Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: First Ballot Hall of Famer.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    You try walking through a gas chamber and see if you have the energy to go all out.
    Plenty of all time greats have played on shit teams and never quit. Barry Sanders.

Moss is still #2 WR all time though don't get me wrong

Legitimate first ballot Hall of Famers in the modern era to complement this thread:
    1. Ray Lewis
    2. Peyton Manning
    3. Randy Moss

I do not follow the Hall of Fame very much any more because only the best of the best should be there. Hailing from the state of Ohio, we used to go there a lot as a kid. It has gotten too much commercialized as of late. I tend to be more traditional, aristocratic, or elite when qualifying a player for the HOF. ...I can be persuaded by stats to even included more.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    Look at that bum Flacco LOL

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    So, I take it you're putting a good portion of Harrison's success on Manning? Just asking.
    My thoughts exactly. Marvin was drafted in 1996.

Isaac Bruce was drafted in 1994 and was a pretty adept route runner also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by QuothDaRaven View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Marvin was drafted in 1996.

Isaac Bruce was drafted in 1994 and was a pretty adept route runner also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Isaac Bruce is horribly underrated. He was one of the better receivers in football in 1995-96, before the Greatest Show on Turf. He still gets knocked for being a "system WR". But I think he makes it eventually.

Hard to say on Marvin Harrison. Many great WRs had great QBs throwing to them. Or at least Pro Bowl types. Rice had two HOFers - Montana and Young. Who made who better?

This is why I rate Tim Brown top 10 all time. He had so many different QBs to deal with and most of them were crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    I think what we should do is make the comparisons by separating the eras.
    Fair point. Hutson is not listed as a Modern Era WR. He was an Old Era Split End. So he can be taken out. Alworth and Warfield however remain.

People are definitely picking sides now that the HOF did their reaction. Michael Irvin is on the HOF side.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/07/14/mi...nement-weekend

"We can't spend this moment for all these other guys talking about the guy that is not here," Irvin said at the National Fantasy Football Convention on Saturday. "You cannot do that and take that away. He's doing his own thing wherever he's doing his own thing, and God bless him. And when they mention the class they'll mention him, but why should you steal those other guys' moment because of the decision of this one?

"I think it's the right move. They're not saying he's not going to have a bust in the room. They're not saying he's not getting his jacket. They're saying, 'We're honoring his wish. He doesn't want to be here with us, we're going to mention him as little as possible.' I think it's the right move."

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Since the mid-90s, the best 7 I've ever seen (alpha order):

Carter
    Fitz
    Johnson, Andre
    Moss
    OchoCinco (routes, routes, routes...and oh yeah, routes)
    Rice
    SSR
    No Calvin ?

Quote Originally Posted by Baltravens View Post
    Legitimate first ballot Hall of Famers in the modern era to complement this thread:
    1. Ray Lewis
    2. Peyton Manning
    3. Randy Moss

I do not follow the Hall of Fame very much any more because only the best of the best should be there. Hailing from the state of Ohio, we used to go there a lot as a kid. It has gotten too much commercialized as of late. I tend to be more traditional, aristocratic, or elite when qualifying a player for the HOF. ...I can be persuaded by stats to even included more.
    I think you left out LaDanian Tomlinson, Brian Urlacher, Jason Taylor, Brett Favre, Junior Seau, Derrick Brooks, Walter Jones, Larry Allen, Jonathan Ogden, Warren Sapp, Marshall Faulk, and Deion Sanders. That's all the first ballot guys induced from 2011 to now.

Ed Reed and Tony Gonzalez are up next year, also would be likely first ballot guys. Obviously Brady once he gets eligible. I think Larry Fitzgerald and Adrian Peterson are also strong contenders whenever they decide to hang it up. I think guys like Revis, Jason Witten, and Champ Bailey aren't first ballot because they didn't have the same "flash", especially in their later years (even if they deserve to be).

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    No Calvin ?
    calvin> SSR > ocho