Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: ESPN article about Terps Football

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It doesn’t happen everywhere. Not even close. Take a program like Boise State which has thrived for decades through superior coaching and smart recruiting. Nothing like this would ever happen there and they still win. No excuses.
    Well said. Great example also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Well said. Great example also.

It might be but I've lost belief in any successful college program doing things "the right way". It's just gotten to that point. Officials can tell me till they're blue in the face and I'll just think they're lying.

As for Maryland, I want Rick Court and Wes Robinson indicted for involuntary manslaughter. If there's something the police can pin on Durkin or even Evans / Loh, great though I don't expect it. I have zero fucks left to give about the integrity and tradition of any major college program.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    It might be but I've lost belief in any successful college program doing things "the right way". It's just gotten to that point. Officials can tell me till they're blue in the face and I'll just think they're lying.

As for Maryland, I want Rick Court and Wes Robinson indicted for involuntary manslaughter. If there's something the police can pin on Durkin or even Evans / Loh, great though I don't expect it. I have zero fucks left to give about the integrity and tradition of any major college program.
    Yes yes. It’s all about the money Brother!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rosdaman View Post
    D. J. Durkin has been placed on leave, effective immediately:

https://twitter.com/umterps/status/1028395936328953863
    Durkin is done. There is no excuses for what happened.

Urban Meyer is probably the only person happy that Durkin is in trouble it takes the spotlight off of him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bst3975 View Post
    I'm not defending the school, it's athletic department, their hiring decisions (and of course not the terrible recent and likely preventable tragedy), but people need to remember the situation with Fridge. He was a good offensive mind, but results were fading recruiting was faltering. More importantly, he refused to retire as expected, which meant UM was forced either to pay a $1MM bonus to Franklin - which everyone knew they did not have - or he was free to go elsewhere. Fridge was not above trying to leverage his position to hold the Athletic Department hostage. The AD was weak, but he was in a terrible position on this one due to Debbie Yow's spending, the contract with Franklin, and Fridge being selfish.

Edsall was a bad hire and a bad contract, but that was a different issue, other than the timing of having to make a hire at a critical time for recruiting for the coming severely limited the AD's options.

Bottom line is Fridge crippled his alma mater.
    This was the when the dominoes started to fall. She had the gall to ask Gary Williams (fresh off their NCAA Championship) if he would consider taking charter buses to games because planes were too costly.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

6. Re: ESPN article about Terps Football

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    This was the when the dominoes started to fall. She had the gall to ask Gary Williams (fresh off their NCAA Championship) if he would consider taking charter buses to games because planes were too costly.
    Gary was one of the main reasons they had the money they had.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    I didn't even mention Jim Tressel but he's like the least of the offenders, he was only laundering money
    Yeah. His stuff is a parking ticket compared to the others.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Press conference at 2. Sounds like this will be over

Mind blowing idiocy. Durkin's head coaching career is over before it started.

Not even close to being over. This is going to take weeks if not months to reach its conclusion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edtude View Post
    Not even close to being over. This is going to take weeks if not months to reach its conclusion.
    I don't know. I don't see how Durkin survives this. And if he's getting canned, why not make it sooner so they can get on with next regime?
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

While I agree it looks bad, and I have serious concerns over what occurred, I also want more facts that provide evidence of negligence, abuse, and/or a cover up. The sources for the article were former staff and players who may very likely have an ax to grind with Durkin or others on the staff - I just wonder if we're getting unbiased information. See this article for the other side of the coin: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/t...812-story.html

Maybe Durkin and Court crossed the line between hard coaching and verbal/psychological abuse, maybe they didn't. Right now, it's a he said, he said.

I would very much like to see the result of the Walters investigation/report, as well as any other independent investigations by the Murphy law firm, as well as the NCAA (they've got to get involved if they haven't already, and shame on them if they haven't). Right now all we know for sure is that the workout started around 4:15PM, Murphy claims he had a seizure at about 5pm (and I have no reason to doubt that claim, just would like to see corroboration/confirmation from the report - fwiw from the article - "Maryland officials said in their statement: "At no point before or during the external review has a student-athlete, athletic trainer or coach reported a seizure occurring at 5 p.m.""), and 911 was called at 5:58 PM. I agree that I have VERY serious questions and concerns over what occurred between 5pm (or whenever he did show signs of distress if Murphy's claim is not accurate) and 5:58PM, and we need to get answers. But until we get those answers, I think it's premature to call for the firing of Court, Durkin, Evans, Loh, etc., at least based on supposition and anonymous accounts of former players, current players who may have personal bias against the staff, and former staff who may have been unceremoniously dumped by Durkin upon his hire.

If the facts turn out to support negligence in McNair's initial treatment by the trainers and/or coaches, any whiff of an attempted cover up, and/or specific verified examples/instances of verbal and/or psychological abuse that crossed the line of hard coaching, than by all means, responsible parties should be held accountable to include firing and appropriate criminal charges.

All that said, I don't see how Durkin and his staff survives either. Even if he isn't truly at fault for what occurred (and I'm not saying that's the case), the PR damage has been done. MD will cut bait no matter what.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...