Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: ESPN article about Terps Football

Can't Court, Durkin, Evans, etc., be named individually in the coming lawsuit? Seems like Court will spend most, if not all of that golden parachute on legal fees.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    I still think the ESPN article is mostly crap, rumors, and innuendo from questionable sources with questionable motives. I would like to hear what Durkin did on the day McNair fell ill and what role he played. And the question remains how responsible he is for Court and other trainers not properly treating McNair.
    Supposedly the 29 May practice was videotaped, both by the team plus regular security cameras. Numerous entities are trying to obtain the tapes via Freedom Of Information Act requests. If the tapes do in fact exist, then we will eventually have a basis upon which to judge the actions of Durkin and others. And if they do not exist ... well then might as well tear it all down.

Can't Court, Durkin, Evans, etc., be named individually in the coming lawsuit? Seems like Court will spend most, if not all of that golden parachute on legal fees.
    Yup, nothing in the settlement protects Court from a lawsuit brought by the family. You could be right about where the $$$ will go.

Durkin called Court his most important hire. Durkin is getting fired it’s just a matter of when.

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    Durkin called Court his most important hire. Durkin is getting fired it’s just a matter of when.
    Court did end up being his most important hire... in a bad way

Blog Entries

People will be getting rightfully sued that's for sure.

That was the most incompetent medical/training staff I've ever heard of and I hope the McNairs own half of the campus after this lawsuit.

Nice of the school to finally accept getting bent over when they settle...they should have been running to the McNairs with a blank check a couple days after Jordan passed...but the moral responsibility absolutely is 2 months too late. It's a joke it took the AD and President this long to go down there to their home, meet with them, do every type of apologizing you can think of. That it took the media to push it to this point is a joke. As a father, it would have taken everything in me not to tell Loh and Evans to fucking go to hell when they got to my door (Ironically the man meeting with them the most and was at Jordan's side everyday besides the players were the coaches, Durkin in particular). To lose my son to pure negligence of a shitty trained staff that is supposed to be caring for my child...ugh. I have a son who likely will be getting a nice college scholarship for track...I can't imagine sending him off to someone else's care and then him never coming home again because those people I trusted him to killed him because they were spectacularly incompetent. I'm a huge MD supporter...I am so angry and disgusted by them right now it's silly.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

All that said, I don't see how Durkin and his staff survives either. Even if he isn't truly at fault for what occurred (and I'm not saying that's the case), the PR damage has been done. MD will cut bait no matter what.
    You cant be the coach of a football team and have someone die on the field. Responsibility is increased the higher you ascend in an organization. Any headcoach is capable of recognizing heat stroke, you dont need to be a medical provider to know when kids need a break. The entire program should be burnt to the ground and rebuilt.

the head coach is ultimately responsible. In this case as are the AD and President of the University if you look at how long the delay was for any sort of action

The program essentially killed a young man that otherwise would have been preventable had they taken 30 minutes out of their day to not be grossly negligent
    Burn it down

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    You cant be the coach of a football team and have someone die on the field. Responsibility is increased the higher you ascend in an organization. Any headcoach is capable of recognizing heat stroke, you dont need to be a medical provider to know when kids need a break. The entire program should be burnt to the ground and rebuilt.

the head coach is ultimately responsible. In this case as are the AD and President of the University if you look at how long the delay was for any sort of action

The program essentially killed a young man that otherwise would have been preventable had they taken 30 minutes out of their day to not be grossly negligent
    Well, coaches have survived players passing on the field/court before, I don't think that's so cut and dry.

Durkin's problem is 2 fold. First is the training staff's utter incompetence directly led to Jordan's passing. I know the trainers/medical team don't directly report to him (NCAA rule passed a year or so ago), but if everyone reacted like Ambrose's did at Towson for the kid up there that had a heat stroke...and Jordan still passed, I don't think we'd be quite as up in arms about what happened. The fact that they had a kid showing telltale signs of heat exhaustion and did nothing other than eventually putting him in front of fan is what raises everybodies ire IMHO.

The second is the article that came out Friday. The combination of the 2 is what is going to have him gone. If they actually did everything common sense should have said they should have done with Jordan, even if he passed, and the University was fast in coming forward with the facts and not dragging it's feet, I don't think that article is ever published and even if it is, doesn't have the impact that it did.

He's got to go, there isn't a way for him to stay IMHO even if he's not directly responsible...the program is dead anyway, but it's really dead with still there.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    That was the most incompetent medical/training staff I've ever heard of and I hope the McNairs own half of the campus after this lawsuit.

Nice of the school to finally accept getting bent over when they settle...they should have been running to the McNairs with a blank check a couple days after Jordan passed...but the moral responsibility absolutely is 2 months too late. It's a joke it took the AD and President this long to go down there to their home, meet with them, do every type of apologizing you can think of. That it took the media to push it to this point is a joke. As a father, it would have taken everything in me not to tell Loh and Evans to fucking go to hell when they got to my door (Ironically the man meeting with them the most and was at Jordan's side everyday besides the players were the coaches, Durkin in particular). To lose my son to pure negligence of a shitty trained staff that is supposed to be caring for my child...ugh. I have a son who likely will be getting a nice college scholarship for track...I can't imagine sending him off to someone else's care and then him never coming home again because those people I trusted him to killed him because they were spectacularly incompetent. I'm a huge MD supporter...I am so angry and disgusted by them right now it's silly.
    Agree 110%. I could give Loh a pass had this type of action been taken days - even a week or two after the incident. That is plenty enough time to find out what the training staff did - or more to the point - did not do in this incident. The fact that it is only coming out now, after the media reports on it, tells me they either really weren't serious in their initial investigation, or, God help them, they were aware of the facts and tried to whitewash it away. This isn't some recruiting violation involving a paid-for car and suitcase full of cash. A person died. I am still trying to wrap my head around the massive mismanagement by the University of this entire incident.

11. Re: ESPN article about Terps Football

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

I can't even imagine the fear that can go through a parent's mind reading about a story like this and recognize the reality of his this could happen to one of their own. It's truly terrifying and I don't even have children.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB58 View Post
    Bring in Freeman Hrabowski, tell him to put the students and academics first, and clean house.
    I would agree, but I would hate UMBC (my alma mater) to lose Hrabowski. Dude has done wonders for UMBC.