Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: Lamar's Progress

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Winning will do that. If Flacco goes out and has the season of his career leading the Ravens deep into the playoffs, do you really think anyone will still be clamoring for an unknown QB who at this point is inaccurate, and just recently learned how to throw a spiral?

LJ for me is promising Flacco insurance, but if this re-energized Flacco shows up for real in games and it lasts, why on earth would we want to see him ushered out the door for LJ. If Flacco bombs it's a different story, but right now he's their best bet to win with. I don't want to watch a losing season just to begin the LJ era.
    Indeed. If you want to "energize the fan base" then win games.

Watching LJ's athletic abilities might be exciting but it will wear thin quickly with a few 5-6 win seasons.

We need to see more Flacco. They should have left him in for another series last week. He looked great for one drive but we need more. The 2nd and 25 conversion to a first down is what impressed me. That and he hit many of his new targets to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by filthflarnfilth View Post
    Flacco is no Favre.
    And LJ is no Rodgers, certainly as far as passing ability.

And I know I might take some flack here, but while Favre was a very good QB I frankly think he is overrated a bit. He won one SB and threw more INTs than anybody in history. Rodgers is better, and by a bit, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by QuothDaRaven View Post
    I agree that winning is important and all true fans wanna see Flacco and the Ravens do well. I’m not advocating we start LJ now. I’m fine with him sitting. If our inconsistent (and Super Bowl winning) “re-energized” 33-going-on-34-year-old-monument-to-mediocrity has a season of his career, all the better for his trade value next year. The writing was on the wall the moment we drafted a first round QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It would be the height of stupidity to trade away a QB who has a great season for what is a crap shoot.

I have a lot more confidence in Deshaun Watson than Lamar and Watson still has a lot to prove. Watson could bomb out. Kaepernick looked great for a few seasons, then the league caught up to him.

If Flacco plays lights out this year I think he comes back next year, at least. And if he puts together 2 good seasons Jackson might be the trade bait. I know that will send some of you into cardiac arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    It would be the height of stupidity to trade away a QB who has a great season for what is a crap shoot.

I have a lot more confidence in Deshaun Watson than Lamar and Watson still has a lot to prove. Watson could bomb out. Kaepernick looked great for a few seasons, then the league caught up to him.

If Flacco plays lights out this year I think he comes back next year, at least. And if he puts together 2 good seasons Jackson might be the trade bait. I know that will send some of you into cardiac arrest.
    Flacco will look better this year, almost by default (have you been watching him these last few years?!?!). And that’s awesome, and I hope we get another SB out of him. But we didn’t draft LJ to trade him. Look at how many shots Boller got. Look at how many shots Elam got, and Perriman is still getting. If you know this team, you know we aren’t trading our first round QB in year two, or three, or four. He’s on a cheap rookie contract (unlike Flacco), and the best case scenario for the team is not that our 35, 36, 37 year old underachieving QB suddenly “gets it” and decides to play lights out. It’s that our young QB on his rookie contract plays well enough to win, and we use the extra cap space to sign Khalil Mack or some other superstars and inject some star power back into this team.

Because the Ravens have been boring for a long time. Not just boring, but aggressively ulcer-inducingly PAINFUL, lol. Suggs is as close to a superstar as we have. LJ was drafted to be that next star, and he will get every single opportunity to shine. I’ve started to view some of the team’s decision-making through the lens of entertainment value and marketability, and Lamar Jackson isn’t going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by QuothDaRaven View Post
    Flacco will look better this year, almost by default (have you been watching him these last few years?!?!). And that’s awesome, and I hope we get another SB out of him. But we didn’t draft LJ to trade him. Look at how many shots Boller got. Look at how many shots Elam got, and Perriman is still getting. If you know this team, you know we aren’t trading our first round QB in year two, or three, or four. He’s on a cheap rookie contract (unlike Flacco), and the best case scenario for the team is not that our 35, 36, 37 year old underachieving QB suddenly “gets it” and decides to play lights out. It’s that our young QB on his rookie contract plays well enough to win, and we use the extra cap space to sign Khalil Mack or some other superstars and inject some star power back into this team.

Because the Ravens have been boring for a long time. Not just boring, but aggressively ulcer-inducingly PAINFUL, lol. Suggs is as close to a superstar as we have. LJ was drafted to be that next star, and he will get every single opportunity to shine. I’ve started to view some of the team’s decision-making through the lens of entertainment value and marketability, and Lamar Jackson isn’t going anywhere.

