Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: My current 53

Re: My current 53

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I believe they're trying to hide Kaare Vedvik and stash him on the practice squad. Didn't kick at all last game, will be interesting if he kicks on Monday.
    Maybe. But why? I'd have to think he and his agent know the Ravens already have two of the best kickers in the league, but also some of the best special teams coaches, too. I would expect that he's just an extra camp leg for the Ravens and they represent a chance to get a job elsewhere for him.

If I were him I'd be pissed that they try to hide me rather than help me audition for the league.

I recall Jerry Rosburg and Randy Brown getting credit for finding Will Lutz -- a relative nobody out of George State (apparently these two have a "system" for identifying a certain type of leg swing)--and Harbaugh getting him the job in New Orleans by placing a call to Sean Payton.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Maybe. But why? I'd have to think he and his agent know the Ravens already have two of the best kickers in the league, but also some of the best special teams coaches, too. I would expect that he's just an extra camp leg for the Ravens and they represent a chance to get a job elsewhere for him.

If I were him I'd be pissed that they try to hide me rather than help me audition for the league.

I recall Jerry Rosburg and Randy Brown getting credit for finding Will Lutz -- a relative nobody out of George State (apparently these two have a "system" for identifying a certain type of leg swing)--and Harbaugh getting him the job in New Orleans by placing a call to Sean Payton.
    yeah. these guys have a reputation for finding and molding talent. That attracts talent that is commonly undrafted (k & P). by continuing that reputation we better our odds of signing the next tucker or Koch when we need to. In the meantime, consider ourselves a farm system for the rest of the league. If we can trade him ok, but more likely well cut and let them sign elsewhere.

If he doesnt get interest besides a PS, id assume wed try at that point, but i dont think were trying to stash a guy against his wishes, in any case. Guys that accept injuries or PS squad deals are doing so willingly.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Theres really no reason to keep RG3 other than if you think hell get you through a few games that LJ wont ...

I wont really be surprised if they go with 2 or 3. I see the merits in both, but im definitely leaning more towards 2, since were so squeezed at other positions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Either follow your suggestion or just go ahead with the mercy-cuts several young WRs due to having too many good looking prospects on the preseason roster plus possible resurgence by Perriman.

Ravens have got to keep 3 WRs [DID YOU MEAN QBs, MistaT?]. RG3 (105.3 rating) looks pretty good, and rookie Jackson (preseason QB rating 54.5) right now is a long way from being able to do more than a few tricks plays here & there.
    Personally, I'd be pretty surprised if they keep three QBs.

I could see RG3 getting a bunch of snaps against the Colts and then being traded to a team with bad back-up QB situations. I look at the Seahawks, with Austin Davis or rookie Alex McGough behind Russell Wilson. Or Carolina with Garrett Gilbert and Taylor Heinicke sitting behind Cam Newton. I think there is legit value for a team like this to throw a late conditional pick at the Ravens and get RG3 into camp with time left to get a bunch of snaps and learn the system before the season starts--maybe even starting the entire fourth game of the preseason.

If RG3 doesn't beat out these iffy back ups, the draft pick can be given back and the Ravens can always sign RG3 in an emergency.

My view would be if Joe were to go down, Woodrum would be brought as well and may be a better option if just for a couple weeks.

I'm on board with the idea of cutting a guy earlier if you know you aren't keeping him. Perriman is that kind of guy. If Kafusi or Davis were in that position you'd think the team would have been giving them more snaps.
    Last edited by Shas; 08-14-2018 at 02:29 PM.

Could Decosta invoke the 80/20 rule on moving on from Koch and going with Velvek? Decosta has been described as wanting to do something different with how cap numbers are allocated. This would be a shrewd move. The kid has shown very effective punting in the HOF game. I wouldn't be upset with such a bold move.

Ketivah v'chatima tovah

Yes. He's having a good camp and made a great catch vs. the Rams. But does his body of work work against him? He's guilty of prior balls bouncing off his hands and becoming INTs (Bears game 2017). Again with Decosta wanting to manage the cap differently. I see Grant providing the 80/20

Ketivah v'chatima tovah

Quote Originally Posted by RavenIsh View Post
    Yes. He's having a good camp and made a great catch vs. the Rams. But does his body of work work against him? He's guilty of prior balls bouncing off his hands and becoming INTs (Bears game 2017). Again with Decosta wanting to manage the cap differently. I see Grant providing the 80/20

Ketivah v'chatima tovah
    I assume this is still about Moore... he's not going anywhere. Showed steady improvement last year and it sounds like that's carried over into camp. Clear WR4. He's still got 2 more years on his contract cheap so there's no 80/20 rule here. He's on his rookie deal. He's a lock.

What would the possible upside for RGIII to have a "wink-wink/nod-nod" agreement? Why take no money and forego competing offers?
    He'll get cut because roster spots are too valueable. If Flacco is IR'd he'll likely still be available barring a rash of injuries. Lamar can probably do as well (bad) as Mallet and they went with him after seeing how horrible he was. I don't think they draft 12 guys and then cut one with potential for a backup QB to simply finish the season respectable.

Obviosly Moore doesn't cut. I think he'll finish as one of our top 3 or 4 ball catchers this year.

Kaare Vedvik is tempting but until he starts holding for Tucker I don't think he is an option.

Trading DL or DB or WR for ILB or RB are intriguing possibilties.

Perriman should be gone, I hope they are keeping him with hopes of trading him.

Agree one of Bozeman/Senat will be IR and the other a roster spot.

The White/Grant spot is Whites to lose.

As for the RG3 argument, I think a lot of people are missing the point. Keeping RG3 is an investment into the future of this franchise. He's a perfect resource for Lamar to have in the QB room with him for the season, and maybe even next season as his backup if they go that route. To me, the value of helping out your future franchise QB is way more than the value you'd get out of whatever fringe player sits at the back of the roster and on the weekly inactive list. We have 7 inactives every single week. What does it matter if it's RG3 or some other position player that in all honesty, is probably just as safe on the PS? I think we just get way too attached to these back of the roster types and how often do they actually amount to any serious value?

Quote Originally Posted by brown2RAVEN View Post
    The White/Grant spot is Whites to lose.
    Just a side note on Grant. If you watch LJ's touchdown run against the Rams, Grant throws a fantastic block downfield to spring him from the ten yard line before he jukes the last defender. Grant has also looked pretty good with the ball in his hands as a receiver.

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

It’s going to be hard this year even IF you say rg3 is not on the 53.

Even with a COUPLE IR placements

The toughest choices will be the 6th WR, the last o-lineman (and it’s 8 or 9), last LB, last D-lineman, last safety, maybe the last TE

Good problem to have but tough decisions

Blog Entries

the thing is, we know the last few spots come down to special teams, and most of the roster is set otherwise. WR is really the big question mark for me, because weve clearly invested a ton in that spot, but we dont typically let rookies go. so how can you account for 6 guys, only 2 of which have STs ability and the 7th is a top RS? thats the biggest question mark imo. How you handle that position, everything else falls into place after that, once youre set with 6 or 7 WRs, you know what you have to do at other positions.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Koch is 36 now. I don't think there's really any chance he's cut this year, and I don't know what his contract status looks like moving forward, but if they like what they see from Vedvik I can see them trying to keep him around somehow to take over for him next year.

I know P can play until and into their 40's, but if you have a cheap young guy who you think can take over, why wouldn't you do that and save some money? It is a business after all. Again not talking about this year but next year and beyond.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52