Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Kneeling during the Anthem

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    This has happened in the area I sit and I'm sure elsewhere in the stadium. People mostly just go on about their business, maybe toss a dirty look. Personally, I don't care. You do you.

It certainly doesn't give you the right to "accidentally" spill your beer on them as some kind of vigilante justice for a perceived crime that is actually just someone exercising their Constitutional rights. That just makes you an asshole.
    *slow clap*

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Re: Kneeling during the Anthem

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool1983 View Post
    So, hypothetically, how would you feel/how would you react if you saw a fan in the stands kneel down during the Anthem. Like emulating the players. Kneeling down in solidarity?
    I would never kneel during the anthem. But it's a free country. I would just ignore the fans kneeling (just like I ignore the fans who boo the home team which is something else I never do). As Americans we have choices. If the kneeling starts taking over the game I can choose to do something else on Sundays.
    Last edited by ERey; 08-08-2018 at 09:21 AM.

I saw a couple do this at my daughter's high school volleyball game last season and I can't adequately describe the anger that went through my head. To not only do this repulsive act, but to do it at a high school game in front of kids made me sick - we are supposed to set a good example for our kids I thought. It would bother me less at a Ravens game, but it would still bother me. And yes seeing people talking or wearing hats or generally not paying any attention during the anthem also ticks me off. Guess I'm old fashioned but that's how I feel.

Blog Entries

I would never tell someone else how to parent, but it would seem to me that getting angry over someone else doing something that literally has no impact on you is about as far from setting a good example for children as you could get.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Last fall my daughter's fastpitch softball team had some of their practices at a nearby HS. Sometimes the HS football game would be going on near where they practiced. Without prompting from the parents, when the anthem would start for the football game they would stop practice, turn toward the flag, and some would put their hands on their hearts. Once the anthem was over they went right back to practice.

People have the right to do whatever they want in regards to free speech. I also have the right to tell them they're a moron for doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I would never tell someone else how to parent, but it would seem to me that getting angry over someone else doing something that literally has no impact on you is about as far from setting a good example for children as you could get.
    The anger was in my head as I mentioned. To set a good example for the children I did not react to their ignorant display and stood at attention and showed respect for the flag. To react to them or throw something at them would set a bad example which I would never do in that environment

Blog Entries

I stand hand/cap over heart when the Anthem is played. Since we are fortunate enough to have Freedom of Speech in our great land, what someone else does doesn't bother me. The players that kneel in protest have that same right. I just ignore it and hope for a good game with my team winning... Bc

Blog Entries

I'd be too busy standing, hat removed and hand on heart to be focused on those doing otherwise. I do remember though being at a Jets game in the 90s where a Rams fan kept his hat on and other fans screamed at him through the whole anthem and pretty much tortured the guy the whole game. He left in the 3rd quarter. Not sure they would have done the same if he had been a Jets fan

Blog Entries

I don't have a problem with it- from the players or the fans.

I'd rather see someone kneeling in protest during the Anthem than waddling off to get more cheesy fries and beer.

I would take a very dim view of any unamerican "patriot" who physically tried to stop or punish them from exercising this right. This 30 year vet takes his oath seriously.
    Last edited by bacchys; 08-08-2018 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Remove Tapatalk line

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I'd be too busy standing, hat removed and hand on heart to be focused on those doing otherwise. I do remember though being at a Jets game in the 90s where a Rams fan kept his hat on and other fans screamed at him through the whole anthem and pretty much tortured the guy the whole game. He left in the 3rd quarter. Not sure they would have done the same if he had been a Jets fan
    Some people really take offense to people not being respectful during the anthem. I have forgotten to take my hat off and had someone tap me and remind me. Of course I took it off. It is annoying to me when people are talking or making noise during the anthem. While it is annoying it does not mean people should do anything about it.

The way that I see it, I'm disappointed that people kneel -- but I'm not angry at them as people. I'm disappointed that things have gotten to the point in this country that people feel like they're not happy with what's going on in this country. I'm also disappointed that this is even a conversation. Standing and saluting the flag is what you do when you're proud of your country. Its great when we see this. But are we supposed to be force people to lie and act like trained, caged animals when they don't agree with what's going on in the country?

If you think that people are disrespecting the flag when they are being honest, either work on fixing what's going on, or get rid of the anthem before events.