Training Camp Memories

I'm working on a piece about the changes in the NFL, some of which aren't so great, and training camp came to mind...the way it used to be. I'd like to gain your participation if possible. Could you share some of your fondest memories of TC from years past, particularly those at McDaniel College?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: Training Camp Memories

I remember taking my son to McDaniel; the first time we went was Flacco's rookie year. We could stand on the sidelines, five yards out of bounds, and see and hear everything. I took my camera gear (I shot sports in college), but the boy got his hands on it and never gave it back. Turns out, at age 12, he was better at it than I was; must have been all the video games. His best shot was of Derrick Mason making his signature sideline catch, toes touching just in-bounds.

IMO, the team lost some of their connection to fans when they moved.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

I remember being able to chat (for a few seconds) with the players as they were headed back from practice. Jersey signings were easy to obtain if you happened to be sitting between the field and the locker room, and the players didn't have to be somewhere else shortly after.

They definitely lost a lot of that emotional investment of the fans when training camp moved to the castle. Opening it back up via lottery-style tickets will help, but it will never be the same.

McDaniel was the best training camp. The whole family would head up and spend the day. We usually went 2-3 days in a row. Flaccos Rookie year was the best. My son was about 10 and he got what seemed like the whole teams autograph on his football. ‘09 was cool also. We got to talk to Harbs after practice for what seemed like 45 mins. He signed stuff. Shook hands. Took pics with people. It was great. I learned a new respect for Suggs that day. He , along with Ray and Reed were signing for people until some Ravens people came and got Suggs and took him in a golf cart. He’s maybe 60-70’ from the fans when Ray yells at him to come back cause a little girl( maybe 4-5 yrs ) has a Suggs jersey and shes on her dads shoulders trying to see him. Suggs sees her..jumps out the moving cart and comes back and signs her jersey and takes a pic with her. Classy. Last practice of the day Willis takes off his cleats , signs them and throws them into the crowd of kids. That team LOVED the fans. After every practice it seemed like the trainers were dragging the players off the field from signing stuff.
    Ravens need to bring this back if they really want to regain the fan base!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 35 and grew up near Westminster and unfortunately didn't go to the training camp at Mcdaniel until it's last few years there. First time going was 2009 and I went again in 2010. Both years I took my nephew who was about 12 or 13 and was a Steelers fan. He got so many signatures and got to interact with so many players... Ngata, Suggs, Flacco, McGahee, Ray Lewis, Rice. But most impressive both times I went was Ed Reed. Ed had so much fun interacting with the fans and you could tell he was genuine and it wasn't just something he had to do. Both times he was the last player out signing and went above and beyond. My nephew dropped the Steelers after those two summers and remains a Ravens fan today and there's no doubt it was from his experiences at Mcdaniel. We still talk about those memories. Even though I didn't attend many times I miss it.