Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: My current 53

Re: My current 53

Quote Originally Posted by Minion View Post
    As for the RG3 argument, I think a lot of people are missing the point. Keeping RG3 is an investment into the future of this franchise. He's a perfect resource for Lamar to have in the QB room with him for the season, and maybe even next season as his backup if they go that route. To me, the value of helping out your future franchise QB is way more than the value you'd get out of whatever fringe player sits at the back of the roster and on the weekly inactive list. We have 7 inactives every single week. What does it matter if it's RG3 or some other position player that in all honesty, is probably just as safe on the PS? I think we just get way too attached to these back of the roster types and how often do they actually amount to any serious value?
    Hey, everyone's entitled to an opinion on what they would do if the decision is their's. I am trying to come at it from the point of view of what I think Harbaugh will do.

As I try to follow their logic, I don't think they will be willing to give someone a roster spot primarily to mentor another player. That's why they have a quarterback coach and coordinator. The only way I see them valuing RG3 enough to use a roster spot is if they conclude Jackson would be a complete disaster if Joe Flacco has to miss games. Otherwise, I believe they'll be willing to allow Jackson to step into the role can call up Woodrum to be the backup while Joe is out.

Again, thinking like Harbaugh, we know he values special team contributors. Every year we see someone like Albert McClellan or Vince Mayle being left off the prediction list because they have little to no upside as a position player, and we forget the value they have as a special team contributor who will dress on Sundays.

The league created the inactive list as a competitive balance tool, in recognition that week-to-week teams deal with injuries. So while they are non-contributors in a given week, they need to be on the roster so there is adequate depth--a starter goes down and you can't be left with only one other player who can fill that role. From that perspective, they don't need RG3, and we're back to him only being a mentor.

I still see us keeping three QBs; not due to the fact that RG3 is much more polished than LJ, but more so bc LJ's thin build and his somewhat wreck less running style. Just in these two preseason games LJ has taken some shots. If Flacco goes down and LJ then comes in and gets banged up or isn't ready.. if we cut RG3 loose then the season will be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Koch is 36 now. I don't think there's really any chance he's cut this year, and I don't know what his contract status looks like moving forward, but if they like what they see from Vedvik I can see them trying to keep him around somehow to take over for him next year.

I know P can play until and into their 40's, but if you have a cheap young guy who you think can take over, why wouldn't you do that and save some money? It is a business after all. Again not talking about this year but next year and beyond.
    Not that I do not see Koch as a fantastic punter, but I am concerned more about the part of the FG unit that he represents. I have not paid attention to whether Vedvik has been tested in the pivot role with placement. I have not seen a great punting performance but it did look like he is progressing, but that other piece has me concerned.
    Captain Offense

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Hey, everyone's entitled to an opinion on what they would do if the decision is their's. I am trying to come at it from the point of view of what I think Harbaugh will do.

As I try to follow their logic, I don't think they will be willing to give someone a roster spot primarily to mentor another player. That's why they have a quarterback coach and coordinator. The only way I see them valuing RG3 enough to use a roster spot is if they conclude Jackson would be a complete disaster if Joe Flacco has to miss games. Otherwise, I believe they'll be willing to allow Jackson to step into the role can call up Woodrum to be the backup while Joe is out.

Again, thinking like Harbaugh, we know he values special team contributors. Every year we see someone like Albert McClellan or Vince Mayle being left off the prediction list because they have little to no upside as a position player, and we forget the value they have as a special team contributor who will dress on Sundays.

The league created the inactive list as a competitive balance tool, in recognition that week-to-week teams deal with injuries. So while they are non-contributors in a given week, they need to be on the roster so there is adequate depth--a starter goes down and you can't be left with only one other player who can fill that role. From that perspective, they don't need RG3, and we're back to him only being a mentor.
    See, I'm coming at it the exact same way and I think Harbaugh and co. would like to keep him. I think they realize it's for the betterment of the future. While I think that plays a major part, I'm also in on them not trusting Lamar if Flacco had to miss a couple of games. Based on what we've seen so far, RG3 definitely gives this team a better chance to win. Nothing against Lamar of course as there are some real positives, but he needs work.

To your point on the inactives, I think it's just overvaluing back end of the roster players. How many of them actually amount to anything? That's why I have no qualms about keeping a 3rd QB. We always pretend like cuts are going to be so difficult. When a player is let go, they either chill on our PS for the year until they're needed or head elsewhere and no one cares about them anymore.

