Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Five things that need to go right this season

Rygar, that was always my read on Pees. While others were quick to point to how conservative he was, I was always cognizant that he often asked his starters to "cheat over" and help out when forced to play reserves. It wasn't a defense of him, per se, but I often remind myself I'm just a dope on a message board and he's respected D coordinator. I was willing to consider the idea that being more aggressive could have led to getting badly beat, and that maybe "game management" was smarter.

Now that he's gone, we'll see if Wink stays aggressive when guys go down, and what results.

Even if he succeeds under "next man up" conditions, it may not be an indictment on Pees. I'm willing to consider pointing to Ozzie and asking if he simply failed to provide adequate reserves. When bad mistakes are made drafting bust safeties and having to blow the cap on veteran replacements, or when they draft linebackers who can neither cover nor rush the passer--when they pass on a dynamic safety and linebacker we all were drooling over, it makes you go, hmmm.

If they are a much better defense, I'll wonder how much credit to give Wink vs better drafts.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    If they are a much better defense, I'll wonder how much credit to give Wink vs better drafts.
    I won't. If we're better right away, before depth even comes into play, then we'll know that Pees was coaching the instincts right out of his players. I think we'll be able to tell in the first game or two.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    I won't. If we're better right away, before depth even comes into play, then we'll know that Pees was coaching the instincts right out of his players. I think we'll be able to tell in the first game or two.
    I think it will be harder than that to pinpoint. Health will be a major factor. When Pees had a mostly healthy roster, he usually had the Ravens top 5 in most defensive categories. Most of us just never trusted it because we knew it wouldn't last. We had all seen too many late season collapses to ever trust whatever rankings they had. Last season really drove home the health factor though because we saw the noticeable difference when Brandon went down early and the run defense immediately tanked. With all the linemen we supposedly had that made for a great rotation, they could not seem to overcome the loss on an impact starter. he came back, defense regained it's footing and then Jimmy took his annual trip to the IR at the worst possible time of the season. You knew that AB was going to go nuts in the late Steelers game with Jimmy out. And there was no doubt watching that Bengals game that it was going to come down to either a busted coverage or an AJ Green mismatch.

Blog Entries

1. Pass rushers need to step it the F up. Za, Bowser, T-Will, and Correa need to find ways to get on the field and get to the QB. Suggs shouldn’t be playing damn near every snap and Judon needs to continue his upward trend.

2. Joe and the receivers need to gel...quickly.

3. Collins needs to get to 1,100 yards rushing.

4. Interior DL’man need to step up. B-Will needs to earn that contract. Urban needs to stay healthy. Wormley and Henry need to get involved more.

5. Stay Healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Keep Joe upright.
    Get top line PR/KR
    Don't be tempted to overuse Jackson
    Replace Weddle/Jefferson
    Play smash mouth in all 3 phases.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Question is, whether Pees was conservative by nature, or in response to the quality of talent on the field
    Hi Shas, only wanted to respond to that one line. Ozzie/the Ravens poured so many assets, both in draft choices and FA $ into the defense, that I tend to believe Pees just didn't use all those defenders properly. Aside from Judon, I saw high (2nd and 3rd round draft choices) picking up splinters on the bench and not developing. I just hope Wink didn't grow up on the Pees tree... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Hi Shas, only wanted to respond to that one line. Ozzie/the Ravens poured so many assets, both in draft choices and FA $ into the defense, that I tend to believe Pees just didn't use all those defenders properly. Aside from Judon, I saw high (2nd and 3rd round draft choices) picking up splinters on the bench and not developing. I just hope Wink didn't grow up on the Pees tree... Bc
    It also seemed telling that all the defenders that did play early seemed to do their best as rookies.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

