Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The Dark Side Of The Singularity

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Count me in that group. I've spent my entire adult life in Command and Control...outside of general office work experience, I have very little skills that translate into another career.
    I wasn't even referring to you Dade, lol. I mean, I'm sure you see it to. We all know those guys and gals that basically are getting GS 13 or 14 pay to go and sit at a desk and they're not really asked to do anything, grow, learn, nada. Nothing. They've got it made in the shade. All they have to do is wait it out for their probationary year and it's damn near impossible to fire someone.

Or that one jerkoff that is working at OPM processing clearance paperwork. They literally have no other job but to do that. They're completely content making their GS 11 money to do a mindless job that doesn't ask anything of them at all.

It's a real shame, IMO. Wasted talent.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    At what point does that business model eat in to your customer base? Meaning, for every job that goes away, there is one less customer (unless another job is created).

Very fine line we'll be walking here soon.

Might be getting time to head back to farming. Tough to see robots really taking that over completely.
    That's what I'm saying NC.

I think some folks that are linking a universal basic income with increased automation and AI have a point. What are we going to do with all of those people that are going to be put out of a job due to automation/AI? If the assumption is that AI/automation will take over a vast majority of service-based jobs, you're talking about millions of displaced people now out of work. Not all of them are going to be capable of learning a new trade. Not all of them are going to be willing to learn a new trade.

What do we do with those folks? How are they supposed to live?

I'm telling you NC...buying 500 acres in northern Montana or something is sounding better and better...buy 500 acres most of it wooded in the hills/mountains. Clear about 10 acres for a house, crops, and livestock.

robots dont pay taxes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    robots dont pay taxes
    And that's another interesting aspect of this. How to incur taxable income from an automated workforce?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    And that's another interesting aspect of this. How to incur taxable income from an automated workforce?
    Thats easy. Higher business tax. $$ has to come from somewhere. If AI effectively destroys the “lower middle class” you have to replace that tax base. Can’t let it fall on the Middle Class ...we already foot the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I'm saying NC.

I think some folks that are linking a universal basic income with increased automation and AI have a point. What are we going to do with all of those people that are going to be put out of a job due to automation/AI? If the assumption is that AI/automation will take over a vast majority of service-based jobs, you're talking about millions of displaced people now out of work. Not all of them are going to be capable of learning a new trade. Not all of them are going to be willing to learn a new trade.

What do we do with those folks? How are they supposed to live?

I'm telling you NC...buying 500 acres in northern Montana or something is sounding better and better...buy 500 acres most of it wooded in the hills/mountains. Clear about 10 acres for a house, crops, and livestock.
    Montana ( although beautiful) is tough to make a go. Short growing seasons. Harsh conditions for most domesticated live stock. Chickens would be easy. You’d prob need a huge green house , and it would be better economically to raise Buffalo/Bison as apposed to cattle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Thats easy. Higher business tax. $$ has to come from somewhere. If AI effectively destroys the “lower middle class” you have to replace that tax base. Can’t let it fall on the Middle Class ...we already foot the bill.

That would require some major overhauls in the entire economic system. We'd no longer be capitalists...we'd be something much different.

The gubberment would have to figure out a way to increase taxes on companies that implement AI/automation without having those companies leave the country and taking taxable revenue with them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Montana ( although beautiful) is tough to make a go. Short growing seasons. Harsh conditions for most domesticated live stock. Chickens would be easy. You’d prob need a huge green house , and it would be better economically to raise Buffalo/Bison as apposed to cattle.

That's true...but you get where I'm going with that. :-)

Basically depending on yourself.

Blog Entries

this is why i tell young folks to explore being a plumber. check out how much masters make
    Racist!!!!!
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

That's true...but you get where I'm going with that. :-)

Basically depending on yourself.
    Oh yeah. Hell thats part of the reason I’m moving to Delaware.

I wasn't even referring to you Dade, lol. I mean, I'm sure you see it to. We all know those guys and gals that basically are getting GS 13 or 14 pay to go and sit at a desk and they're not really asked to do anything, grow, learn, nada. Nothing. They've got it made in the shade. All they have to do is wait it out for their probationary year and it's damn near impossible to fire someone.

Or that one jerkoff that is working at OPM processing clearance paperwork. They literally have no other job but to do that. They're completely content making their GS 11 money to do a mindless job that doesn't ask anything of them at all.

It's a real shame, IMO. Wasted talent.
    LOL I know you weren't. But yeah...I see those people all the time and it pisses me off. I'm a GS-12 and the 13s and 14s are the most useless, waste of spaces I've ever encountered.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

robots dont pay taxes
    How much you wanna bet that as these new technologies development, our government will give tax breaks to those companies. They already do it with solar/wind power.

That would require some major overhauls in the entire economic system. We'd no longer be capitalists...we'd be something much different.

The gubberment would have to figure out a way to increase taxes on companies that implement AI/automation without having those companies leave the country and taking taxable revenue with them.
    We would fundamentally have to change our economic system. We wouldn't be capitalists...what would an economic system would like where the vast majority, if not all of the low end to low middle end jobs are no longer filled by humans? It's something we need to start thinking about. Automation is allowing going to become more integrated as technology progresses.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller