Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

The Dark Side Of The Singularity

Very interesting video on the rise of automation. What happens to our economy when machines can not only do the job but also perform routine maintenance on itself? Or when all truck drivers are replaced with automated vehicles? Like Joe Scott in this video, this scares me more than almost anything.

Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Re: The Dark Side Of The Singularity

It's definitely something to consider. We're a long way from that though, IMO. I think there are some things that we'll see in our lifetime, but going from where we are now to where full automation/robotics performs practically everything...who knows, if ever. We're at the early stages of a lot of AI.

Something interesting to consider though -

If AI/automation performs basically all service labor, etc...would that mean there is no more need for income at all? And if there is no more need for income, the Federal Reserve goes away, banks go away, etc.

What I will say is that the more you see things like "$15 Minimum Wage" and "Universal Basic Income" the more you'll see businesses innovate with machines and AI to not have to pay some degenerate 18 year old $35,000 a year to flip burgers.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Back in the 80s and 90s when people we all worried about factory jobs going overseas I said then losing our factory jobs to Malaysians wasn't too big of a deak. Eventually we will lose them to robots and computers.

So what do we do now? Some labor jobs like electrician, plumber, mechanic, etc will not be done away with all of that soon. There are too many variables, currently, that can't be anticipated by a programmer.

But tasks that are repetitive like on factory lines have been replaced with robots for decades. Those jobs and ones like flipping burgers are not going to be here in a few decades, if they last that long. This needs to be impressed on young people. Go into a skilled job if college and robotics/computers/engineering are not in your future.

Artistic jobs (including things like commentary, philosophy, etc) and anything that is human expression are viable jobs though I don't know how many people will be able to be involved in them.

The next 2-3 decades are likely to see those who are unable to find work becoming more desperate, not just for money but for some sense of purpose. It, I hate to say, is likely to get very ugly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Back in the 80s and 90s when people we all worried about factory jobs going overseas I said then losing our factory jobs to Malaysians wasn't too big of a deak. Eventually we will lose them to robots and computers.

So what do we do now? Some labor jobs like electrician, plumber, mechanic, etc will not be done away with all of that soon. There are too many variables, currently, that can't be anticipated by a programmer.

But tasks that are repetitive like on factory lines have been replaced with robots for decades. Those jobs and ones like flipping burgers are not going to be here in a few decades, if they last that long. This needs to be impressed on young people. Go into a skilled job if college and robotics/computers/engineering are not in your future.

Artistic jobs (including things like commentary, philosophy, etc) and anything that is human expression are viable jobs though I don't know how many people will be able to be involved in them.

The next 2-3 decades are likely to see those who are unable to find work becoming more desperate, not just for money but for some sense of purpose. It, I hate to say, is likely to get very ugly.
    I am still very much anticipating the US Federal Government collapsing at some point in our lifetimes.

That's going to be rough. A lot of unskilled people work for the USG and have become accustomed to living a certain lifestyle that their skills do not reflect in a more competitive market.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post

This has been my concern as well.

6. Re: The Dark Side Of The Singularity

If I were a young person today, or advising one, I'd be looking into robotics as a career path in some way, shape or form. Also, I believe it's coming faster than most think. I imagine Mickey D's, etc. are working fast and furious to automate. Right now.

Here’s a thought. Lets go back and teach kids and young adults a Trade. Robots and AI are never going to be able to ::: build buildings, weld, build ships , service HVAC, work on automobiles , etc. Like I used to tell my plumbing students...” every asshole needs a plumber. “.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Here’s a thought. Lets go back and teach kids and young adults a Trade. Robots and AI are never going to be able to ::: build buildings, weld, build ships , service HVAC, work on automobiles , etc. Like I used to tell my plumbing students...” every asshole needs a plumber. “.

I like it.
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post

Each of those fields you listed already use a large amount of automation. I do agree with teaching young people a trade.

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I am still very much anticipating the US Federal Government collapsing at some point in our lifetimes.

That's going to be rough. A lot of unskilled people work for the USG and have become accustomed to living a certain lifestyle that their skills do not reflect in a more competitive market.
    Count me in that group. I've spent my entire adult life in Command and Control...outside of general office work experience, I have very little skills that translate into another career.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Each of those fields you listed already use a large amount of automation. I do agree with teaching young people a trade.
    To a degree yes. But a human has to actually service and or install your HVAC unit at home or business. A human is gonna service your car. Construction trades will always be done by humans.