Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Helmet Rule

1. Re: Helmet Rule

American Football is a violent sport by nature. There is no way around that. The reinforcement of proper tackling is a good measure, but it is not going to stop injuries to the head. That's just an ignorance of concussions and how head contact works in the NFL.

Re: Helmet Rule

Simple question - how many of the diagnosed concussions have been caused by helmet to helmet contact and how many have been caused by helmet to ground contact, or helmet to other body part (knee in most cases) contact?

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Simple question - how many of the diagnosed concussions have been caused by helmet to helmet contact and how many have been caused by helmet to ground contact, or helmet to other body part (knee in most cases) contact?
    Evaluating concussions is still far from solved. Anyone can rule a concussion when someone is wobbly when they get to their feet, or throwing up on the sideline, but some guys like Nowinski think guys can sometimes suffer 100s of concussions of varying degrees while playing football for their lives.

My issue is not from the medical side of things, but from the whole notion that they are trying to take the violence out of football. As long as the risks are constantly talked about, and made extremely aware to the players, then I have no problem as a fan accepting the consequences. I would imagine that an extremely large percentage of the population would take great risks for fortune and fame, especially doing something they love or to get their families out of the lower class. In fact there have been a number of players that come from very rich families that still chose to accept the risks.

Instead of taking the violence out of football, the NFL needs to step up and shell out money for doctor's bills long after the player retires (especially considering the average playing career has been so drastically shortened. The NFL needs to get rid of the idea that the sport needs to appeal to everyone, because they are at a risk of losing the hardcore fans. I know my life for the first 33 years in the fall really revolved around football. I allocated money to pay for season tickets, travel to away games, buy jerseys every year, recently flying across the country to attend Ravens home games, and make sure my schedule was completely open every NFL Sunday. I never thought in a million years I would ever sell my season tickets (especially at a loss), but after I did it this winter I feel it was the right decision. I no longer read absolutely every article about football, play fantasy football, or buy jerseys. The league is not what it used to be.

Especially as a Ravens fan, I believe we have a different outlook on football which really valued toughness and defense. Watching a league now where absolutely every big hit is met with a penalty flag regardless of the legality of the hit changes things for me. We have seen the direction football was taking for 15 years now, and the ball is still rolling downhill to make the league as pansy as possible. Maybe the higher ups are satisfied with the direction of the game, but they are underestimating completely the importance of losing the hardcore audience. I think attendance will continue to show that this year, and it's really just completely irritating that anyone thinks this rule is for the positive. I would imagine those that are happy about it have not been football fans for long.

Blog Entries

There were a couple this weekend that looked like textbook tackles. It's going to be interesting...
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

The one on the Cardinals safety (I think) was embarrassing. Just awful. Imagine that play deciding the outcome of a big playoff impacting game or even the Super Bowl.

I think this really has a chance of turning people off of the game, moreso than any other rule they've put in place.

Amazing how fast they've gone from a decade ago where the NFL and the networks were happy to have segments on big hits (remember Jacked Up?), entire shows dedicated to big hits, highlight reels, etc., and now we're at the point where textbook tackles are being flagged.
    Twitter: @3nd0worm

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the manís preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

I like the spirit of the rule, but several have been thrown already where the defensive player clearly was using his shoulder. I agree this is going to kill the game.

As with a lot of the rule changes, they try to word something that sounds very specific. But they ignore the fact that it is two objects in very fast motion, one trying to make contact and the other trying to avoid it. It's like the defenseless receiver rule where defenders were getting flagged because they lined up a good tackle but the receiver adjusts to avoid or brace for contact.

How is this new rule somehow different from spearing which was already a penalty? Other than including that it could be called on offense now too. This is a reaction to the Shazier injury, which was clearly not a good fundamental tackle. And I thought he had a tendency to tackle that way as the norm, as did James Harrison.

I thought when they announced the rule change, they claimed to have reviewed all the tape from last year and only identified 3 tackles that would have been a violation of this new rule. There were at least 3 flagged in the HOF game alone!