tackle but folks gave him another chance.
    i dont see this guy as a difference maker.
    he is old and slow and cant tackle. not a good combo for a safety.

jefferson:
    no idea what this cat is doing. cant cover and dont see him in the box much. also not a difference maker.

i feel like we wasted money on these cats. thoughts?

Blog Entries

Re: weddle/jefferson = waste of money

Agreed. Which is why I was pissed they passed on Derwin James (and DJ Moore/Calvin Ridley) to pick up Lamar Jackson.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

I was hoping Wink could fix Jefferson, but he is still bad in coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Agreed. Which is why I was pissed they passed on Derwin James (and DJ Moore/Calvin Ridley) to pick up Lamar Jackson.
    i wonder if ozzie will be known more for missing on james or LJ (if he sucks)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    i wonder if ozzie will be known more for missing on james or LJ (if he sucks)
    Time will tell. But if this lame assed coaching staff insists on continuing to put him out there to run gimicky high school plays, then we'll find out sooner than later.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

I have to agree with you. I like Weddle. I really do, he's a good guy, great beard, and he actually does play decent. But when the chips are down and we need a safety to step up and make a play, step up and get a pick, step up and make an open field tackle to prevent a touchdown Weddle fails to do that. I think he's a good safety at best and average most of the time. He looks old and slow at times.

Jefferson has been one of the biggest free agency busts we have ever had. He's not god awful, but he's not good. He's a liability at times and more often than not he gets lost in coverage. I like his spunk, I think he can actually make an open field tackle unlike weddle, but in coverage he gets beat pretty frequently.

I also wished for Derwin James to be our pick. I thought that would've been another great youth injection into the defense and a very very good chance that we pick up the next star safety that leads the defense with Mosley and Judon. But instead we took Hurst and LJ.

I think Hurst has great potential and I'm ok now with that pick. LJ may be a great one. But for right now I wish we had better safety play.

Hell now that I think of it, Derwin James may have been the Ravens answer to the A.J. Green problem.

Everyone should remember the LJ trade was independent of trading back for hurst. It was 2 second round picks. We only got late round picks to trade back from 16. We traded one of them back again after that too. Not saying Hurst won't pan out, but we missed on a top ten pick that slipped to 16. The old ravens would have taken next player available because they trusted they had a complete roster. Would have been a steal.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Back when they were signed, the Ravens thought they were a playoff contender, and they needed to fill the gap at safety (caused by poor drafting - see WR for another example). I understood the moves at the time.

But if this season goes south, I am all for a full youth movement in the off-season (and actually, they have gotten a pretty good start on it already).

I thought Jefferson made a few nice plays in the box. They can be hard to notice because he gets mixed in with all the DL, OL, LB's and everyone else in the scrum. But he is still a liability in coverage.

Yes, Weddle looks SLOW. Very slow. But there were couple of plays where the CB blew his assignment, and made the Safeties look even worse.

I saw Chuck Clark come off the field looking gimpy. Did he ever come back in the game. I was happy to see all the young DB's contributing an getting some PT.

I’ve never understood the concept of having two small safeties. You have to have a hammer and a ball hawk.(Reed and pollard....Reed and Landry.... earl Thomas and Kam....) We are just way too small in the back end for me.

Yeah so I thought when they signed him, hmm Eric Weddle for one year, OK. But we are now going on year three??????