Page 1 of 29 123 ... LastLast

Off duty Police officer mistakenly enters wrong home and kills the occupant

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...im-police-say/

I would suggest reading the article before responding. I don't want to say this is a racial incident before more is known about it. I just want to say that this story brings up a lot of questions.

How did the officer get into the home? Was the door unlocked?

How does one not notice that he/she is not in one's own home?

What would lead an off duty officer to shoot a person in his own home?

There's a lot of questions in this situation and it smells fishing. The department wanted to originally charge the woman with manslaughter, but decided to have an outside party handle the investigation.

I imagine that's fine, by I fail to see what story would have to have taken place to have this not be at least an instance of man slaughter.

Even if the man pulled a weapon in self defense, it's unlikely the officer announced herself seeing as how she was off duty and her excuse was she thought it was her own home.

One could say it was a simple and unfortunate misunderstanding but I fail to see how a person can enter into a home that isn't their own and not once notice that they are in the wrong building. Even if it in the same complex.

Blog Entries

Re: Off duty Police officer mistakenly enters wrong home and kills the occupant

I don't see how this was racially motivated. She needs to go to jail though.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Of course. I don't want to say it was racially motivated because the officer probably didn't know the man so how can she choose to kill him based on his skin?
    It's just crazy that something like this would happen and I'm awaiting to hear the officer's explanation.

4. Re: Off duty Police officer mistakenly enters wrong home and kills the occupant

Nowhere near enough reliable info to go on yet. Why is race even being brought up? At all?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    Nowhere near enough reliable info to go on yet. Why is race even being brought up? At all?
    Because that's what is done. Officer needs to be drug and alcohol tested. Makes no sense at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CarrollCoRaven View Post
    Because that's what is done. Officer needs to be drug and alcohol tested. Makes no sense at all.
    Even though she was off duty?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The_Violent_Katt View Post
    Of course. I don't want to say it was racially motivated because the officer probably didn't know the man so how can she choose to kill him based on his skin?
    It's just crazy that something like this would happen and I'm awaiting to hear the officer's explanation.
    I agree 100%. I don't understand how somebody could, after trying their key and seeing it doesn't work, would choose as a first reaction to draw their gun and fire when someone comes to the door. Really suspect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Even though she was off duty?
    I believe police are randomly drug tested or am I wrong or have standards been lowered that much? Either way, just how can you explain going into the wrong home that you think is yours. I'm not buying fatigue. Pretty sad if you are too wasted to know your own home. Just trying to understand why.

Blog Entries

I believe police are randomly drug tested or am I wrong or have standards been lowered that much? Either way, just how can you explain going into the wrong home that you think is yours. I'm not buying fatigue. Pretty sad if you are too wasted to know your own home. Just trying to understand why.
    They are randomly tested. I'm not sure if they have to submit to screening if something happens while they are off duty. I'm not sure the union would allow that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    They are randomly tested. I'm not sure if they have to submit to screening if something happens while they are off duty. I'm not sure the union would allow that.
    Well I would imagine they have the right to test an officer after the officer shoots someone under these crazy circumstances. I'm guessing a regular citizen would have to submit to testing, and since she was off duty, I assume she is treated as a citizen and maybe the union does not have a say in a matter like this. I'm not a practicing lawyer. LOL

Well I would imagine they have the right to test an officer after the officer shoots someone under these crazy circumstances. I'm guessing a regular citizen would have to submit to testing, and since she was off duty, I assume she is treated as a citizen and maybe the union does not have a say in a matter like this. I'm not a practicing lawyer. LOL
    Why would they need to test the officer (or a private citizen for that matter). Just put them in jail until their trial.

12. Re: Off duty Police officer mistakenly enters wrong home and kills the occupant