Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Jack/Correa 2 Years Later...

I threw an absolute fit when we didn't draft Myles Jack in 2016. I made a thread on the old Ravens board absolutely crucifying the Ravens brass for passing on a Pro-Bowl caliber talent in Jack in order to draft Correa. My argument was simple, at the time both picks were risky. Jack was incredibly talented but had questionable medicals with iffy sounding cartilage damage in his knee, Correa was risky because he flat out was boom or bust and very raw. In that situation why would you not take the player who had Top 10 pick potential when the yield wasn't even a safe pick of a lesser caliber player, but in fact an equally risky pick of a vastly less talented player.

I was told I was overreacting. I was told that "This is why Ozzie is the GM and you're on your couch, you're wrong" type comments. 2 years later and Correa is a flat out bust and Myles Jack is an absolute monster, no signs of the knee wearing down, and he is exceptional in coverage, something that both CJ Mosley and Peanut struggle with mightily. We are now essentially at gunpoint to pay CJ Mosley far more than he probably deserves and another UCLA LB in Kenny Young is our only hope at redemption for the ghost of Myles Jack that is already haunting us.

I have outsmarted this front office multiple times in recent years when we were on the clock, especially in the last 5 years and as somebody who watches tons of film and obsesses over the draft the Baltimore Ravens would be a much better football team if I made their selections for them in rounds 1-3 and that is extremely embarrassing. Right now we would have Stefon Diggs, Myles Jack, JuJu, Smith-Schuster just to name a few players that I said should be our pick as we were on the clock over recent years.

Ozzie and Eric do far better than me in the mid-late rounds which definitely deserves credit but I out draft them in the early rounds almost every single year based on who's available when we're on the clock.

Edit: Here is my thread from draft night day 2 in 2016 for proof

Last edited by sflegend89; 09-14-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Re: Jack/Correa 2 Years Later...

I was the same way about Jack. Was told it's too risky even in round two. Ozzie knows best and Correa looks like a stud on film. Maybe if Jack last until the third or fourth round they'll take a chance.

No balls just like passing on Derwin James because they needed a TE.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Congrats on all of your success.

Quote Originally Posted by tnsmith90 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by tnsmith90 View Post
    Look, I have been dead wrong on prospects as well. I thought Dorial Green-Beckham was going to be the next AJ Green and was furious we passed on him, I would've selected Bishop Sankey over Timmy Jernigan, I would've selected Miles Killebrew over Tavon Young.

My point isn't to come off as some smug asshole who thinks he knows it all. But I am being 100% honest when I say I have made better picks than Ozzie/Eric on quite a few occasions in the last 5 years or so and it is incredibly frustrating to me that I seem to get a read on certain prospects with much more limited resources than 2 guys who do this for a living. Again... Diggs, JuJu, Myles Jack would all be Ravens with my picks when we were on the clock. For a team that has literally zero game changing players on either side of the ball that is a pretty fucking big deal, obviously the drafting of one player would impact the outcome of future seasons and the opportunities to draft certain players would change based on my previous picks. (For example if I draft Diggs maybe we don't get put in a position to draft Jack/JuJu, but it's still very telling).

Hell...Michael Thomas was right there too.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

That draft was just unfortunate even all the way at the top. You got a guy who appears like he's going to be good but not great in Stanley while just missing out on three truly elite players. How different would last night have been with Bosa, Ramsey, or Elliott playing for us? Green sure as shit isn't scoring 3 TDs on Ramsey and it seems unlikely Dalton would have been clean all night with Bosa out there.

Unfortunate.

Yeah, yeah, you still have to figure something out at LT, but they'd have had a couple years to do that now.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

We know, we know - just had a thread about it.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

This just in - the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Bosa
    Ramsey
    Zeke
    Stanley:(

You HAVE to cash in when you have the number 6 pick.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Bosa
    Ramsey
    Zeke
    Stanley:(

You HAVE to cash in when you have the number 6 pick.
    At that point all of the elite talent was gone. And if you don't have a willing trade partner, you can't move up.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    At that point all of the elite talent was gone. And if you don't have a willing trade partner, you can't move up.
    Yeah I know but it still stings. I’d rather have taken Deforest Buckner or traded back. You can take an offensive lineman top ten and still have a shitty oline. Stanley is okay but he isn’t Ogden or Worth the #6 pick IMO.