Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

First Ballot Hall of Famer.

I was watching a few videos about the Terrell Owens/Hall of Fame situation and it seems like much of this stems from how hurt he is that he didn't get in on the first ballot. So, I decided to look up how many guys have actually made it on the first ballot. Firstly, there are less than 400 players/coaches in the Hall of Fame. There are only about 80 who made it in on the First Ballot. The NFL has been around for more years than that. That's how rare it is. I just found that interesting.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: First Ballot Hall of Famer.

He definitely got shafted on it.

T.O. is at least top 5 WR of all time dead or alive.

1. Jerry Rice
    2. Don Hutson
    3. Lance Alworth
    4. Paul Warfield
    5. Randy Moss

Cool Re: First Ballot Hall of Famer.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    1. Jerry Rice
    2. Don Hutson
    3. Lance Alworth
    4. Paul Warfield
    5. Randy Moss
    If you are going to list Don Hutson, you should sure as hell also list Raymond Berry!

1. Jerry Rice
    2. Don Hutson
    3. Lance Alworth
    4. Paul Warfield
    5. Randy Moss
    Good grief lets face it people, some of these 1940s guys were legends in their own eras but they would get absolutely bulldozed by modern day football players.

3 guys better than Randy Moss is a hilarious joke.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Re: First Ballot Hall of Famer.

WOW, he didn't get in on the 1st ballot so he's having a hissy fit? T.O. you got voted into the HOF and should be proud not disappointed. Talk about childish... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    WOW, he didn't get in on the 1st ballot so he's having a hissy fit? T.O. you got voted into the HOF and should be proud not disappointed. Talk about childish... Bc
    Nornally I would agree but it's the principle of it. He was shafted for character issues I believe and that really has nothing to do with him talent wise.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Nornally I would agree but it's the principle of it. He was shafted for character issues I believe and that really has nothing to do with him talent wise.
    Shafted? He was voted into the NFL Hall of Fame! I'm sure quite a few of the voters didn't like him, yet voted for him because of his prolific career. To me that is reason enough to join your peers, make an acceptance speech, and receive this honor that very few are good enough to earn... Bc

F to f him hard

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Good grief lets face it people, some of these 1940s guys were legends in their own eras but they would get absolutely bulldozed by modern day football players.

3 guys better than Randy Moss is a hilarious joke.
    If we go by that metric then no receiver prior to Jerry Rice would be in the top 10. I put emphasis on performance relative to peers. In which case Don Hutson was basically Babe Ruth. He lapped the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Shafted? He was voted into the NFL Hall of Fame! I'm sure quite a few of the voters didn't like him, yet voted for him because of his prolific career. To me that is reason enough to join your peers, make an acceptance speech, and receive this honor that very few are good enough to earn... Bc
    See he feels entitled so not going first ballot means he might as well not be a Hall of Famer, or something. Never mind that the following players also didn't go first ballot (among others):

Herb Adderly, Chuck Bednarik, Bobby Bell, Tim Brown, Chris Carter, Len Dawson, Richard Dent, Dan Dierdorf, Chris Doleman, Art Donovan, Carl Eller, Otto Graham, Marvin Harrison, Mike Haynes, Ted Hendricks, Elroy Hirsch, Sam Huff, Michael Irvin, Sonny Jurgensen, Cortez Kennedy, Jerry Kramer, Paul Krause, Night Train Lane, Willie Lanier, Yale Lary, Bobby Layne, Larry Little, Sid Luckman, John Mackey, Don Maynard, Randall McDaniel, Lenny Moore, Ozzie Newsome, Leo Nomellini, Orlando Pace, Alan Page, John Randle, Willie Roaf, Andy Robustelli, Joe Schmidt, Shannon Sharpe, Art Shell, Will Shields, Dwight Stephenson, Michael Strahan, Fran Tarkenton, Derrick Thomas, Thurman Thomas, Emlen Tunnell, Mike Webster, Aeneas Williams, Kellen Winslow, Willie Wood, Ron Yary, Jack Youngblood, Gary Zimmerman

He's a microcosm of a concerning trend in today's culture where people are happy living in their corporate-wrapped bubbles because they're proud and with that pride comes entitlement. Pride is supposedly a sin, but it is now a Virtue in America.

I'll give TO one thing. He was a hard worker. He did that service for himself. He made sure he squeezed every statistic he could out of his career. Heck he still wants to play in the NFL and he's in great shape. He was not better than all of those guys I listed. Certainly not better by any measure than the way he's shitting all over them.

Also -- Ray Lewis, Randy Moss, Brian Dawkins... all shat on. They are no longer the story. Am I right? Who right now wants to talk about the face of our franchise going to the Hall of Fame? We would rather talk about Owens.

If we go by that metric then no receiver prior to Jerry Rice would be in the top 10. I put emphasis on performance relative to peers. In which case Don Hutson was basically Babe Ruth. He lapped the competition.
    I think what we should do is make the comparisons by separating the eras.