Boller got a lot of shots because we had nothing else. And they brought in McNair during that time. Keeping Flacco would be essentially getting McNair. LJ is going to have to show he can win games and from the pocket. Running QBs, as has been said over and over, don't last long. Wilson is only because he can throw the ball.

If Flacco wins a SB per your scenario it would be criminally stupid to move on from him for a guy that isn't going to last much longer than Flacco given his age. LJ has to stay in the pocket and move the team with his arm to show he can be the guy for more than 4-5 years.

Boller got a lot of shots because we had nothing else. And they brought in McNair during that time. Keeping Flacco would be essentially getting McNair. LJ is going to have to show he can win games and from the pocket. Running QBs, as has been said over and over, don't last long. Wilson is only because he can throw the ball.

If Flacco wins a SB per your scenario it would be criminally stupid to move on from him for a guy that isn't going to last much longer than Flacco given his age. LJ has to stay in the pocket and move the team with his arm to show he can be the guy for more than 4-5 years.
    It’s way too premature to say either way. I hope we win, whether it’s with Flacco or LJ. We know what Flacco’s ceiling is, and his floor, and we know he’s been living near his floor far more than his ceiling for the majority of his giant contract. Let’s see how it goes, fortunately there’s no impetus to move LJ anywhere for financial reasons (in fact the opposite), but there’s definitely pressure, both financial and from an entertainment standpoint, to move on from Flacco. And the team knows it, or else they wouldn’t have moved up to draft a first round QB. Writing’s on the wall.

And I know I might take some flack here, but while Favre was a very good QB I frankly think he is overrated a bit. He won one SB and threw more INTs than anybody in history. Rodgers is better, and by a bit, IMO.
    Agree 100%. Rodgers is unreal.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

LJ isn't going to be playing in the regular season so I am not that worried about him getting hurt running. He is going to play the equivalent of about 2 more games. Obviously we need to keep RG3 so he will need some snaps, as will Flacco. Then LJ will sit most if not all of the season.

My main concern is seeing his completion percentage go up.

He looked a lot better in game 2 but he still needs to get to 60%.
    I'm pretty sure Harbaugh is on record saying that Lamar is indeed playing this year.

Quote Originally Posted by burnwood View Post
    I'm pretty sure Harbaugh is on record saying that Lamar is indeed playing this year.
    Not to any lengthy degree, at least until we are eliminated from playoff contention.

Agreed entirely. Taking Rodgers over Favre on any sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    I didn't see much progress from Lamar going from the HOF game to the Rams.

He still doesn't look comfortable or decisive in the passing game. This is partly on Martywhig/Urban but Lamar has to make it work.

He started off with a great throw, good ball placement on a slot-seam route. BUT it was probably the wrong read/bad decision. Great throw though....then from there on he was scatter shot.

There were a few throws where he makes a good read his ball placement was off. e.g. the pass to Buck Allen should have been at least chest level and lead Allen by a couple of feet for a catch and run.

Too often he's bailing from the pocket when all he needs to do is plant his leg and make a throw....but in order to make the right throw he needs to be certain where the ball should be going AND he needs to keep his eyes downfield and not drop his vision to look at the rush and take off running.

Lamar is capable of playing much better then he's shown thus far in preseason. Right now he looks like the young rookie that he is, trying to stop hyperventilating and settle down.

But his dynamic make a defender freeze and whiff ability is still on display. He juked a DL to the ground and froze a DB for a cutback TD run on the same play.

And he occasionally gets rid of the ball to right person on time at the top of his drop with accuracy.
    But he's got to make that the norm...and quickly

I would love to discuss/make a thread about each of Lamar's plays...but I think I might end up talking to myself lol
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    I'll say it when healthy McCown is a better qb. Flacco really hasn't been good since winning the SB and that is well before any injury narrative can be constructed he's been crap ever since he got paid.
    I dunno — I mean the problem is the "injury narrative" is part of the discussion.

• The whole offense was crap in 2013 (Caldwell/Castillo)
    • Joe was good in 2014
    • Joe shredded his knee in 2015
    • Joe missed whole offseason before 2016; Trestman
    • Joe had back injury in 2017

The last season Joe had that was unaffected by injury was 2014 — and he was good that year.