Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Check out the new bama facilities

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon King Onaga View Post
    I would be surprised if the amount a Power 5 conference school spent on tuition for an entire team was even 5% of the actual revenue the football program brings in for the school.
    I am actually in favor of the Power 5 conferences breaking away from the NCAA so they can stop the pretense and form a legitimate minor league system for the NFL. If there's really a problem with academic schools doing this, have them create a new major: Football.

Students majoring in Football prepare for a professional life in Football. They should take business classes about managing their money, and practice time should count for credits. To me it seems too simple. Not to mention it can prepare them for life after the NFL so they don't go broke.

Going one step further, the Power 5 should get together and create the four superconferences we've been waiting years for.

- Four Superconferences
    - Two divisions each
    - Eight teams per division, 16 per superconference
    - Seven dedicated division games
    - Two-Three cross-division games and then whichever scheduled schools
    - NO games outside the league... no Northeast Arkansas Tech.
    - Non-power schools can form some secondary league
    - If a school wants into the premier league, it'll have to bump an existing school out. Like the Euro Leagues do. Talk about an incentive. Maybe if a school has a horrible scandal they get kicked to second tier and have their premier scholarships revoked. There are a number of things they could do here.

- Playoffs: conference championships are first (round of 8), then the winners are seeded 1-4 and play the semis. Three weeks of competition plus any additional bowl games - shouldn't be any worse than what they do now.

- and for goodness sake stop calling it amateur. Take the necessary steps.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB58 View Post
    Agree. It is morally reprehensible in my opinion. Someday, probably sooner rather than later, someone is going to construct a successful legal challenge that will bring all this down and result in the players getting their fair share of the revenues that big-time college sports generate.
    We get to go to school for free. Free room and board, free classes, free tutors, free everything. All that money Bama football is generating has to go to the far less popular sports like baseball, track and field, gymnastics, swimming, etc... Football programs make a profit, by and large, but have to spread the money out to other sports that don't make money. My school gives scholarships to the girls' soccer team and there's no charge to watch their games.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    I'll say that I'm not opposed to players being paid. But I really have no idea as to what form that takes. I'm just as content if they don't get paid at all. Star players will get money and cars from boosters, etc. regardless. I have seen that happen first hand.

Just for the sake of ideas....full ride plus stipend is not unheard of (for select non-athletes). Or maybe football time (workouts, meetings, etc.) get counted as "work study".

Then there is the matter of who gets paid and who doesn't. Not eveone is the same. Some are full scholarship, some partial, some none. Maybe only full scholarships get paid? I really have no clue.

My only point in all this is that the money there to pay players if the powers that be decide to do so.
    I have been part of this debate for years, since the "pay the students" generally never takes into account what it means to an "employer" to pay a "wage". Before that discussion even sees the light of day you have to study what cost is involved in social security, medicare, unemployment tax, workers' compensation insurance, and all other employer-related costs. Then you need to look into the taxes/regulations/administrative issues that apply when someone is an employee on a state-by-state basis. And then you need to consider how these students will be taxed by each state and the accountants they need to hire. None of this discussion is simple.
    And since football pays for a lot of sports to exist at all, the "money in/money out" argument expands the discussion as well.
    Captain Offense

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    OK, but now I have to add (3) = should any entity (be it college or private business) hire anyone with the thought of not making a profit off their work skills? I think not... Bc
    Why is a publicly funded university concerned with turning a profit?

Why is this $600 million not being funneled into the university as a whole, furthering their stated mission of research and education? That kind of money (almost $15,600 per student) could change some lives. Instead, they're upgrading an already over-the-top football environment. It's disgusting.

One percent of players ever draw a pro paycheck. They all have hopes and dreams but few make it.

If you paid them to play in college there would be so much money changing hands illegally that it would be like prohibition. And in the end the same top 15 schools would get all the talent. Right now star high schoolers know if they can get to Bama even if they don’t start there they will get a shot at the nfl. Every year undrafted Bama players get onto preseason squads with a real chance of making it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cvilleRaven View Post

Why is this $600 million not being funneled into the university as a whole, furthering their stated mission of research and education? That kind of money (almost $15,600 per student) could change some lives. Instead, they're upgrading an already over-the-top football environment. It's disgusting.
    (a) because if they didn't "turn a profit", the people of that state would have to pony up through increased taxes.
    (b) revenues allow colleges and universities to give out scholarship $$$ to academic students as well as student-athletes.
    (c) OK, let's pay college football players... then would you have them pay for their tuition/room & board too? I looked up the Alabama student costs : In-state: $26,074 Out-of-state: $43,394.

Tell me/us, how is a student-athlete to pay that even with a $alary?
    You've also disregarded that the player/student has an environment to show off his skills to NFL teams. Where else is he going to do that, pray tell... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by cvilleRaven View Post

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...lf-bob-huggins

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    We get to go to school for free. Free room and board, free classes, free tutors, free everything. All that money Bama football is generating has to go to the far less popular sports like baseball, track and field, gymnastics, swimming, etc... Football programs make a profit, by and large, but have to spread the money out to other sports that don't make money. My school gives scholarships to the girls' soccer team and there's no charge to watch their games.
    Although U of Alabama is a rare exception, many universities actually charge the students an "athletic fee" to pay for their school's sports, regardless if they are participating in them in any way. This includes schools whose programs are currently generating large revenues. My wife got hit for $500 a year I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    I have been part of this debate for years, since the "pay the students" generally never takes into account what it means to an "employer" to pay a "wage". Before that discussion even sees the light of day you have to study what cost is involved in social security, medicare, unemployment tax, workers' compensation insurance, and all other employer-related costs. Then you need to look into the taxes/regulations/administrative issues that apply when someone is an employee on a state-by-state basis. And then you need to consider how these students will be taxed by each state and the accountants they need to hire. None of this discussion is simple.
    And since football pays for a lot of sports to exist at all, the "money in/money out" argument expands the discussion as well.
    Excellent points.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    (a) because if they didn't "turn a profit", the people of that state would have to pony up through increased taxes.
    (b) revenues allow colleges and universities to give out scholarship $$$ to academic students as well as student-athletes.
    (c) OK, let's pay college football players... then would you have them pay for their tuition/room & board too? I looked up the Alabama student costs : In-state: $26,074 Out-of-state: $43,394.

Tell me/us, how is a student-athlete to pay that even with a $alary?
    You've also disregarded that the player/student has an environment to show off his skills to NFL teams. Where else is he going to do that, pray tell... Bc
    If the goal of collegiate athletics at this level has reached a point where "turning a profit" is necessary to justify itself, then the universities in question are failing each and every student enrolled in their schools. The point of collegiate athletics is not to be a minor league audition for a professional league. Since we all know it is, college football at those levels needs to be treated as a business.

Bottom line - cut the pretense that they are "student athletes."

You can argue that they are already being paid thru scholarships. Just allow the players to make money off of their own likeness. If the local car dealer wants to pay a player to do a commercial or Nike wants to offer an endorsement contract to the star quarterback, why not?

The place kicker at Alabama is not the one being exploited. Its the Johnny Manziel’s and Tebow’s that one can argue are being exploited. Imagine how much money Tebow lost in his four years at Florida? Or the revenue “Johnny football” could of made.