Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: ESPN article about Terps Football

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    I don't know. I don't see how Durkin survives this. And if he's getting canned, why not make it sooner so they can get on with next regime?
    I do believe he will be canned but the fallout to include possible NCAA investigations/violations, lawsuits and whatever else will take weeks and months to settle. the football program which had been showing a little life with recruiting may be as good as dead. No decent coach will want to come anywhere near this program now.

Quote Originally Posted by edtude View Post
    I do believe he will be canned but the fallout to include possible NCAA investigations/violations, lawsuits and whatever else will take weeks and months to settle. the football program which had been showing a little life with recruiting may be as good as dead. No decent coach will want to come anywhere near this program now.
    Maryland football is going to be radioactive for the next few years. But hey at least they get that fat check from the Big Ten network.

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    Maryland football is going to be radioactive for the next few years. But hey at least they get that fat check from the Big Ten network.
    The really bad thing is that some of the other Md programs that are decent like Mens and Womens Lacrosse, Field Hockey and Mens Soccer may suffer as a result of the radioactive state of the football program.

So Loh has admitted "moral and legal responsibility" for mistakes made by the "training staff" in treating McNair. What a tragedy. After Korey Stringer's death, any training staff member worth a damn should know how to identify signs of heat related illness and provide the appropriate initial treatment and secure additional treatment (i.e. call 911). I guess it still remains to be seen how much Court and Durkin were directly involved, and who ultimately will be held responsible. It's an indictment of both really, since they are both ultimately responsible to ensure that training staff is properly trained. The university is going to clean house from Durkin on down, most likely. Evans may get by, we'll see.

I'm still taking the claims made by the former players and staff with a grain of salt, but that's really a secondary issue, IMO. The lack of proper treatment for McNair alone is reason to clean house.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    So Loh has admitted "moral and legal responsibility" for mistakes made by the "training staff" in treating McNair. What a tragedy. After Korey Stringer's death, any training staff member worth a damn should know how to identify signs of heat related illness and provide the appropriate initial treatment and secure additional treatment (i.e. call 911). I guess it still remains to be seen how much Court and Durkin were directly involved, and who ultimately will be held responsible. It's an indictment of both really, since they are both ultimately responsible to ensure that training staff is properly trained. The university is going to clean house from Durkin on down, most likely. Evans may get by, we'll see.

I'm still taking the claims made by the former players and staff with a grain of salt, but that's really a secondary issue, IMO. The lack of proper treatment for McNair alone is reason to clean house.
    Court is out as strength coach. I am thinking they are just negotiating Durkins settlement and his resignation will be announced by the end of the week.

So as strength coach, is that akin to Court being the Head Trainer, or is someone else in that role? I guess Durkin, and probably to a lessor extent Court could make the claim that they got him to the attention of the training staff and they were negligent, but again, ultimately the buck stops at Durkin's feet to ensure that the Head Trainer and the Training Staff are competent and providing proper care to players.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    So as strength coach, is that akin to Court being the Head Trainer, or is someone else in that role? I guess Durkin, and probably to a lessor extent Court could make the claim that they got him to the attention of the training staff and they were negligent, but again, ultimately the buck stops at Durkin's feet to ensure that the Head Trainer and the Training Staff are competent and providing proper care to players.
    Basically. He would be responsible for all of the non-football workouts, offseason programs, conditioning, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    I didn't even mention Jim Tressel but he's like the least of the offenders, he was only laundering money
    was he? I never read much about his case, I thought he just covered up pryor and some others getting paid for selling gear for $ and tattoos or something
    Burn it down

Loh basically admitted the MD football team killed a player, or was negligent in his death (I am sure the player’s parents would find that to be a distinction without a difference)

And Loh didn’t find out about the details until the ESPN report, nor take action against the trainers for 2 months (allowing other players to be at risk) and is launching a 2nd investigation to follow the first one he previously launched.

This is mismanagement and incompetence to an unbelievable degree. The Governor or legislature or whoever needs to fire them all.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB58 View Post
    Loh basically admitted the MD football team killed a player, or was negligent in his death (I am sure the player’s parents would find that to be a distinction without a difference)

And Loh didn’t find out about the details until the ESPN report, nor take action against the trainers for 2 months (allowing other players to be at risk) and is launching a 2nd investigation to follow the first one he previously launched.

This is mismanagement and incompetence to an unbelievable degree. The Governor or legislature or whoever needs to fire them all.
    Agreed. A student died in a situation that was utterly preventable. This is unreal.

Fire them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Court is already gone, he resigned yesterday. I must've missed that. Here's another side of the coin in support of Durkin.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.58e74d48df8b

I still think the ESPN article is mostly crap, rumors, and innuendo from questionable sources with questionable motives. I would like to hear what Durkin did on the day McNair fell ill and what role he played. And the question remains how responsible he is for Court and other trainers not properly treating McNair.

Rick Court received a $315,000 golden parachute, which is 2/3 of what was owed him under his existing contract. He and the school also agreed not to sue each other:

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/statu...41901626306565

This settlement will ultimately come out of the state budget.