Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Off duty Police officer mistakenly enters wrong home and kills the occupant

I think this goes to show that some people simply dont have the disposition to handle that job. if youre that afraid for your life at all times, you have zero reason to be a police officer where you put yourself willingly in the most dangerous situations daily. It takes a special kind of person to do it well.

theres so much wtf in this story its hard to determine what possibly happened, but I dont know how a police officer, who's suppose to be vigilant at all times, doesnt notice that this isnt her shit in the house, if she got inside, or why the first reaction to somebody answering a door, would be cause to use deadly force. The whole notion that she wasnt even at the right apartment complex is just a wtf kind of question. How are you in charge of protecting people, when you dont even have the capacity to know where you live. thats the issue I see with all this. we have far too many people not qualified for a very tough job, and then stupid shit happens when you give those people authority.

manslaughter makes sense. It would be hard to prove malice without evidence of any interaction between the two. I dont think race had anything to do with it, just a police officer that clearly shouldn't have been one. Id say that happens more often than not and gets blamed as racism.
    -JAB

2. Re: Off duty Police officer mistakenly enters wrong home and kills the occupant

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I think this goes to show that some people simply dont have the disposition to handle that job. if youre that afraid for your life at all times, you have zero reason to be a police officer where you put yourself willingly in the most dangerous situations daily. It takes a special kind of person to do it well.

theres so much wtf in this story its hard to determine what possibly happened, but I dont know how a police officer, who's suppose to be vigilant at all times, doesnt notice that this isnt her shit in the house, if she got inside, or why the first reaction to somebody answering a door, would be cause to use deadly force. The whole notion that she wasnt even at the right apartment complex is just a wtf kind of question. How are you in charge of protecting people, when you dont even have the capacity to know where you live. thats the issue I see with all this. we have far too many people not qualified for a very tough job, and then stupid shit happens when you give those people authority.

manslaughter makes sense. It would be hard to prove malice without evidence of any interaction between the two. I dont think race had anything to do with it, just a police officer that clearly shouldn't have been one. Id say that happens more often than not and gets blamed as racism.
    I agree that there are still way too many details about this that aren't being made available, as of yet. I also feel that the standards are/have been lowered to become a LEO. One, because they are wanting (and mandated) "diversity" in their hiring practices. Nothing basically wrong w/that, but let's face it, sometimes it becomes an issue. I really wish it didn't, but it does. Also, these days, other than those who get off on the "power trip" (I've known a few), who wants to do this job? I imagine most of them just want to go to work, do their jobs and return home safely to their families. It's something that will continue to be an even bigger problem as we move on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    I agree that there are still way too many details about this that aren't being made available, as of yet. I also feel that the standards are/have been lowered to become a LEO. One, because they are wanting (and mandated) "diversity" in their hiring practices. Nothing basically wrong w/that, but let's face it, sometimes it becomes an issue. I really wish it didn't, but it does. Also, these days, other than those who get off on the "power trip" (I've known a few), who wants to do this job? I imagine most of them just want to go to work, do their jobs and return home safely to their families. It's something that will continue to be an even bigger problem as we move on.
    agreed.

some I think want to treat it like any other job. Its simply not. You cant just clock in, go through the motions and clock out. you cant be jsut some guy off the street and expect the training to be all you need. It takes more commitment and certainl personality traits to be a good one. Ive seen the standards drop and im only linked through friends/family who are LEOs and tell me stories about it. People arent trying to go into police like they once were. Its no longer our "finest" but whoever is willing to accept the job and were seeing the results of that, imo. Id venture to say if able to pick from a larger pool, that a good many cops today wouldnt have made the cut prior, not that its the majority, but if were only talking about the bottom 5-15% thats significant nation wide. i think thats something that the conversation needs to be turned to, but instead people focus on the surface issues that divide us.

I want LEOs to come home safe to their families. I just want those that are LEOs to be best suited for the job at hand, those that arent, to be returning safe to home from their job at lowes or wherever else theyre better suited for.
    -JAB

This post brings up an interesting question...

With the onslought of negative attention that LEO's have been getting for 10 years...what types of people are becoming police officers? Who wants to be a cop? Why would they want to be a cop? It's never paid well and now...it has a very negative stigma attached to it. Like any job...if a company is having a hard time recruiting top-notch people to fill openings, the qualifications of the people they start to hire then goes down. They scrape from the bottom of the barrell to find new employees because they need bodies. I worked for a company for 15 years that did this. That company is currently on a downward trajectory as a result of this and a lot of the downward spiral can be contributed to the quality of the people they have been hiring in recent years.

Would you hire a lawyer to represent you in court if you found out that they didn't know where they lived? Hell no! So, why would we trust an LEO to protect us if they don't know where they live? You wouldn't! It's ridiculous that this even happened. The whole thing wreaks of incompetence. I'd be curious to see the quality of the other officers at her department.

Awful.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    This post brings up an interesting question...