See, I'm coming at it the exact same way and I think Harbaugh and co. would like to keep him. I think they realize it's for the betterment of the future.
    I can't see into their minds, so I can't really argue with your belief they don't have enough faith in their first round pick to think he could win games if he were forced to play.

I can only go off history, which says that they put a lot of value in special teams contributors.

To your point on the inactives, I think it's just overvaluing back end of the roster players. How many of them actually amount to anything?
    I'll just have to flat out disagree with you here. The team has a tremendous history of finding and developing players picked in the later rounds and over time developed into major contributors. It may be the very essence of who the Ravens are as an organization.

Ryan Jensen was a sixth rounder who spent two years on the practice squad, then a reserve and finally a starter, and now the highest paid center in the league.

Jarrett Johnson was drafted as a defensive tackle out of Alabama, barely played aside from special teams, converted to OLB and became a Ring of Honor type of Raven.

Bart Scott.

Adalus Thomas.

Jameel McClain

Will Demps

Arthur Jones

Pernell McPhee

Nick Boyle

Maurice Canady

Sticking with guys like this and turning them into solid contributors is what, for me, separates the Ravens from teams who chase big name free agents.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I can't see into their minds, so I can't really argue with your belief they don't have enough faith in their first round pick to think he could win games if he were forced to play.

I can only go off history, which says that they put a lot of value in special teams contributors.

I'll just have to flat out disagree with you here. The team has a tremendous history of finding and developing players picked in the later rounds and over time developed into major contributors. It may be the very essence of who the Ravens are as an organization.

Ryan Jensen was a sixth rounder who spent two years on the practice squad, then a reserve and finally a starter, and now the highest paid center in the league.

Jarrett Johnson was drafted as a defensive tackle out of Alabama, barely played aside from special teams, converted to OLB and became a Ring of Honor type of Raven.

Bart Scott.

Adalus Thomas.

Jameel McClain

Will Demps

Arthur Jones

Pernell McPhee

Nick Boyle

Maurice Canady

Sticking with guys like this and turning them into solid contributors is what, for me, separates the Ravens from teams who chase big name free agents.
    It's easy to pull out the names that did make it, but for everyone there that has, there are 10 that haven't. To me, there's more value in helping out the future of your franchise than there is to keeping say, a 7th WR when in all reality, that guy is probably safe on the PS. If he's not, then you can probably find something eerily similar on the open market. That's just how I view things.

If this wasn't the future of our franchise here, this wouldn't really be a discussion. I wouldn't keep 3 QBs really any other year. I just think the value in having an additional resource to help a supremely talented player develop is worth a lot more than what is likely to be a career backup at best, or a guy that is completely off the roster in 2 years.

With all of that being said, I'm always admittedly hard of these back end of the roster types because most of the time, it's nothing but pure hype. I look last year at Mizzell when people were saying there was no way we could cut him. We ended up losing him, sure, but he's rarely played last year and there's not one person here still complaining about it. Jeremy Butler, Matt Furstenburg, etc. all fall in the same category. I'll admit that we are a little deeper this year, but the contenders vs. RG3 just don't stand out to me. Maybe I'm letting a little personal bias get in the way here, but I'll still stick to my opinion.

It's easy to pull out the names that did make it, but for everyone there that has, there are 10 that haven't. ...
    If this wasn't the future of our franchise here, this wouldn't really be a discussion.
    It's certainly valid to argue that not every back-end-of-the-roster guy will make it. No team ever bats 1.000

But my view is that the Ravens have a much higher batting average than everyone else, and if I'm predicting what they WILL do, I'm betting they stick with their usual philosophy and hold onto cheap young players over older vets. They drafted 18 players over the two prior years and 17 of them are still on the roster.

Hey, it's just one roster spot and maybe it's Perriman who gets cut to make room for RG3. But even there, I can think of other players I'd rather not have to cut and get back onto the practice squad, like Bozeman.

When you frame it with "future of the franchise" I simply go in the exact opposite direction you want me to go. I don't equate RG3 with the future in any way. I'm more apt to accept your earlier argument that the coaches don't trust LJ and RG3 is a stop gap.

