Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: John Brown

1. Re: John Brown

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Brown still has to stay healthy. Snead still has to prove he can play at a consistently good level. Crabtree still has to return to form.

This talk of this being the best receiving corp in the NFL is premature. They haven't proven a thing yet. Table this for the end of the year.
    Not, "in the NFL", just for the Ravens. That bar isn't nearly as high.

2. Re: John Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    I hope so, but why would we assume he's going to double the output of the average rookie 1st round TE? Because he's looked good in preseason? We haven't seen him against real NFL competition yet.

I am optimistic on Hurst, but I wouldn't guarantee that he'll double the production that recent history suggests we should expect.
    Joe Flacco loves throwing to his TEs and he loves reliable pass catchers. Hurst fits both descriptions. Brown is an injury risk and while Snead may be solid in the slot, I don't anticipate him setting the world on fire. Hurst is the only other guy, outside of Crabtree, who looks to be someone viable in the redzone as well. He will see a lot of targets.

Re: John Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon King Onaga View Post
    Joe Flacco loves throwing to his TEs and he loves reliable pass catchers. Hurst fits both descriptions. Brown is an injury risk and while Snead may be solid in the slot, I don't anticipate him setting the world on fire. Hurst is the only other guy, outside of Crabtree, who looks to be someone viable in the redzone as well. He will see a lot of targets.
    I do agree there. We don't have enough reliable alternatives to compete for targets. I also think his age and experience as a failed pro in another sport might help him come along a little quicker. But I would be surprised to see him up at 600+ receiving yards his first year. It just doesn't happen that often. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon King Onaga View Post
    This is how I see it going down too. Crabtree is going to be his Boldin, Hurst will be his Pitta, there will still be plenty of dump offs to the flats to the RB/FB/backup TE, and the rest of the WR will get the scraps with 1-2 touches a game each.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Brown still has to stay healthy. Snead still has to prove he can play at a consistently good level. Crabtree still has to return to form.

This talk of this being the best receiving corp in the NFL is premature. They haven't proven a thing yet. Table this for the end of the year.
    Has anybody claimed "best in the NFL?" It won't even be the best in our division.

But it is, for a Ravens group, outstanding; at least on paper.

Bringing this back to the surface because Smokey deserves to be recognized amid a terrible all around game for the team. John Brown has played very well. He can obviously run the go route and showed great concentration with that near impossible catch with multiple defenders in his face. But I also watched him run the comeback very nicely which is great to have a speed guy who can do that because they have to fear the speed.

Although he did drop a TD pass he has impressed. If he stays healthy he may well finish the year as our best receiver. I was skeptical about the signing initially but I love what he brings to the table.

Ps...he looks super tiny out there

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensforce83 View Post
    Ps...he looks super tiny out there
    The anti-Perriman. Plays much bigger than he is. He's a beast. Just hope he can stay healthy all year.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

He signed a one year prove it deal. If he holds up over the year. He needs to be resigned.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    He signed a one year prove it deal. If he holds up over the year. He needs to be resigned.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Agreed. He had a bad drop yesterday, but he's been as advertised so far. Best WR on the team.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

He's a playmaker along with Collins that we've been missing. Harbaugh is allergic to playmakers so we got lucky Brown has had such an injury plagued career to the point nobody else wanted him.