Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gus Edwards

1. Re: Gus Edwards

I noticed something that I find a bit odd about yesterday's game. It started when I saw Buck Allen only had 1 carry yesterday. I knew I had seen him on the field quite a bit (confirmed by snap count, 28 offensive snaps), so that didn't make much sense to me. He did have 3 catches on 3 targets (and a 4th target nullified by a penalty), but that still seems low for him. He had another carry opportunity late in the game (Q4, 6:47), but he committed a false start. It's a bit odd to me that the team ran 35 times total (including 30 from RBs), and he only got one.

I was digging a bit deeper into some data today, and I realized that his only carry and 3 of the 4 targets all came on the first drive. He last target came on the failed drive at the end of the 1st half. He did not record a stat in the 3rd or 4th quarter and was only involved in that one play in the 2nd quarter.

I'm curious if any site breaks down snap counts into quarters or drives. I'm also worried that Buck is a bit banged up and that's costing him snaps. If so, that could mean that Edwards sees a lot more snaps next Sunday.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Re: Gus Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    that was Collins claim to fame last year was that he made something out of nothing and wouldn't go down, now he falls down as soon as he gets touched, he looks to have lost that explosiveness I don't know if he's playing hurt or ... but even when he gets some wiggle room he's not making that first guy miss anymore. Something is off with Collins.
    I told you all. He put on a few pounds of muscle in the offseason to "get stronger", and it fucked him. Misguided. Speed & elusiveness was his thing.

that was Collins claim to fame last year was that he made something out of nothing and wouldn't go down, now he falls down as soon as he gets touched, he looks to have lost that explosiveness I don't know if he's playing hurt or playing with bad vision making him indecisive, the Oline is not great at run blocking Lewis, Skura and Hurst out of position will do that to a run game, but even when he gets some wiggle room he's not making that first guy miss anymore. Something is off with Collins.
    He bulked up a little in the off-season to try and be more durable. I remember when Rice did that going into 2013.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    He bulked up a little in the off-season to try and be more durable. I remember when Rice did that going into 2013.
    Yes. Bad move.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Did they re-sign Mark Thompson to the PS as well?
    They did!

Blog Entries

Someone on Twitter said, I think it was Ross Tucker, and it has stuck with me since I read it, always bet on guys who come to camp lighter than the year before, not heavier. Even if it was intentional. I would say that's especially true when you are a RB.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

that was Collins claim to fame last year was that he made something out of nothing and wouldn't go down, now he falls down as soon as he gets touched, he looks to have lost that explosiveness I don't know if he's playing hurt or playing with bad vision making him indecisive, the Oline is not great at run blocking Lewis, Skura and Hurst out of position will do that to a run game, but even when he gets some wiggle room he's not making that first guy miss anymore. Something is off with Collins.
    I disagree. I think Collins is still staying up and still shaking guys off, just there are either no lanes in which to run (O-line not creating them) or it's a design problem always going to the outside, or the line breaks instantly (giving away the run or there is no disguised run because they keep everyone in to chip block and help Hurst who is being propped up to look average at RT). Collins is also just punishing D-linemen with rib cracking blocks when the O-linemen set them up for him. Filmstudy mentioned this and if you look for it, it's as plain as day. He is just straight up brutal and out to hurt guys. It is fantastic to watch as someone who likes to see a "physical offense and defense" as Boldin once put it. Collins is a NFG gangster in unassuming Irish dancing disguise.

Blog Entries

Also, I can tell you from personal experience that you change once you start dancing enough, your mind and body become something else and you are quicker and livelier and you naturally just find ways to avoid others if there is a hint of spatially conflicting invasion of your personal space. My guess is that Collins has that working for him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    I noticed something that I find a bit odd about yesterday's game. It started when I saw Buck Allen only had 1 carry yesterday. I knew I had seen him on the field quite a bit (confirmed by snap count, 28 offensive snaps), so that didn't make much sense to me. He did have 3 catches on 3 targets (and a 4th target nullified by a penalty), but that still seems low for him. He had another carry opportunity late in the game (Q4, 6:47), but he committed a false start. It's a bit odd to me that the team ran 35 times total (including 30 from RBs), and he only got one.

I was digging a bit deeper into some data today, and I realized that his only carry and 3 of the 4 targets all came on the first drive. He last target came on the failed drive at the end of the 1st half. He did not record a stat in the 3rd or 4th quarter and was only involved in that one play in the 2nd quarter.

I'm curious if any site breaks down snap counts into quarters or drives. I'm also worried that Buck is a bit banged up and that's costing him snaps. If so, that could mean that Edwards sees a lot more snaps next Sunday.
    You might be on to something here. Makes sense with the new running back addition to the PS. This deserves monitoring.

For what it looks like they want Edwards role to be, id prefer Thompson. He was a bowling ball in preseason and I think the only reason they kept Edwards over him was ball security history

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smoothSeph View Post
    For what it looks like they want Edwards role to be, id prefer Thompson. He was a bowling ball in preseason and I think the only reason they kept Edwards over him was ball security history
    For whatever reason, Edwards was productive last Sunday. 10 carries for 42 yards (obviously 4.2 ypc) as the #2 RB is a fine days work. Keep in mind all the others accumulated 81 yards on 25 carries (3.2 ypc). Of course it's only one game, but a game that will have him playing against the Saints in Baltimore this Sunday too... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    That said, I think Edwards will be a great second half option for them. Big, physical and aggresive at the point of attack. Exactly the type of guy you want when you go ball control.
    Edwards is big enough to break tackles, in preseason and v. Tenn. he has showed ball security. Still gotta give Buck Allen some rushes to keep him useful as an outlet backfield receiver, but I like dressing Edwards, Collins, & Allen at this point. Maybe not a 3-headed Monster, but some complementary skill sets @ RB.