1- Is Health. Can changing the field , Saunders workouts , simple practices finally pay off and we have a relatively healthy year. Injuries happen of course. But Yanda , Joe and Jimmy needs to be health all season.
    2- Wink. Can he give CharmCity it’s mojo back on D , that’s been so long far gone. My feeling is he is. Sure only had one real season as a DC , i think, but a man that been on sidelines and set behind PeesTheBed, had to see what not to do in Baltimore. I do believe his experience will pan out for us in Baltimore to have a better attacking, hit you in mouth D. At least if we get burned hit some damn body.
    3- The Oline. Mainly the center position. Is Shura the answer? Can Lewis or Bozeman shock and take. Also feeling , Brown will be ok at RT , Yanda final ride and healthy year. Nico stealing the LG from Hurst. No matter the combo get the best 5 to gel Immediately. And is the Senat good enough to be a tackle backup this year or PS for a year.
    4- Start on Fire. Buffalo at home , Blow them bitches out. 37-0. Cash our thank you check at the bank for their playoff drought ending. Redemption on cincy days later. Then make a statement with Denver. Then grab the afc north title by thanksgiving.
    5- Crabtree, Snead , Brown, Moore, Scott , Lasley, Hurst , Andrews, Boyle, Collins, Allen, Dixon , White , Grant. Everyone one of them should be hungry as hell and show out for their QB. Playmakers. Make us look and feel like a great NFL offense to gameplan against.
    6- I’ll just add , A Playmaker at Returner. Give Rosburg (well Deserving) a good Playmaker there with the rule changes , i think we gonna have the best unit in league

1. Offensive Line gels - This is paramount. Good OL play will do wonders for the entire team. It will give Flacco time to throw, it'll open holes for Collins/Dixon/Buck and it'll allow us to sustain drives so the D can rest. I know people are worried about the LBs, but the instability at center & tackle and lack quality depth worry me the most.

2. Crabtree/Snead/Hurst - One (hopefully 2) becomes a reliable security blanket for Flacco, especially on 3rd down a la Boldin or Pitta. Less three-and-outs.

3. Marlon Humphrey - If he continues to develop into a #1 corner (and I believe he will), the entire secondary will feed off him and play better. Paired with Jimmy Smith for ~10 games, watch out. If Jimmy manages to play a full 16 then even better, but I sure as hell ain't counting on it.

4. Pass rush - I think Matt Judon will continue to develop and get 10+ sacks. As everyone else has said, the young guys need to step up, especially Tyus Bowser who I think will be one of Wink's biggest weapons.

5. Aggressive play-calling - Offensively, they need to call more play-action or RPOs; they have the personnel to finally execute it effectively. Defensively, I want some of that ferocious, organized chaos we've been missing for ages. Wink has all the tools in the toolbox...can he excel? I believe he can. Watching Pees squander all that talent, I think he schemes based on player's strengths and let's them play instinctively.
    "Put your goggles on, 'cause there's gonna be blood and guts everywhere!" - SSSr

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaniacx View Post
    1. Offensive Line gels - This is paramount. Good OL play will do wonders for the entire team. It will give Flacco time to throw, it'll open holes for Collins/Dixon/Buck and it'll allow us to sustain drives so the D can rest. I know people are worried about the LBs, but the instability at center & tackle and lack quality depth worry me the most.

2. Crabtree/Snead/Hurst - One (hopefully 2) becomes a reliable security blanket for Flacco, especially on 3rd down a la Boldin or Pitta. Less three-and-outs.

3. Marlon Humphrey - If he continues to develop into a #1 corner (and I believe he will), the entire secondary will feed off him and play better. Paired with Jimmy Smith for ~10 games, watch out. If Jimmy manages to play a full 16 then even better, but I sure as hell ain't counting on it.

4. Pass rush - I think Matt Judon will continue to develop and get 10+ sacks. As everyone else has said, the young guys need to step up, especially Tyus Bowser who I think will be one of Wink's biggest weapons.

5. Aggressive play-calling - Offensively, they need to call more play-action or RPOs; they have the personnel to finally execute it effectively. Defensively, I want some of that ferocious, organized chaos we've been missing for ages. Wink has all the tools in the toolbox...can he excel? I believe he can. Watching Pees squander all that talent, I think he schemes based on player's strengths and let's them play instinctively.
    mmx, I think you've made :

great points! ... Bc

Blog Entries

There's only one thing for me... Somewhere around game 15 or 16 when the Ravens are in the playoff hunt, the Defense under Don Martindale needs to finally hold the lead and secure a playoff spot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    There's only one thing for me... Somewhere around game 15 or 16 when the Ravens are in the playoff hunt, the Defense under Don Martindale needs to finally hold the lead and secure a playoff spot.
    ERay that starts at game #1. Then the defense is primed to do it later in the season. It cannot be turned on or off like a faucet. Let's hope Wink can be more aggressive, and use more of his young player resources, than his predecessor ever did... Bc