Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Playing for Hue Jackson is punishment

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    With the player safety climate in the NFL what it is I'm surprised there hasn't been more heat on this, or maybe there is and I haven't seen it. Him playing the whole game is one thing but Hue waving him back out when he wanted to come off for a breather is a dick move at best in a PS game and potentially life threatening at worst. Who would want to play for a coach that does that?
    Well, if Lombardi did it ...

But Hue is the Clown Prince of the NFL.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

Former players rip Hue Jackson’s “punishment” of Antonio Callaway
    Posted by Michael David Smith on August 14, 2018, 5:35 AM EDT

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...onio-callaway/

... Bc

I'm not watching Hard Knocks, but it sounds like Jackson comes across, as one journalist I heard describe it, "very odd."

I understand from what I've heard is that the vibe that his coordinators give, Williams and Haley, is that they don't really respect him, and he's had to insist on being in charge. Williams and Haley seem odd to me, as well. Haley was successful in Pitt but was run off. Williams seems like an a-hole. Maybe fiery guys make good coaches, but when you put them in Cleveland where there seems to be a decades-long culture problem, I'd be worried about fuel on the fire.

If I owned the Browns, I'd be looking to create as much stability as I possibly could--but they seem to do the opposite. GM John Dorsey earned a reputation for being a bit of a renegade, poor communicator who didn't get along with Andy Reid. Hue is an X's and O's guy more than a CEO type who can manage a staff. The coordinators seem like they have their own ego issues too. They draft one of the most enigmatic quarterbacks in the draft and are now trying to lure Dez Bryant.

I guess what I'm saying is that the Browns go to the plate each season trying to hit a grand slam and they strike out. If I'm the owner, I'd choke up and hit a few singles by creating stability and respectability and then build off of that.

Reminds me of George Steinbrenner when he used to threaten to fire Billy Martin over losing spring training games.

Could the players union file some sort of grievance about this? You have a coach admitting to the fact that he is punishing a player physically. The player asked to be taken out and given a breather and that request was admittedly recognized and refused.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I'm not watching Hard Knocks, but it sounds like Jackson comes across, as one journalist I heard describe it, "very odd."
    I understand from what I've heard is that the vibe that his coordinators give, Williams and Haley, is that they don't really respect him, and he's had to insist on being in charge.
    He's a liar and an asshole. Did you watch the Bengals Had Knocks series, when he was offensive coordinator there? They had a rookie gadget RB (this might have been Gio Bernard's rookie season), and Hue was bragging about him. Every time the RB broke off a big play, Hue would let the defense know about it. "He's great — you can't stop him — look out, he's coming again — I told you!" Shit like that. Hue was really, really chirping to the D.

So naturally the defensive players started to get pissed, and they started muttering. As I remember the episode, there was a little bit of talk back from them, which Hue either disregarded or shut down. So then they did the next natural thing: they started hitting the rookie RB. Hue kept chirping, and they started escalating, really hammering the guy. So here's Hue, writing checks with his mouth that his player's body has to cash.

This went on for a couple of practices, starting to get really bad for the RB — so Hue went whining to Marvin! "Mar-vin, they're hitting my RB in practice!" So Marvin, without the background, had to go lecture the D! It turned into a whole fucking thing; and it all started because that little bastard (a) had to run his mouth, and (b) wasn't enough of a grownup to de-escalate when the D players started getting mad.

Hue is an inventive play-caller; but he's a team-killer and a toxic shithead.

Williams and Haley seem odd to me, as well. Haley was successful in Pitt but was run off. Williams seems like an a-hole. Maybe fiery guys make good coaches, but when you put them in Cleveland where there seems to be a decades-long culture problem, I'd be worried about fuel on the fire.
    Williams is the Bountygate guy. Haley had a reputation as an asshole in Arizona and KC. Those Cards went to the Super Bowl; maybe Haley was a genius. Or maybe Kurt Warner & Larry Fitzgerald & Anquan Boldin & Steve Breaston & Edgerrin James & Tim Hightower were just that good. It might be worth pointing out that three of those players are or will be HOFers; that's not counting Boldin, whose virtues we well know.

If I owned the Browns, I'd be looking to create as much stability as I possibly could--but they seem to do the opposite. .. Hue is an X's and O's guy more than a CEO type who can manage a staff. The coordinators seem like they have their own ego issues too. ...
    I guess what I'm saying is that the Browns go to the plate each season trying to hit a grand slam and they strike out. If I'm the owner, I'd choke up and hit a few singles by creating stability and respectability and then build off of that.
    You are SO right. This trying to win quick shit only perpetuates the cycle. Straighten your shit out; first get to not-awful. Then try to get to average. Then worry about "good".

We like to criticize Harbaugh on this board; but imagine the positive impact Harbaugh would have on an environment like that. Brian Billick would make a difference there. But you'd need to start at the top.

What the Lions did is a good comparison. Their oh-fer season was 10 years ago. They brought in a solid, stable, experienced hand to be GM in Martin Mayhew . Mayhew hired Jim Schwartz, who is a hot-head, but he's a football guy and he hired veteran, non-controversial coordinators. They didn't crush the draft; but they drafted ok, and otherwise behaved reasonably; and three years after the oh-fer they won 10 games and made the playoffs. I don't think they crushed their next coaching hire either, but he's a solid, stable person. Nowadays, they're not the Patriots, but they're not a laughing stock either. They've had winning seasons in four of the last seven years.

Cleveland can't even see where the Lions are, from being so deep in the hole.

Punishment would be making him take all the snaps at Left Guard.

Blog Entries

One thing I like about playing against Williams' defenses is how deep he puts the free safety. Like 25+ yards deep on first and 10. It's a pattern.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    You are SO right. This trying to win quick shit only perpetuates the cycle. Straighten your shit out; first get to not-awful. Then try to get to average. Then worry about "good".
    I didn't even get around to mentioning they signed Jarvis Landry, who seems like he's a serial douche-nozzle. And they are sniffing around Dez Bryant.

Look at Baker Mayfield, who was easily the most talented QB in the draft, but clearly has some maturity/impulse control issues. On most teams I would expect him to mature beyond it. I worry about whether Cleveland can allow him to do that.

I think about some teams in recent years where ownership hasn't been great, and they bring in talented but volatile people--and never seem to get over the hump. Oakland at one time. Bengals. Miami. The DC-Skins. Cowboys.

Impatient owners who treat their teams like fantasy football...too simplistic maybe, but some truth to it I think.

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Punishment would be making him take all the snaps at Left Guard.
    Lmfao and getting Mayfield killed

Bahahhaa i wouldnt put it past hue

I understand from what I've heard is that the vibe that his coordinators give, Williams and Haley, is that they don't really respect him, and he's had to insist on being in charge. Williams and Haley seem odd to me, as well. Haley was successful in Pitt but was run off. Williams seems like an a-hole. Maybe fiery guys make good coaches, but when you put them in Cleveland where there seems to be a decades-long culture problem, I'd be worried about fuel on the fire.

If I owned the Browns, I'd be looking to create as much stability as I possibly could--but they seem to do the opposite. GM John Dorsey earned a reputation for being a bit of a renegade, poor communicator who didn't get along with Andy Reid. Hue is an X's and O's guy more than a CEO type who can manage a staff. The coordinators seem like they have their own ego issues too. They draft one of the most enigmatic quarterbacks in the draft and are now trying to lure Dez Bryant.

It could look like a remake of Major League II with the Browns being the ones fighting each other on the sideline.

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

The Browns live in hell.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_gZndxEvFNk

This is a depressing video showing how the Browns are so bad that it can’t be due to chance and bad luck alone. They are truly damned.