Blog Entries

I also don't think RG3 will make the final roster; there is just no reason to do so. Flacco is the starter, if something happens that would keep him out a few games, they'll bring in someone to back up LJ. No reason to waste games on a bridge guy in this situation IMO

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I also don't think RG3 will make the final roster; there is just no reason to do so. Flacco is the starter, if something happens that would keep him out a few games, they'll bring in someone to back up LJ. No reason to waste games on a bridge guy in this situation IMO
    We need someone better than LJ is at the moment in the event Flacco gets hurt, which has happened multiple times in the past few years. RG3 is leagues better than Mallet, Schaub, or Clausen were and would keep our playoff hopes alive.

Three weeks later.... updating my list after seeing a couple more games and injuries.

Cutting back on wide receivers considerably and added an extra tight end and offensive linemen.

Added an extra corner until Smith comes back, and a linebacker instead of defensive line.

OFFENSE (24)

QB (2)

Joe Flacco, Lamar Jackson

RB (4)

Alex Collins, Buck Allen, Kenneth Dixon, Patrick Ricard

WR (5)

Michael Crabtree, John Brown, Willie Snead, Chris Moore, Janarion Grant

TE (5)

Hayden Hurst, Mark Andrews, Nick Boyle, Vince Mayle, Maxx Williams

OL (8)

Marshal Yanda, Ronnie Stanley, Orlando Brown, James Hurst, Matt Skura, Alex Lewis, Bradley Bozeman, Jermaine Eluemunor/Veteran

DEFENSE (26)

S (5)

Eric Weddle, Tony Jefferson, Chuck Clark, Anthony Levine, Kai Nacua

CB(6)

Brandon Carr, Marlon Humphrey, Tavon Young, Maurice Canady, Anthony Averett, Darrious Williams

LB (6)

CJ Mosely, Kenny Young, Patrick Onwuasor, Matthew Judon, Kam Correa, Tyus Bowser

RUSH (3)

Terrell Suggs, Za’Darious Smith, Tim Williams

DT (2)

Brandon Williams, Willie Henry,

NT (2)

Michael Pierce, Chris Wormley

DE (2)

Brent Urban, Zach Sieler

ST (3)

Justin Tucker, Sam Koch, Morgan Cox

Notable Cuts/IR/Suspended/Practice Squad/Traded:

Robert Griffin
    Jimmy Smith
    Tim White
    Jordan Lasley
    Breshard Perriman
    Darren Waller
    Jaleel Scott
    Gus Edwards
    De'Lance Turner
    Mark Thompson
    Greg Senat
    Nico Siragusa
    Carl Davis
    Bronson Kafusi
    Stanley Jean-Baptist
    DeShon Elliott
    Albert McClellan
    Chris Board
    Bam Bradley
    Jaylen Hill

Here is my revised 53:

QB: Flacco, RG3, LJ
    RB: Collins, Dixon, Allen
    FB: Ricard
    TE: Hurst, Andrews, Boyle, Mayle
    WR: Crabtree, J. Brown, Snead, Moore, Lashley, Grant
    OL: Stanley, Lewis, Hurst, Yanda, OB2, Skura, Bozeman, Siragusa, vet OT.

DL: BW, Pierce, Urban, Sieler, Henry, Wormley
    LB: Suggs, Mosley, Onwausau, K. Young, TW, Bowser, Z. Smith, Correa
    CB: Smith, Carr, Humphrey, T. Young, Averritt, Canady, (Baptiste only until Smith returns).
    S: Weddle, Jefferson, Clark, Levine.

ST: Tucker, Koch, Cox.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenIsh View Post
    Here is my revised 53:

QB: Flacco, RG3, LJ
    RB: Collins, Dixon, Allen
    FB: Ricard
    TE: Hurst, Andrews, Boyle, Mayle
    WR: Crabtree, J. Brown, Snead, Moore, Lashley, Grant
    OL: Stanley, Lewis, Hurst, Yanda, OB2, Skura, Bozeman, Siragusa, vet OT.

DL: BW, Pierce, Urban, Sieler, Henry, Wormley
    LB: Suggs, Mosley, Onwausau, K. Young, TW, Bowser, Z. Smith, Correa
    CB: Smith, Carr, Humphrey, T. Young, Averritt, Canady, (Baptiste only until Smith returns).
    S: Weddle, Jefferson, Clark, Levine.

ST: Tucker, Koch, Cox.
    You forgot Judon