With the onslought of negative attention that LEO's have been getting for 10 years...what types of people are becoming police officers? Who wants to be a cop? Why would they want to be a cop? It's never paid well and now...it has a very negative stigma attached to it. Like any job...if a company is having a hard time recruiting top-notch people to fill openings, the qualifications of the people they start to hire then goes down. They scrape from the bottom of the barrell to find new employees because they need bodies. I worked for a company for 15 years that did this. That company is currently on a downward trajectory as a result of this and a lot of the downward spiral can be contributed to the quality of the people they have been hiring in recent years.

Would you hire a lawyer to represent you in court if you found out that they didn't know where they lived? Hell no! So, why would we trust an LEO to protect us if they don't know where they live? You wouldn't! It's ridiculous that this even happened. The whole thing wreaks of incompetence. I'd be curious to see the quality of the other officers at her department.

Awful.
    It certainly seems perpetuating. standards for hiring need to be tightened. hire people not suited for it, they screw up, people complain about it, less people try out, and the cycle repeats, dwindling more and more.

Its not just media cycle doing this. IMO this has been happening longer than its been covered. most of my buddies started 15 years ago or longer and its still been an issue that entire time.
    -JAB

ts not just media cycle doing this. IMO this has been happening longer than its been covered. most of my buddies started 15 years ago or longer and its still been an issue that entire time.
    20 years ago...did you ever recall the media spreading the lies that they have spread in the last 10 years with regards to LEO's? "Hands-up don't shoot" was clearly a lie and it was promoted as truth forever...and still is in most MSM circles.

IMO, there is a permeating "Ferguson effect" that lingers over a lot of this "negative stigma" that is attached to law enforcement.

Blog Entries

agreed.

some I think want to treat it like any other job. Its simply not. You cant just clock in, go through the motions and clock out. you cant be jsut some guy off the street and expect the training to be all you need. It takes more commitment and certainl personality traits to be a good one. Ive seen the standards drop and im only linked through friends/family who are LEOs and tell me stories about it. People arent trying to go into police like they once were. Its no longer our "finest" but whoever is willing to accept the job and were seeing the results of that, imo. Id venture to say if able to pick from a larger pool, that a good many cops today wouldnt have made the cut prior, not that its the majority, but if were only talking about the bottom 5-15% thats significant nation wide. i think thats something that the conversation needs to be turned to, but instead people focus on the surface issues that divide us.

I want LEOs to come home safe to their families. I just want those that are LEOs to be best suited for the job at hand, those that arent, to be returning safe to home from their job at lowes or wherever else theyre better suited for.
    This. Some jobs you choose, some jobs choose you. Police officer is one of them (along with nurse, firefighter, teacher, pastor)
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

20 years ago...did you ever recall the media spreading the lies that they have spread in the last 10 years with regards to LEO's? "Hands-up don't shoot" was clearly a lie and it was promoted as truth forever...and still is in most MSM circles.

IMO, there is a permeating "Ferguson effect" that lingers over a lot of this "negative stigma" that is attached to law enforcement.
    Dude, what does "hands up, don't shoot" have to do with this story? Give it a rest. Geez.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

...and that would be a surface issue imo, and only distracting from the real issue. blaming the media completely ignores recruitment/hiring practices that result in the stories that the media then sensationalizes, that again, were happening prior to this current state of the media. focusing on their coverage, doesnt change that. theyve been wrong before, and theyll be wrong again, but meanwhile were still seeing shortages and poor practices that perpetuate these incidents and each one of those actual incidents, media coverage or not, is having a ripple effect in those communities.
    -JAB

...and that would be a surface issue imo, and only distracting from the real issue. blaming the media completely ignores recruitment/hiring practices that result in the stories that the media then sensationalizes, that again, were happening prior to this current state of the media. focusing on their coverage, doesnt change that. theyve been wrong before, and theyll be wrong again, but meanwhile were still seeing shortages and poor practices that perpetuate these incidents and each one of those actual incidents, media coverage or not, is having a ripple effect in those communities.
    I certainly wouldnt blame the media entirely. IMO, the issues are plentiful, but the media seems to like to push one particular narrative above all else.

Blog Entries

Ill add to that last post.

ferguson is one that people continually point to as an example of a media lie. ok. that particular incident has been pointed to as a turning point, a jump-off for BLM and this entire issue shedding light on it. National Media coverage.

however, that completely ignores the entire lead up to that incident and why Feguson was a powder keg ready to go off in the first place. This wasnt one incident that the media got wrong, it was a ton of smaller incidents that got people to their breaking point, that you never hear about, to this day. you listen to some of those people interviewed after it. They may be wrong about that incident but almost all of them said some form of "this has been happening for years". TO me its that accumulative effect, not necessarily covered by media, that were seeing blow up and now be covered. it was there prior. growing and perpetuating all the same.

were to focused on the aftermath to see the root cause.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

I certainly wouldnt blame the media entirely. IMO, the issues are plentiful, but the media seems to like to push one particular narrative above all else.
    I will say theyre part of it. I just think its a rather small part vs the actual communities effected most by these. See previous post.
    -JAB