Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Helmet Rule

Re: Helmet Rule

Quote Originally Posted by Jamauler2066 View Post
    They also ought to stop focusing their resources on trying to convince the public that a game where guys run full speed into each other can be made perfectly safe. If they would just be honest about what football is, do their best with advances in equipment and medical science and then, I dunno, take care of the damn players from the moment they walk into the league to the point where they are dead, if necessary, then the league wouldn't look so dumb. Sometimes I wonder if the NFL has managed to succeed in spite of itself.
    I hate injuries as much as the next guy but they are going to happen in this league.

Quote Originally Posted by Gjennings85 View Post
    I hate injuries as much as the next guy but they are going to happen in this league.
    As with in any sport, really. The NFL also just needs to accept that there is a certain percentage of the public that just is not going to be into football. It's like they keep chasing that next layer of casual fan rather than preserving the great experience for those who are already fans. It's already the most popular sport in the damn country. Just don't mess it up.

Blog Entries

There was a player wearing a hat that said "Make football violent again" and a lot of players feel that way. They don't want the softened version, they want the gladiator sport they love.

It really is a turning point which could make the game look very different in a few years.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

42 was flagged on this play. what else could he have done?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1028122611299934208

Quote Originally Posted by Jamauler2066 View Post
    As with in any sport, really. The NFL also just needs to accept that there is a certain percentage of the public that just is not going to be into football. It's like they keep chasing that next layer of casual fan rather than preserving the great experience for those who are already fans. It's already the most popular sport in the damn country. Just don't mess it up.
    My favorite sport and the anthem thing is running it too as well as all these helmet rules.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Some games this year will be decided by the interpretation of this new rule. There is no way around it.
    That's why I think they should have booth help to see if yeah, his shoulder made contact 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    The intent of the rule is fine but there should have been like a soft implementation this year where it's a reduced penalty or something. This is a much bigger change than most of the others they've implemented as you are literally asking hundreds of players to change the way they've tackled and played the game for years. I don't know that the preseason is enough time to change that and people are rightly going to be furious if and when this starts impacting the outcomes of real games.
    It's not fundamental tackling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post

You gotta keep your head up. Players keep lowering it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    You gotta keep your head up. Players keep lowering it.
    you didn't watch the clip. he was ran into, there is absolutely nothing he could've done. If anything, the ball carrier lowered his head

Quote Originally Posted by Gjennings85 View Post
    My favorite sport and the anthem thing is running it too as well as all these helmet rules.
    That's another issue that could have been nipped in the bud if they had been proactive in good faith rather than clumsily reactive. Once you've given a chance for people to side up and dig in their heals, you're screwed. You'll never find a solution that appeases both. They could have had a meeting with Kaepernick after the first time explaining that it's going to be a bad look for some, therefore bad for business. We appreciate what you are trying to do and would like to throw some of the weight of the NFL behind your cause if you're willing to play along. Boom. Both problems solved constructively and long before anyone is holding an irreparable grudge.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post

I wish I could have gotten a better look at where 42 was coming from a step or two before he comes into the shot. It's hard to tell if he was running, launching, pushed, etc. I didn't see the game. Maybe someone here was watching and they can weigh in?

Blog Entries

Has this been called on an offensive player yet? This isn't a defense only rule, yet from what I've seen they have only been called on defensive players.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52